ICS IP allocation

Post by David Kinsto » Fri, 25 Oct 2002 06:32:29

I have a Win2000 SP3 PC acting as gateway for my network.
The connection is ADSL.
I need to change the ip range from the standard 192.168.0.0
to another class C range.
How do I do this? Are there issues I should be aware of?
Is there a resource which describes all this?
A quick search of the KB failed to turn up anything.

TIA

David Kinston
melbourne.au

ICS IP allocation

Post by Ehsan Maf » Fri, 25 Oct 2002 07:02:19

Dear David
There are many things that you need to know if you want
to change the default settings for ICS.
Ehsan, MCSE 2000

Quote:> I have a Win2000 SP3 PC acting as gateway for my network.
> The connection is ADSL.
> I need to change the ip range from the standard 192.168.0.0
> to another class C range.
> How do I do this? Are there issues I should be aware of?
> Is there a resource which describes all this?
> A quick search of the KB failed to turn up anything.

> TIA

> David Kinston
> melbourne.au

ICS IP allocation

Post by blurstal » Fri, 25 Oct 2002 07:56:49

excellent. where do i find out?
I own a class C, which is what I want to use.

David Kinston

> Dear David
> There are many things that you need to know if you want
> to change the default settings for ICS.
> Ehsan, MCSE 2000

> > I have a Win2000 SP3 PC acting as gateway for my network.
> > The connection is ADSL.
> > I need to change the ip range from the standard 192.168.0.0
> > to another class C range.
> > How do I do this? Are there issues I should be aware of?
> > Is there a resource which describes all this?
> > A quick search of the KB failed to turn up anything.

> > TIA

> > David Kinston
> > melbourne.au

ICS IP allocation

Post by bob » Fri, 25 Oct 2002 12:57:13

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002 08:56:49 +1000, "blurstall"

>excellent. where do i find out?
>I own a class C, which is what I want to use.

>David Kinston

Wow-wow-wow, what do you mean you own a class-C???

ICS uses the 192 range for your Intranet, why using 192 on your LAN
bothers you?

Am not absolutely sure, but I think you are stuck with ICS 192, after
all it's free.  I know with third party proxies ($), you got more
choices.

-bobb

ICS IP allocation

Post by blurstal » Sat, 26 Oct 2002 07:00:56

Our company has a class C range which we use.
So the ICS has to belong to that.
I can't see why that would be a problem, as the ips as
stored somewhere on the system.

I'm sure there are many people in the same situation.

> On Thu, 24 Oct 2002 08:56:49 +1000, "blurstall"

> >excellent. where do i find out?
> >I own a class C, which is what I want to use.

> >David Kinston

> Wow-wow-wow, what do you mean you own a class-C???

> ICS uses the 192 range for your Intranet, why using 192 on your LAN
> bothers you?

> Am not absolutely sure, but I think you are stuck with ICS 192, after
> all it's free.  I know with third party proxies ($), you got more
> choices.

> -bobb

ICS IP allocation

Post by bob » Sat, 26 Oct 2002 07:55:31

On Fri, 25 Oct 2002 08:00:56 +1000, "blurstall"

>Our company has a class C range which we use.
>So the ICS has to belong to that.
>I can't see why that would be a problem, as the ips as
>stored somewhere on the system.

>I'm sure there are many people in the same situation.

Why do I get the feeling that you are completely out by the deep left
field?

When people say "I own a class-C" they mean they bought a Class-C
range from their ISP, and this has nothing to do with the 192 address
used by ICS.

But I digress, you seems to know what you are doing. Good luck.

-bobb

1. manual IP address allocation with DHCP

Our current UNIX DHCP is set provide IP addresses to machines that are
listed in the configuration file.  IP addresses are only given out to the
authorized MAC addresses.

We are converting over to Win2K DHCP and would like to do the same thing.
TechNet has articles about DHCP configuration that mention manual allocation
of IP addresses, however it doesn't state how to do it.

We are an academic environment with a multitude of public access points, we
want to be able to continue to restrict IP access to only authorized
machines.

Question 1 -
How do we do this with Win2K DHCP?

Question 2 -
We charge an additional computer access fee to students who wish to have
computer access from their individual computers.  Currently we keep track of
student machines in an Access database and manually edit the UNIX DHCP
config file.  It is becoming an unmanagable mess.

Does anybody know of any programs which can help us automate the management
of this computer access?

2. Copper versus Fiber

3. Win 2K Auto IP Allocation Unreliable

4. Game Graphics

5. IP auto allocation

6. Unsubscribing

7. ICS IP clashes with VPN IP

8. Wireless AP: need suggestions for home network

9. Dynamic Allocation of Class D IP Address

10. Reserving IP address within ICS

11. ICS: Redirecting incoming requests to a specific IP (similar to NAT)

12. ICS and IP addresses

13. Changing default IP of ICS