Why is 'Letter' always the default paper size?

Why is 'Letter' always the default paper size?

Post by Kristofer Andersso » Fri, 02 Feb 2001 13:12:03

I'm connecting to shared printers (HPLJ 2100 and HPLJ 4050) over the
network.

On the print server (Win2k SP1), device settings and printing preferences
are set to A4. However, on the clients (Win2k SP1), the printing preferences
default to Letter and I have to change it manually.

Is there any way to force it to default to A4 or have Microsoft missed that
the majority of the world use A4 sized papers, not Letter...? If it can't be
forced through any visible settings, where do I find the registry settings
that hold the printing preferences?

The drivers are the ones that ships with Win2k.

Kristofer

Why is 'Letter' always the default paper size?

Post by Anthony » Sun, 11 Feb 2001 08:06:23

If you look in your office applications they too can set the default paper
size.

They also remember the size of the paper that the document was created on.

If it is not one of these products then the driver may not be sending a A4
paper size command to the printer.  The printer then will switch to its
default paper size (which can be changed or course) of letter.

The only true way to fix this is to get America to go metric like the rest
of the WORLD!

(the cold war is over!)  Look at what happened to the last probe to Mar.  It
crashed because someone read Metres as Yards.
a Yard is about 10 cm shorter than a Metre!

> I'm connecting to shared printers (HPLJ 2100 and HPLJ 4050) over the
> network.

> On the print server (Win2k SP1), device settings and printing preferences
> are set to A4. However, on the clients (Win2k SP1), the printing
preferences
> default to Letter and I have to change it manually.

> Is there any way to force it to default to A4 or have Microsoft missed
that
> the majority of the world use A4 sized papers, not Letter...? If it can't
be
> forced through any visible settings, where do I find the registry settings
> that hold the printing preferences?

> The drivers are the ones that ships with Win2k.

> Kristofer

Why is 'Letter' always the default paper size?

Post by Gustavo G-Wal » Tue, 13 Mar 2001 23:30:09

test

> I'm connecting to shared printers (HPLJ 2100 and HPLJ 4050) over the
> network.

> On the print server (Win2k SP1), device settings and printing preferences
> are set to A4. However, on the clients (Win2k SP1), the printing
preferences
> default to Letter and I have to change it manually.

> Is there any way to force it to default to A4 or have Microsoft missed
that
> the majority of the world use A4 sized papers, not Letter...? If it can't
be
> forced through any visible settings, where do I find the registry settings
> that hold the printing preferences?

> The drivers are the ones that ships with Win2k.

> Kristofer

1. Can't permanently change paper size, always defaults to letter.

Hello,
My windows 2000 users (sp1/sp3) have the defaults for a network printer set
to print on ledger size paper in the printer properties section:

Start|Settings|Printers|, Select printer |Properties, Advanced tab|Printing
defaults button, Paper size box > set to ledger.

However, everytime Word, Excel, AutoCAD or ANY application opens up the
print dialog, it is always set to letter.

Why is this? They can change it to ledger, but the default setting of ledger
never comes up as default in ANY application...

Thanks,
Rob

2. Looking for Z80 Datasheets/Resources

3. banner always on + paper set always to 'letter'

4. Database connection not working

5. Why does win98 always '20 times/day' check my A: drive 'HELP'

6. Netmeeting through NAT?

7. Default paper size don't work

8. quark

9. Printer Paper size keeps defaulting to letter for users other than admin

10. Changing the default paper size to A4 from letter for all users

11. Default Paper Size A4 instead of Letter

12. Autocreated printer default paper size set to letter not A4

13. printer default paper size set to letter