User can logon to domain from Win98 but not from Win2000 pro

User can logon to domain from Win98 but not from Win2000 pro

Post by Jim Boo » Sun, 12 May 2002 23:51:29

Can anyone help?

Upgraded to Win2k Server from NT4.0. PDC using active directory. All
but one user can logon to domain Win2k pro workstation. One user gets
"username not found or password incorrect..check caps lock.." Same
user CAN logon to domain using a Win98 workstation and access all
resources.

More info:

User has exchange mailbox and Norton AV Corp Ed (managed by server)
configured on a Win 98 workstation.

Before problem, had configured a Win 2k workstation for this user and
was able to logon to domain.

User's workstation needed was swapped with another user. Realized had
setup a local users on both machines. Deleted all local user accounts
(except for built in admin).

Now user cannot logon using any Win2k workstation including, a new
Win2k workstation joined to domain with out any local accounts (except
built in).

User can still logon to domain from any Win98 machine.

Win 2k PDC and BDC (older NT4.0 test server shows up a 2nd BDC).

Connect via TCP/IP
Using DHCP, DNS, and WINS.

Sorry for the long post.

Thanks if anyone has a suggestion.

JB

User can logon to domain from Win98 but not from Win2000 pro

Post by Ram » Tue, 14 May 2002 18:15:12

Hi,
  I think the solution to the problem u are facing is that
of logon validation.
  Check if u are part of the domain u want to log into and
if u are receiving the ip address from the DHCP server.If
u are there till now then check if u can ping to the
concerned server.
  I hope u are receiving the IP address of the DNS server
with that of the DHCP address. IF not then give the DNS
servers address at the TCP/Ip properties settings.

Hope this solution works out.

Best Wishes,
Ram.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Can anyone help?

>Upgraded to Win2k Server from NT4.0. PDC using active
directory. All
>but one user can logon to domain Win2k pro workstation.
One user gets
>"username not found or password incorrect..check caps
lock.." Same
>user CAN logon to domain using a Win98 workstation and
access all
>resources.

>More info:

>User has exchange mailbox and Norton AV Corp Ed (managed
by server)
>configured on a Win 98 workstation.

>Before problem, had configured a Win 2k workstation for
this user and
>was able to logon to domain.

>User's workstation needed was swapped with another user.
Realized had
>setup a local users on both machines. Deleted all local
user accounts
>(except for built in admin).

>Now user cannot logon using any Win2k workstation
including, a new
>Win2k workstation joined to domain with out any local
accounts (except
>built in).

>User can still logon to domain from any Win98 machine.

>Win 2k PDC and BDC (older NT4.0 test server shows up a
2nd BDC).

>Connect via TCP/IP
>Using DHCP, DNS, and WINS.

>Sorry for the long post.

>Thanks if anyone has a suggestion.

>JB
>.

1. Domain Users can not logon locally to windows 2000 domain controller

    I have created a user that be member of domain users but this user
can not logon to domain controller with locally.
    When this user logon,windows display error "can not logon with
interactive".
    I add user to local policy of logon locally  but it don't work.
    If i add user to member of server operator , it's work.

                Please help me .
              Thank in advance.

2. SS5 mbus question...

3. Win2000 Pro logons to Win NT4 Domain.

4. Help Please! gif went AWOL

5. Domain logon on NT4 server with Win2000 Pro version

6. Programming the Trak-Ball

7. Win98&WinMe Logon Win2000 Domain Whereas Win95 won't !!

8. How does ipd interact with a host program on ipsc/860?

9. How to set logon script for Win98 client under a Win2000 domain ?

10. User can't use Win98 workstation to logon the win2000 network

11. Win98&WinMe Logon Win2000 Domain Whereas Win95 won't !!

12. Win98 can't logon to Win2000 domain