New Domain vs. New Zone

Post by Pat » Wed, 29 May 2002 05:11:36

Hello,

I am studying for the MCSE and I am having trouble understanding Microsoft
"domains" vs. the DNS namespace.

Suppose I have a namespace called company.com.  I want to add servers called
www.web.company.com and mail.web.company.com.  Can I do this without adding
a new Windows 2000 domain called "web" complete with domain controllers,
etc?

When you right-click on a zone and select "New Domain", you can create a
domain folder and add A records to it.  Does that create a new Windows 2000
domain?  Is it better to add a new zone?

Thanks.

Pat

New Domain vs. New Zone

Post by William Stacey [MVP » Wed, 29 May 2002 08:40:01

Quote:> When you right-click on a zone and select "New Domain", you can create a
> domain folder and add A records to it.  Does that create a new Windows
2000
> domain?  Is it better to add a new zone?

Creates a new DNS domain (unrelated to Windows) or subdomain if you wish.
You could create a new zone if you wish, but it is not required.  If you
talking standard services like mail, ftp, telnet (etc.), the machine is just
an IP address and you can "call" that IP address anything you want (i.e.
myhost.sub1.sub2.mydomain.com, a.b.c.d.e.local, etc.) :-)

--
William Stacey, MCSE
Windows Server MVP

New Domain vs. New Zone

Post by Doug Sherma » Wed, 29 May 2002 08:58:11

I don't know what happens if you attempt to create an Active Directory
integrated zone where there is no corresponding Active Directory domain.
However, you can create a Standard Primary zone on your internal DNS server
for any domain, real or ficticious, you wish.  If you populate the zone with
host records, the server will resolve them just fine regardless of whether
there is a corresponding AD domain or public DNS domain.

Doug Sherman
MCSE Win2k/NT4.0
MCSA MCP+I

Quote:> Hello,

> I am studying for the MCSE and I am having trouble understanding Microsoft
> "domains" vs. the DNS namespace.

> Suppose I have a namespace called company.com.  I want to add servers
called
> www.web.company.com and mail.web.company.com.  Can I do this without
adding
> a new Windows 2000 domain called "web" complete with domain controllers,
> etc?

> When you right-click on a zone and select "New Domain", you can create a
> domain folder and add A records to it.  Does that create a new Windows
2000
> domain?  Is it better to add a new zone?

> Thanks.

> Pat

New Domain vs. New Zone

Post by Pat » Thu, 30 May 2002 04:47:59