Fonts and font folder

Post by Mike » Sun, 27 Oct 2002 00:27:55

I had too many fonts, that I'll never use in the 'Fonts'
folder. I moved the unwanted fonts into another folder.
Now the 'Fonts' folder shows thoses font there, but 0k in
size.  When I try to move them back to the 'Fonts' folder
I get the message box that I have to remove the original
font before installing a new one.  If I try to delet the
0ksize fonts I get a box that tells me the file can't be
found.

How do I get rid of those 0k size files ?
and In the future how do I get rid of un-wanted fonts in a
way that lets me still have acces to them.

Fonts and font folder

Post by Mark » Mon, 28 Oct 2002 00:33:07

Quote:> I had too many fonts, that I'll never use in the 'Fonts'
> folder. I moved the unwanted fonts into another folder.
> Now the 'Fonts' folder shows thoses font there, but 0k in
> size.  When I try to move them back to the 'Fonts' folder
> I get the message box that I have to remove the original
> font before installing a new one.  If I try to delet the
> 0ksize fonts I get a box that tells me the file can't be
> found.

> How do I get rid of those 0k size files ?
> and In the future how do I get rid of un-wanted fonts in a
> way that lets me still have acces to them.

Font files are "installed" in windows.  First you have a file (say
for example arial.ttf)  From the Control Panel, Fonts, File menu you
select Install New Font... and check the box "Copy fonts to fonts
folder".  This does 1) installs the font and 2) copies the file to
the %systemroot%\Fonts folder.

If from the CPL, Fonts interface you choose to Delete a font, it is
un-installed and the TTF file is deleted.

So, to save font files already in the system's FONTS folder you need
to copy the *.ttf files to another location.  Note that some files
might have the Hidden attribute set.  You can then "delete" (remove)
the font(s) from CPL, Fonts.

Not enough info. on your zero-length files to give an answer.

Fonts and font folder

Post by Mike » Wed, 30 Oct 2002 01:04:28

Thanks MarkV.  This will help in the future.  I'll only
play with fonts through the Control Panel.
But this doesn't help my problem now.

I Can't re-intsall any of the ones I moved to another
folder because Windows thinks that they are
still installed.  They still appear in the Fonts folder,
but at 0kb in size.

When I try to 'Un-Install' through Control Panel, I can't
delete the 0kb size fonts.
I get a box "Error Deleting file or folder   Cannot delete
file: Cannot read from the source file or
disk ".

in

>> I had too many fonts, that I'll never use in
the 'Fonts'
>> folder. I moved the unwanted fonts into another folder.
>> Now the 'Fonts' folder shows thoses font there, but 0k
in
>> size.  When I try to move them back to the 'Fonts'
folder
>> I get the message box that I have to remove the
original
>> font before installing a new one.  If I try to delet
the
>> 0ksize fonts I get a box that tells me the file can't
be
>> found.

>> How do I get rid of those 0k size files ?
>> and In the future how do I get rid of un-wanted fonts
in a
>> way that lets me still have acces to them.

>Font files are "installed" in windows.  First you have a
file (say
>for example arial.ttf)  From the Control Panel, Fonts,
File menu you
>select Install New Font... and check the box "Copy fonts
to fonts
>folder".  This does 1) installs the font and 2) copies
the file to
>the %systemroot%\Fonts folder.

>If from the CPL, Fonts interface you choose to Delete a
font, it is
>un-installed and the TTF file is deleted.

>So, to save font files already in the system's FONTS
folder you need
>to copy the *.ttf files to another location.  Note that
some files
>might have the Hidden attribute set.  You can

then "delete" (remove)

Quote:>the font(s) from CPL, Fonts.

>Not enough info. on your zero-length files to give an
answer.

>.

Fonts and font folder

Post by Mark » Wed, 30 Oct 2002 01:40:13

Quote:> Thanks MarkV.  This will help in the future.  I'll only
> play with fonts through the Control Panel.
> But this doesn't help my problem now.

> I Can't re-intsall any of the ones I moved to another
> folder because Windows thinks that they are
> still installed.  They still appear in the Fonts folder,
> but at 0kb in size.

> When I try to 'Un-Install' through Control Panel, I can't
> delete the 0kb size fonts.
> I get a box "Error Deleting file or folder   Cannot delete
> file: Cannot read from the source file or
> disk ".

[ ]
Hmm.  Have your tried booting to Safe Mode and trying to either
"delete" through Fonts in CPL or deleting the zero-length files?

If that does not work it sounds like Windows is confused and may need
some corrections in the registry.  If needed, post the names of the
zero-length files and (if neccessary) learn how to back up your
registry before proceeding.

Fonts and font folder

Post by Mike » Wed, 30 Oct 2002 03:02:53

Thanks MarkV,
        I will have to have correct this using the
registry editor. I've found out that the list of fonts
that shows in Explorer is actually the list in the
registy.  If fonts are moved from the 'Fonts' folder using
Explorer, there names will still appear, with 0kb size.

Mike

1. anti alias/dithered fonts/font smoothing all fonts?

Hi. A few years ago I recall Gateway shipped an anti-alias/font smoothing
program that smooth ALL fonts. I'd like to smooth Times New Roman on my
screen for when I write. Font smoothing turned on smooths certain fonts at
certain sizes, it appears, but not this one. Is there a utility or program
that can turn on font smoothing for all fonts and sizes? Thanks, J

2. AS400 Firewall. Help needed.

3. NO "Install New Font" option in Fonts folder

4. CD-Recorder on SGI machines

5. Can't add fonts to font folder

6. !Querying NT for running processes

7. Added font to winnt/font folder but it doesn't show up

8. multiplot and /noerase

9. Cannot Install Fonts w/ C:\Windows\Fonts folder highlighted

10. What's happened to my fonts folder --- Installing new fonts?

11. missing element on font folder pull down file menu (install new font)

12. Can't Install Fonts w/ C:\Windows\Fonts folder highlighted

13. fonts folder doesn't have "install new fonts"