RRAS stops local ip traffic

Post by Karl Palachuk, MCS » Sat, 16 Feb 2002 11:00:27

Someone earlier posted a problem that sounds like this.  I watched for
several days but there's still no answer.

When I install rras on the server (10.0.0.2) it can no longer ping other
sites on that nic (e.g., 10.0.0.3).  Message is "destination host
unreachable."  Other machines cannot ping server.  Message is timeout.

When I disable RRAS the ip network is back to normal.

I've been searching Technet CDs and online but I can't find this issue.
That leads me to believe it is a straight-forward issue to setting it up
right and not a "fix" per se.

Any help greatly appreciated.

--
Karl W. Palachuk, MCSE

KPEnterprises
Ph:  916-217-9432
Fax: 916-395-9432
http://www.kpenterprises.com

RRAS stops local ip traffic

Post by Merv Porte » Sat, 16 Feb 2002 12:33:42

Karl:

Name Resolution and Connectivity Issues on Windows 2000 Domain Controller
with Routing and Remote Access and DNS Installed (Q292822)

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q292822&id=29...
=MSKB

Merv
==========

> Someone earlier posted a problem that sounds like this.  I watched for
> several days but there's still no answer.

> When I install rras on the server (10.0.0.2) it can no longer ping other
> sites on that nic (e.g., 10.0.0.3).  Message is "destination host
> unreachable."  Other machines cannot ping server.  Message is timeout.

> When I disable RRAS the ip network is back to normal.

> I've been searching Technet CDs and online but I can't find this issue.
> That leads me to believe it is a straight-forward issue to setting it up
> right and not a "fix" per se.

> Any help greatly appreciated.

> --
> Karl W. Palachuk, MCSE

> KPEnterprises
> Ph:  916-217-9432
> Fax: 916-395-9432
> http://www.kpenterprises.com

RRAS stops local ip traffic

Post by Karl Palachuk, MCS » Sat, 16 Feb 2002 22:33:43

Unfortunately, that is not the problem.

My problem is:  I install RRAS and the server cannot send or receive IP on
the local network.  Haven't gotten to the point of trying to connect to it.
Because IP is the only protocol used, all access to the server stops when
this happens.

The issue is IP traffic not name resolution.
--
Karl W. Palachuk, MCSE

KPEnterprises
Ph:  916-217-9432
Fax: 916-395-9432
http://www.kpenterprises.com

Quote:> Karl:

> Name Resolution and Connectivity Issues on Windows 2000 Domain Controller
> with Routing and Remote Access and DNS Installed (Q292822)

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q292822&id=29...
> =MSKB

> Merv
> ==========

> > Someone earlier posted a problem that sounds like this.  I watched for
> > several days but there's still no answer.

> > When I install rras on the server (10.0.0.2) it can no longer ping other
> > sites on that nic (e.g., 10.0.0.3).  Message is "destination host
> > unreachable."  Other machines cannot ping server.  Message is timeout.

> > When I disable RRAS the ip network is back to normal.

> > I've been searching Technet CDs and online but I can't find this issue.
> > That leads me to believe it is a straight-forward issue to setting it up
> > right and not a "fix" per se.

> > Any help greatly appreciated.

> > --
> > Karl W. Palachuk, MCSE

> > KPEnterprises
> > Ph:  916-217-9432
> > Fax: 916-395-9432
> > http://www.kpenterprises.com

RRAS stops local ip traffic

Post by Cable60 » Wed, 20 Feb 2002 15:29:55

I've got nearly the same problem, but on the WAN side.
We have a W2K server with 2 NICs, one connected to the LAN, the other to the
WAN. When we try to issue a ping to any WAN address, there is a "destination
host unreachable" message, even if we ping the WAN gateway IP address (this
gateway is a router directly connected to the WAN NIC). However, remote
hosts can successfully VPN to this server, using the WAN NIC IP as
destination...

I would be greatly interested in how we can fix this.

Sebastien

> Unfortunately, that is not the problem.

> My problem is:  I install RRAS and the server cannot send or receive IP on
> the local network.  Haven't gotten to the point of trying to connect to
it.
> Because IP is the only protocol used, all access to the server stops when
> this happens.

> The issue is IP traffic not name resolution.
> --
> Karl W. Palachuk, MCSE

> KPEnterprises
> Ph:  916-217-9432
> Fax: 916-395-9432
> http://www.kpenterprises.com

> > Karl:

> > Name Resolution and Connectivity Issues on Windows 2000 Domain
Controller
> > with Routing and Remote Access and DNS Installed (Q292822)

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q292822&id=29...

> > =MSKB

> > Merv
> > ==========

> > > Someone earlier posted a problem that sounds like this.  I watched for
> > > several days but there's still no answer.

> > > When I install rras on the server (10.0.0.2) it can no longer ping
other
> > > sites on that nic (e.g., 10.0.0.3).  Message is "destination host
> > > unreachable."  Other machines cannot ping server.  Message is timeout.

> > > When I disable RRAS the ip network is back to normal.

> > > I've been searching Technet CDs and online but I can't find this
issue.
> > > That leads me to believe it is a straight-forward issue to setting it
up
> > > right and not a "fix" per se.

> > > Any help greatly appreciated.

> > > --
> > > Karl W. Palachuk, MCSE

> > > KPEnterprises
> > > Ph:  916-217-9432
> > > Fax: 916-395-9432
> > > http://www.kpenterprises.com

RRAS stops local ip traffic

Post by David Haywar » Fri, 22 Feb 2002 17:46:01

I resolved this by adding a persistent route to the servers to direct
local ip traffic to the local NIC's: eg

route -p add 192.168.0.0 mask 255.255.255.0 192.168.0.100

where 192.168.0.100 is the static addres of the NIC.

HTH

Dave Hayward

Quote:>I've got nearly the same problem, but on the WAN side.