SFC, WFP, and Service Pack Question

Post by David Walke » Wed, 01 May 2002 02:37:45

Article Q254135 says that Windows File Protection searches for the "correct"
files in DLLCache, then in the network installation path if any, then asks
for the install CD.

Shouldn't it also look in x:\Winnt\ServicePackFiles\i386?  If not, then
using sfc /purgecache will cause the system to ultimately destabilize.
Unless, of course, sfc /purgecache then populates DLLCache with files from
ServicePackFiles.  Is this the case?

I have read all the KB articles I can find on WFP and SFC, but I don't see
where it describes exactly how the files in the ServicePackFiles directory
come into play.  This should be described somewhere, unless I just missed
it.

Thanks for any insight.

David Walker
DWalker at senderocapital dot commmmm (com, actually) (no junk e-mail
PLEASE)

Post by Jerold Schulma » Wed, 01 May 2002 05:31:44

>Article Q254135 says that Windows File Protection searches for the "correct"
>files in DLLCache, then in the network installation path if any, then asks
>for the install CD.

>Shouldn't it also look in x:\Winnt\ServicePackFiles\i386?  If not, then
>using sfc /purgecache will cause the system to ultimately destabilize.
>Unless, of course, sfc /purgecache then populates DLLCache with files from
>ServicePackFiles.  Is this the case?

>I have read all the KB articles I can find on WFP and SFC, but I don't see
>where it describes exactly how the files in the ServicePackFiles directory
>come into play.  This should be described somewhere, unless I just missed
>it.

>Thanks for any insight.

>David Walker
>DWalker at senderocapital dot commmmm (com, actually) (no junk e-mail
>PLEASE)

It also uses the files pointed to by ServicePackSourcePath, tip 2509 in the 'NT
Reg Hacks' at http://www.jsiinc.com
Also, see tip 3788.

Jerold Schulman / MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com

1. Does running SFC require reinstall of Service Packs?

I've had a lot of system troubles.

I just ran SFC /Scannow.

It took quite a long time to run.  It found many files
that had to be restored to their original state.

Is this because the files were corrupt?

Or because I have put on Service Packs?

After Runnins SFC, do I need to reinstall the service
packs?

Thanks, Bob

2. Synthetic Life (evolving computer worms)

3. Service pack 2 and sfc /scannow

4. alphaStation 250 DIGITAL Unix - where is the /dev/ttyS?

5. SFC (Windows File Protection) Service Pack 2 in Windows 2000

6. The promise of the Xbox

7. windoze SFC (or WFP) wants files I dont have !

8. boot stops if biprocessor

9. Using sfc(Systrm File Checker) after Service Pack 2

10. system file checker (SFC) asks for service pack 1 cd?!

11. WFP/SFC and CDDB and EZCD

12. Service Pack 2 and sfc /scannow

13. SFC after Service Pack update?