add/remove programs not working

Post by fausti » Sat, 08 Sep 2001 01:45:50

Has anyone seen this problem.  I open Control Panel and
double click add/remove programs and nothing happens.  the
only way I can install anything is to go a command prompt
and type "change user /install.  This works but I have no
way of removing an application.  any ideas would be most
appreciated.

add/remove programs not working

Post by CheckAbdou » Sat, 08 Sep 2001 04:23:23

    Clicking on the add/remove programs will try to execute the "appwiz.cpl"
application. See if you have this application in your         windows/system
directory. You can also run it from the "Start Run Dialog"

Cheers
Check Abdoul
-----------------

Quote:> Has anyone seen this problem.  I open Control Panel and
> double click add/remove programs and nothing happens.  the
> only way I can install anything is to go a command prompt
> and type "change user /install.  This works but I have no
> way of removing an application.  any ideas would be most
> appreciated.

add/remove programs not working

Post by fausti » Sat, 08 Sep 2001 05:55:46

Well the appwix.cpl file is in both the system folder and
the system32 folder.  I remeved the one from the system
folder and copied it back in from the I386 folder.  It
still will not execute.  I amd logged in as Administrator
to the local machine.  All or the other apps within the
control panel execute, just not the add remove programs.
Could it be a rights issue?
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>    Clicking on the add/remove programs will try to

execute the "appwiz.cpl"
Quote:>application. See if you have this application in

your         windows/system
>directory. You can also run it from the "Start Run Dialog"

>Cheers
>Check Abdoul
>-----------------

>> Has anyone seen this problem.  I open Control Panel and
>> double click add/remove programs and nothing happens.
the
>> only way I can install anything is to go a command
prompt
>> and type "change user /install.  This works but I have
no
>> way of removing an application.  any ideas would be most
>> appreciated.

>.

add/remove programs not working

Post by CheckAbdou » Sat, 08 Sep 2001 06:20:50

I do not think it is 'appwix.cpl' . It is 'appwiz.cpl'. Note the spelling.

try running it from the "Start->Run" dialog.

    WinKey+R, type 'appwiz.cpl'

Cheers
Check Abdoul
-----------------

> Well the appwix.cpl file is in both the system folder and
> the system32 folder.  I remeved the one from the system
> folder and copied it back in from the I386 folder.  It
> still will not execute.  I amd logged in as Administrator
> to the local machine.  All or the other apps within the
> control panel execute, just not the add remove programs.
> Could it be a rights issue?

1. Add/Remove Programs not working

Hi,

I recently set up a Windows 2000 AS Machine.  It seems that Add/Remove
Programs does not work.  When I click on Add/Remove Programs, I get an
hourglass pointer, then it disappears and nothing happens.  I have tried
copying a working copy of the Add/Remove Programs applet from another AS
machine to the "bad" one, but that didn't work?  Does anyone have any ideas
as to how to fix this?

Max DiOrio

2. help with "The Immortal"

3. Phone Dialer Problems