PID at high levels

Post by Khos » Sun, 08 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Hi, im getting PID level of 267,XXX for almost every program i open, before
i didn't get such a high PID. What is the problem here?

PID at high levels

Post by --==[ russ ]==- » Sun, 08 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Why is that a problem? PIDs are assigned automagically.

--

--------
Russ

Quote:> Hi, im getting PID level of 267,XXX for almost every program i open,
before
> i didn't get such a high PID. What is the problem here?

PID at high levels

Post by D'o » Mon, 09 Oct 2000 04:00:00

If it's anything like unix they will continue to get higher and higher.
Each process get's a pid one higher than the last started process.  It won't
affect performance though.  If you want lower numbed pids, just reboot and
the "pid counter" should be reset.

> Why is that a problem? PIDs are assigned automagically.

> --

> --------
> Russ

> > Hi, im getting PID level of 267,XXX for almost every program i open,
> before
> > i didn't get such a high PID. What is the problem here?

1. Problem with high level of context switching

Hi,

I've been asked to look into a problem with a server application that
is suffering a high number of context switches when running on a
multiprocessor box.

The application in question is an RPC server which interacts with a
SQL database. All the RPC calls from client to server are synchronous,
so the clients block until the server has completed their request. The
system works well, even under high load, when it is run on a single
processor machine but when it is placed on a multiprocessor box, the
performance degrades (and the degradation seems to increase in
relation to the number of processors used).

I have used perfmon to capture some statistics about the performance
of the system and the following is a few of the statistics gathered:

Single CPU system:
Thread count          : 70.272
Processor Queue Length: 12.282
Context Switches/Sec  : 3269.289

Quad CPU System:
Thread count          : 46.860
Processor Queue Length: 0.673
Context Switches/Sec  : 109203.791

Obviously the context switching rate has gone through the roof on the
quad-processor box, resulting in very poor performance, but can anyone
suggest any reasons for why this might happen?

I'm presuming that it has something to do with the fact that on the
multiprocessor system there really are two (or more) threads running
the same code at the same time (as opposed to the single processor
machine where, thanks to time slicing, it just seems as though the
threads are running at the same time).

What I'd be keen to know is, what sort problems in the code might be
responsible for the huge leap in context switches?

I'd be grateful for any thoughts on this matter,

Paul Mateer
Meridio Limited

2. Anybody get MH to build on UW?

3. % Interrupt Time at a constant high level on two-way SMP

4. Setting default geometry for 'xvile'?

5. Recording Audio CDs - levels too high!!!

6. Common connectors for clusters?

7. High level tool for manipulating Active Directory ACL from command line ?

8. socket ftp sample

9. excessively high and erratic cpu levels

10. This Workbook cannot be opened under high security level

11. Policy at OU level vs. Domain Level

12. Site Level and Domain level GPO's

13. Can't use high encryption with RDP after installing high encryption pack on the tserver