Question about Norton Ghost 2001 and Win2k

Question about Norton Ghost 2001 and Win2k

Post by Nick » Tue, 24 Jul 2001 12:40:04

I have Norton Ghost 2001 and I have a few questions about creating the boot
disk for it with my Win2k machine.  I'm going to be ghosting my partitions
to CD, so I can restore them from the ghost image whenever I need to.  I
know that I'm going to need 2 ghost boot disks for this.  Norton says to use
the standard boot disk for writing the image to CD and the CD-ROM boot disk
for when I want to restore the image to my hard drive.  Both of these disks
can be created in the Ghost Boot Wizard.  Well, I was reading through
Symantec's site and one page says that boot disks can't be made with Win2k
because Ghost (doesn't specify which version) uses a different version of
DOS than Win2k, but another page says that with Ghost 2001 I can use the
Ghost Boot Wizard to create the disks.  That page doesn't say anything about
incompatibility with Win2k.  I tried ghosting one of my partitions and then
restoring it with boot disks that I made in the Boot Wizard under Win2k and
everything seems fine, but I just wanted to make sure that this is the
correct procedure before I try it with my partition that contains my OS.

Okay, one more question.  The standard boot disk made with the Wizard
contains these files:
GHOSTPE.EXE
AUTOEXEC.BAT
COMMAND.COM
IBMBIO.COM
IBMDOS.COM
MOUSE.COM

and the CD-ROM boot disk contains all of the above files, but I noticed that
the AUTOEXEC.BAT file was larger in size, plus these:
aspi2dos.sys
aspi4dos.sys
aspi8dos.sys
aspi8u2.sys
aspicd.sys
btcdrom.sys
btdosm.sys
CONFIG.SYS
flashpt.sys
mscdex.exe
oakcdrom.sys

When I boot with the first disk, everything is fine.  However, when I boot
with the second I get some errors that say something like "cannot load
device" or "installation failed."  with the aspi files.  My computer will
then load Ghost like normal.  I think the aspi files have to do with SCSI
devices.  I don't have any SCSI drives, so is this why I'm getting the
error?  If so, can I delete these files from the boot disk to avoid the
errors?  How about the other files?.....what are they used for and can I
delete any that I might not need?

Sorry about the long post guys, but I just want to make sure that everything
is correct for obvious reasons before I try ghosting my OS partition.  Your
help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Nick

Question about Norton Ghost 2001 and Win2k

Post by Amer Kari » Wed, 25 Jul 2001 11:35:20

yes, what you did is ok.

--
Amer Karim
Nautilis Information Systems

Quote:> I have Norton Ghost 2001 and I have a few questions about creating the
> [...]

> with the second I get some errors that say something like "cannot load
> device" or "installation failed."  with the aspi files.  My computer will
> then load Ghost like normal.  I think the aspi files have to do with SCSI
> devices.  I don't have any SCSI drives, so is this why I'm getting the
> error?  If so, can I delete these files from the boot disk to avoid the
> errors?  How about the other files?.....what are they used for and can I
> delete any that I might not need?

> Sorry about the long post guys, but I just want to make sure that
everything
> is correct for obvious reasons before I try ghosting my OS partition.
Your
> help is greatly appreciated.

> Thanks,
> Nick

Question about Norton Ghost 2001 and Win2k

Post by Karen Needle » Sat, 25 Aug 2001 23:59:37

Make the boot disk using your Windows 98 Boot disk files.
Everything works great using that.
Karen Needles
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I have Norton Ghost 2001 and I have a few questions about
creating the boot
>disk for it with my Win2k machine.  I'm going to be

ghosting my partitions
Quote:>to CD, so I can restore them from the ghost image

whenever I need to.  I
Quote:>know that I'm going to need 2 ghost boot disks for this.
Norton says to use
>the standard boot disk for writing the image to CD and

the CD-ROM boot disk
Quote:>for when I want to restore the image to my hard drive.
Both of these disks
>can be created in the Ghost Boot Wizard.  Well, I was
reading through
>Symantec's site and one page says that boot disks can't
be made with Win2k
>because Ghost (doesn't specify which version) uses a

different version of
Quote:>DOS than Win2k, but another page says that with Ghost
2001 I can use the
>Ghost Boot Wizard to create the disks.  That page doesn't
say anything about
>incompatibility with Win2k.  I tried ghosting one of my
partitions and then
>restoring it with boot disks that I made in the Boot

Wizard under Win2k and
Quote:>everything seems fine, but I just wanted to make sure
that this is the
>correct procedure before I try it with my partition that
contains my OS.

>Okay, one more question.  The standard boot disk made
with the Wizard
>contains these files:
>GHOSTPE.EXE
>AUTOEXEC.BAT
>COMMAND.COM
>IBMBIO.COM
>IBMDOS.COM
>MOUSE.COM

>and the CD-ROM boot disk contains all of the above files,
but I noticed that
>the AUTOEXEC.BAT file was larger in size, plus these:
>aspi2dos.sys
>aspi4dos.sys
>aspi8dos.sys
>aspi8u2.sys
>aspicd.sys
>btcdrom.sys
>btdosm.sys
>CONFIG.SYS
>flashpt.sys
>mscdex.exe
>oakcdrom.sys

>When I boot with the first disk, everything is fine.

However, when I boot
Quote:>with the second I get some errors that say something
like "cannot load
>device" or "installation failed."  with the aspi files.
My computer will
>then load Ghost like normal.  I think the aspi files have
to do with SCSI
>devices.  I don't have any SCSI drives, so is this why
I'm getting the
>error?  If so, can I delete these files from the boot
disk to avoid the
>errors?  How about the other files?.....what are they
used for and can I
>delete any that I might not need?

>Sorry about the long post guys, but I just want to make

sure that everything

Quote:>is correct for obvious reasons before I try ghosting my
OS partition.  Your
>help is greatly appreciated.

>Thanks,
>Nick

>.

1. Will Norton Ghost 2001 work on Win2k Pro?

Will Norton Ghost 2001 work on Windows 2000 Pro for making an image of
my hdd?

I've tried running it and have started it in dos mode and then run
Ghost.  Then when I try to make an image and do it with the cdwriter, it
says it can't read something from the hdd and then says it will have to
do a byte by byte  or bit by bit (something like that) and then says I
will need 40 cd's tp make the image.

dc

2. Cisco Router using NAT forward all ports

3. Sid & Norton Ghost 2001

4. ant V0.3

5. Can't see NTFS partition with Norton Ghost 2001

6. DDR is it SDRAM??

7. Making cdr writable for Norton Ghost 2001

8. Forwarding a received email

9. PartitionMagic 6.0 / Norton Ghost 2001 and W2K Professional

10. Norton Ghost 2001

11. Norton Ghost 2001 And NTFS

12. Norton Ghost 2001 - Restoring Partition

13. Norton Ghost 2001 and RAID-0 Images