"Internal" interface not getting proper IP from DHCP... it used to though???

"Internal" interface not getting proper IP from DHCP... it used to though???

Post by Mahkn » Thu, 22 Feb 2001 22:44:13

   In the RRAS, under the IP Routing-General tab, I have an interface
labeled "Internal".  This interface used to get an IP assigned from DHCP.  I
am not sure when it stopped getting an IP.  Now I get a message in the Event
Log that goes like this "Event 20169: Unable to contact a DHCP server. The
Automatic Private IP Address 169.254.18.168 will be assigned to dial-in
clients. Clients may be unable to access resources on the network. "

   Any ideas as to how this can be fixed?  I recently installed ZoneAlarm
Pro.  I suspect this might be the culprit.  I might need to make some
adjustments to it?  I got nothing barking for access and everything else
seems to be working fine.

My box is a Win 2k Server with 2 nics, DNS, DHCP, RRAS with NAT running.

Thanks,

Mahkno

"Internal" interface not getting proper IP from DHCP... it used to though???

Post by Damien Thor » Fri, 23 Feb 2001 02:49:32

I had the same problem.
Disable RRAS en Configure RRAS again, but with 'manual configured server',
then it should work.
It seems to be a conflict in the RRAS wizard and TCPIP

Damien

Quote:>    In the RRAS, under the IP Routing-General tab, I have an interface
> labeled "Internal".  This interface used to get an IP assigned from DHCP.
> am not sure when it stopped getting an IP.  Now I get a message in the
Event
> Log that goes like this "Event 20169: Unable to contact a DHCP server. The
> Automatic Private IP Address 169.254.18.168 will be assigned to dial-in
> clients. Clients may be unable to access resources on the network. "

>    Any ideas as to how this can be fixed?  I recently installed ZoneAlarm
> Pro.  I suspect this might be the culprit.  I might need to make some
> adjustments to it?  I got nothing barking for access and everything else
> seems to be working fine.

> My box is a Win 2k Server with 2 nics, DNS, DHCP, RRAS with NAT running.

> Thanks,

> Mahkno

"Internal" interface not getting proper IP from DHCP... it used to though???

Post by Mahkn » Fri, 23 Feb 2001 21:06:26

     I tried that but then NAT does not work, I didn't get proper IPs
either.  I am using the RASPPPOE driver by Robert Schlabbach.  I cannot seem
to get it to work the way I need it to, if I do a manual configuration (of
course there may something I am missing when I do a manual config).  I
follow the instructions Schlabbach gives under 6.8 of the readme that comes
with it.   http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~normanb/

   So I took down the manual config and redid it according Schlabbach but I
still get no proper IP for the "Internal" interface (I got a 169 address
instead).

Still puzzled,

Thanks

Mahkno

> I had the same problem.
> Disable RRAS en Configure RRAS again, but with 'manual configured server',
> then it should work.
> It seems to be a conflict in the RRAS wizard and TCPIP

> Damien

> >    In the RRAS, under the IP Routing-General tab, I have an interface
> > labeled "Internal".  This interface used to get an IP assigned from
DHCP.
> > am not sure when it stopped getting an IP.  Now I get a message in the
> Event
> > Log that goes like this "Event 20169: Unable to contact a DHCP server.
The
> > Automatic Private IP Address 169.254.18.168 will be assigned to dial-in
> > clients. Clients may be unable to access resources on the network. "

> >    Any ideas as to how this can be fixed?  I recently installed
ZoneAlarm
> > Pro.  I suspect this might be the culprit.  I might need to make some
> > adjustments to it?  I got nothing barking for access and everything else
> > seems to be working fine.

> > My box is a Win 2k Server with 2 nics, DNS, DHCP, RRAS with NAT running.

> > Thanks,

> > Mahkno

"Internal" interface not getting proper IP from DHCP... it used to though???

Post by Mahkn » Fri, 23 Feb 2001 23:01:51

I should also add that when I try to do the manual configuration.  The RRAS
console will not let me add the PPPoE routing interface.  It does not seem
to recognize it.  I can set up the demand dial but not the routing
interface.  Something about the wizard does something that I cannot seem to
do from the console alone.  Hence I have to follow Schlabbach's directions
to get the routing interface for the PPPoE  interface.

Thanks,

Mahkno