Custom folder icons? Works in Win 98.

Post by Lee C » Wed, 20 Mar 2002 00:20:47

I've set up a dual boot system here, WIN 98 and WIN 2000, each on different
bootable partitions invisible to each other, and most applications and data
on ''D:\>'', visible to both.

In WIN 98 I set up specific icons to many of my more important folders.  Did
this by setting the folders to ''system'' and inserting a ''desktop.ini''
file in the folder.  The icons are kept in D:\icons, visible to both WIN 98
and WIN 2000, so they can both get at 'em.  A typical ''desktop.ini'' file
of my make would read as follows:

    [.ShellClassInfo]
    IconFile=d:\icons\targetfolder-ltblue.ico
    InfoTip=Moved from C:\Windows\

In WIN 2000, this will, when hovered, show the InfoTip, but not the icon--I
get a default ''error'' icon, the bent corner page with the WINDOWS flag on
it.  This is no good.  I wanted to make the folders distinguishable at a
glance, now,
in WIN 2000, they're hard to distinguish from .txt files.

In WIN 98 obviously, that got me a custom icon for the folder shown
onscreen.

Now, from the WIN 2000 generated ''C:\Documents and Settings\Lee
Chestnut\Recent'' folder, I get the following ''desktop.ini'' file which
does, indeed, show a custom folder icon to WIN Explorer in WIN 2000.

    [.ShellClassInfo]
    InfoTip=History Folder
    IconFile=%SystemRoot%\System32\shdocvw.dll
    IconIndex=-20785
    ConfirmFileOp=0

Some differences are obvious, but I have no real clue why my ''desktop.ini''
files would work in WIN 98, but not in WIN 2000.  I have installed
Irfanview, so I have a viewer installed that'll handle .ico files, so that
shouldn't be it.  But, unless perhaps WIN 2000 will ONLY handle special
icons from a .dll file or some such, then I'm clueless as to what I'm doing
wrong.  Or, does that ''ConfirmFileOp=0'' mean something I don't understand?

Any suggestions?

1. Custom icons for folders won't show (works in WIN 98)

I've set up a dual boot system here, WIN 98 and WIN 2000, each on different
bootable partitions invisible to each other, and most applications and data
on ''D:\>'', visible to both.

In WIN 98 I set up specific icons to many of my more important folders.  Did
this by setting the folders to ''system'' and inserting a ''desktop.ini''
file in the folder.  The icons are kept in D:\icons, visible to both WIN 98
and WIN 2000, so they can both get at 'em.  A typical ''desktop.ini'' file
of my make would read as follows:

    [.ShellClassInfo]
    IconFile=d:\icons\targetfolder-ltblue.ico
    InfoTip=Moved from C:\Windows\

In WIN 2000, this will, when hovered, show the InfoTip, but not the icon--I
get a default ''error'' icon, the bent corner page with the WINDOWS flag on
it.  In WIN 98 obviously, it got me a custom icon for the folder shown
onscreen.

Now, from the WIN 2000 generated ''C:\Documents and Settings\Lee
Chestnut\Recent'' folder, I get the following ''desktop.ini'' file which
does, indeed, show a custom folder icon to WIN Explorer in WIN 2000.

    [.ShellClassInfo]
    InfoTip=History Folder
    IconFile=%SystemRoot%\System32\shdocvw.dll
    IconIndex=-20785
    ConfirmFileOp=0

Some differences are obvious, but I have no real clue why my ''desktop.ini''
files would work in WIN 98, but not in WIN 2000.  I have installed
Irfanview, so I have a viewer installed that'll handle .ico files, so that
shouldn't be it.  But, unless perhaps WIN 2000 will ONLY handle special
icons from a .dll file or some such, then I'm clueless as to what I'm doing
wrong.

Any suggestions?

2. Hybrid Arts (Barefoot Software)

3. Icon thumbnails in Win 98 icon folder

4. Adaptec 2940UW & 2940UW2 in same server

5. Custom Icon for _ANY_ folder (not just shell folders)

6. Does anybody know how to dump Slot 30, 30's page 3?(C000-FFFFH)

7. Why would an app that works on Win 95 not work on Win 98

8. Domino inotes + Radius

9. Dual boot Win 98/Win 2000: Win 98 won't restart or shut down

10. Custom folder Icons in win2k. Possible?

11. Using Custom Icons for Folders. How do I?

12. Can I use Custom Folder Icons?

13. Getting to Safe Mode in Win 98 on a dual boot Win 98/Win 2000 system