Direct Cable Connection can't see 'host' as drive on 'guest'

Direct Cable Connection can't see 'host' as drive on 'guest'

Post by john longma » Mon, 09 Dec 2002 04:20:34

I have set up a serial cable to a Windows 95 pc from a
windows 2000 pc. The connection is successfully made.
Win2000 is the guest, Win95 is the host, and an icon
appears on the status bar showing the to computers
networking.  But I can't find any drive on Win2000
corresponding to the host computer, so I can't copy any
files. Can anybody help please?

Direct Cable Connection can't see 'host' as drive on 'guest'

Post by Chris Mathe » Mon, 09 Dec 2002 10:42:52

I am having exactly the same problem, getting
communication but no drives show up and getting error
message that says "The list of servers for this workgroup
is not currently available"  Need help here as well.
Thanks
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I have set up a serial cable to a Windows 95 pc from a
>windows 2000 pc. The connection is successfully made.
>Win2000 is the guest, Win95 is the host, and an icon
>appears on the status bar showing the to computers
>networking.  But I can't find any drive on Win2000
>corresponding to the host computer, so I can't copy any
>files. Can anybody help please?
>.

Direct Cable Connection can't see 'host' as drive on 'guest'

Post by John Longma » Tue, 10 Dec 2002 01:16:33

I've made some progress searching the MS knowledge base.
It suggests I map a network drive \\IP-Address\C (where IP-
Address is the address of the host which can be viewed by
double clicking the icon on the status bar and looking
in 'details', C is what the drive is called on the Win95
(by right clicking on the C drive in My Computer and
enabling file sharing).  BUT when I try to map the drive I
get the message 'The remote computer is not available' -
even though both machines say that the connection is
established. Can anyone help me get of this final, I hope,
hurdle?
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I have set up a serial cable to a Windows 95 pc from a
>windows 2000 pc. The connection is successfully made.
>Win2000 is the guest, Win95 is the host, and an icon
>appears on the status bar showing the to computers
>networking.  But I can't find any drive on Win2000
>corresponding to the host computer, so I can't copy any
>files. Can anybody help please?
>.

Direct Cable Connection can't see 'host' as drive on 'guest'

Post by John Longma » Wed, 11 Dec 2002 00:11:49

Further update and refined question:  I understand that
the message 'Remote computer is not available' is because
netBIOS is not enabled over TCP/IP on the Windows 2000
machine, but when I follow the help instructions to enable
it.  The checkbox 'enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP' only
appears for 'Local Area Connection' in 'Network and Dialup
Connections',  it does not appear for 'Direct
Connection'.  Does this mean its impossible to enable
netBIOS over
TCP/IP for a Direct Cable Connection??

Quote:>-----Original Message-----