What's different between "safe" and "normal" mode?

What's different between "safe" and "normal" mode?

Post by Bruce Bowle » Sat, 06 Jan 2001 00:04:36

(crossposted to microsoft.public.win2000.general and .cmdprompt.admin)

I have 2 identical systems (well they're *supposed* to be identical :-)
and a DOS app that runs on one, but not the other (so I guess they're
not identical :-(.

A little more detail.  The app in question is a DOS/BASICA accounting
application that resides on a WNT server.  Both systems can map the
drive on the server.  Both systems can start the application.  On one of
the systems, the app runs just like it should, on the other system, the
app doesn't respond to keyboard events (and there's no capability to use
the mouse with this app).  The system doesn't hang (other apps run fine)
it's just that this app apparently doesn't "see" the keyboard.

If I boot the "bad" system into "Safe mode with network support", the
app works fine.  My assumption at this point, therefore, is that it's a
problem with a driver, but which one?  Is there a list of which drivers
are loaded differently when in safe vs normal mode?  Is there soemthing
else I should consider?  By all outward appearances, the drivers that
I've looked at (video and keyboard, they're the 2 "obvious" ones to me)
the 2 systems have the same set of drivers on them, based on "driver
details" from the hardware profile.

Thanks in advance for your help...

What's different between "safe" and "normal" mode?

Post by Paul McNall » Fri, 19 Jan 2001 21:25:58

you can look at the services to see which aren;t running - you may be able
to track it down that way.

Quote:> (crossposted to microsoft.public.win2000.general and .cmdprompt.admin)

> I have 2 identical systems (well they're *supposed* to be identical :-)
> and a DOS app that runs on one, but not the other (so I guess they're
> not identical :-(.

> A little more detail.  The app in question is a DOS/BASICA accounting
> application that resides on a WNT server.  Both systems can map the
> drive on the server.  Both systems can start the application.  On one of
> the systems, the app runs just like it should, on the other system, the
> app doesn't respond to keyboard events (and there's no capability to use
> the mouse with this app).  The system doesn't hang (other apps run fine)
> it's just that this app apparently doesn't "see" the keyboard.

> If I boot the "bad" system into "Safe mode with network support", the
> app works fine.  My assumption at this point, therefore, is that it's a
> problem with a driver, but which one?  Is there a list of which drivers
> are loaded differently when in safe vs normal mode?  Is there soemthing
> else I should consider?  By all outward appearances, the drivers that
> I've looked at (video and keyboard, they're the 2 "obvious" ones to me)
> the 2 systems have the same set of drivers on them, based on "driver
> details" from the hardware profile.

> Thanks in advance for your help...

1. Boots "Normal" but not in "Safe Mode"

Hello,

I cannot boot my system into safe-mode.  Using Win98, PII 450, 128MB memory.
I get these errors from the Bootlog (see below) and the computer hangs.
With a normal boot these "loadfail" fonts are not attempting to load.  How
do I correct/delete these problem fonts?????

"LoadStart = c:\windows\fonts\MARLETT.TTF
LoadFail = c:\windows\fonts\MARLETT.TTF Failure code is 0016

LoadStart = c:\windows\fonts\SSERIFE.FON
LoadSuccess = c:\windows\fonts\SSERIFE.FON
LoadStart = c:\windows\fonts\NWGTHC.TTF
LoadFail = c:\windows\fonts\NWGTHC.TTF Failure code is 0016

LoadStart = c:\windows\fonts\NWGTHCB.TTF
LoadFail = c:\windows\fonts\NWGTHCB.TTF Failure code is 0016

LoadStart = c:\windows\fonts\NWGTHCI.TTF
LoadFail = c:\windows\fonts\NWGTHCI.TTF Failure code is 0016

LoadStart = c:\windows\fonts\LHANDW.TTF
LoadFail = c:\windows\fonts\LHANDW.TTF Failure code is 0016

LoadStart = c:\windows\fonts\LSANSI.TTF
LoadFail = c:\windows\fonts\LSANSI.TTF Failure code is 0016

LoadStart = c:\windows\fonts\LSANSUNI.TTF
LoadFail = c:\windows\fonts\LSANSUNI.TTF Failure code is 0016

LoadStart = c:\windows\fonts\BKANT.TTF"

--

This E-mail is SHAREWARE.
If you continue to use it after 15 days; Please Register.

   ??

2. Answer my qwestion, please

3. Boots "Safe" but not "Normal"

4. Error message exiting Internet Mail 3.0

6. "All The Telecom Execs Who Contribute [to TELECOM] Daily"

7. What's different "Logon Event" and "Account Logon Event"

8. Display user input

9. "My AD Folder" between "My Documents" and "My Computer"?

10. "Start" "Run" "????????"

11. Explorer "Read" access but deny "copy" and "write"

12. "RIS" + "choice screen options" + " custom setup"

13. Default settings for "Open" "Save", "Save As" etc.