Hard Drive file format changed from NTFS to Raw on reboot

Hard Drive file format changed from NTFS to Raw on reboot

Post by Matt Brow » Sun, 20 Apr 2003 06:19:54

Hello,

Last night I was downloading some files off the internet to a secondary hard
drive in my computer.  While these downloads were taking place I was reading
email in Outlook XP.  Windows update came on and told me there were new
updates to install.  I closed Outlook and installed the updates.  The
computer needed to be rebooted which I allowed it to do.

On reboot the file format of the secondary drive has changed from NTFS to
RAW.

My question is:

Does anyone know of any way to repair the allocation table on this drive
WITHOUT formating the hard drive?

Does anyone know of any programs that may be able to recover the information
on this drive (I am not going to send the drive away)?

Does anyone know what may have happened to this drive?  Was it a windows
update issue or some other unrelated problem?

Other Info:

1) I am running a P3 800, 1 gig ram.
2) OS - Windows 2000 Pro
3) Downloading files through Kazaa (My shared folder was on that second
drive)
4) I have Norton Antivirus 2003 and have done a virus scan.  No virus found.
5) I dont know which windows updates it was attempting to install - I did
not check the details.  It must be something new though because I have kept
up to date with all the windows updates.
6) The hard drive appears to be working and I copuld reformat the drive (I
do not really want to though).

Possible solutions....
One tech I spoke with suggested using partion magic to adjust the size of
the partion by 10 megs or some other small number.   Has anyone ever heard
of that solving a problem like this or would that only make things worse?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Hard Drive file format changed from NTFS to Raw on reboot

Post by Matt Brow » Sun, 20 Apr 2003 07:00:51

I ran PartitionInfo (from Partition Magic 6)  And got the following
information:

Info: End C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
  Actual values are:
        0  0  00      0    1    1  07   4864  254   63        63  78156162
Error #109: Partition ends after end of disk.
  ucEndCylinder (4864) must be less than 4111.

Mabey this can help someone help me.

Thanks,
Matt Brown

Quote:> Hello,

> Last night I was downloading some files off the internet to a secondary
hard
> drive in my computer.  While these downloads were taking place I was
reading
> email in Outlook XP.  Windows update came on and told me there were new
> updates to install.  I closed Outlook and installed the updates.  The
> computer needed to be rebooted which I allowed it to do.

> On reboot the file format of the secondary drive has changed from NTFS to
> RAW.

> My question is:

> Does anyone know of any way to repair the allocation table on this drive
> WITHOUT formating the hard drive?

> Does anyone know of any programs that may be able to recover the
information
> on this drive (I am not going to send the drive away)?

> Does anyone know what may have happened to this drive?  Was it a windows
> update issue or some other unrelated problem?

> Other Info:

> 1) I am running a P3 800, 1 gig ram.
> 2) OS - Windows 2000 Pro
> 3) Downloading files through Kazaa (My shared folder was on that second
> drive)
> 4) I have Norton Antivirus 2003 and have done a virus scan.  No virus
found.
> 5) I dont know which windows updates it was attempting to install - I did
> not check the details.  It must be something new though because I have
kept
> up to date with all the windows updates.
> 6) The hard drive appears to be working and I copuld reformat the drive (I
> do not really want to though).

> Possible solutions....
> One tech I spoke with suggested using partion magic to adjust the size of
> the partion by 10 megs or some other small number.   Has anyone ever heard
> of that solving a problem like this or would that only make things worse?

> Any help would be greatly appreciated

Hard Drive file format changed from NTFS to Raw on reboot

Post by Jeff » Sun, 20 Apr 2003 08:13:58

Long response, and I hope some other techs can critique my
response for you so you don't make things worse.

1. Before tampering with anything, Ghost the drive or copy
an image of the drive in some other fashion. That way, if
you make the problem worse, you can always start over.
Maxtor has the MaxBlast floppy free for download. There's
a utility on the floppy that allows you to do a image dump
from one drive to another, but both have to be hooked to
the same computer. The drives don't have to be Maxtors.

2. Go to Start, Run, and type CMD in the box. Hit enter to
launch a DOS prompt. Type D: (or whatever your secondary
drive letter is) and hit enter to change to your secondary
drive. Then type "CHKDSK /R" without the quotes. This
checks and repairs data errors and then checks the disk
surface for bad spots. If it finds any, it tries to
recover data off the spot and marks it off as unuseable.
If this doesn't work...

3. Try running the Convert.exe utility to see if it can
fix the problem back to NTFS. However, this could compound
the damage (that's why you ghost the drive to begin with).

4. Boot to the Windows CD and chose "R" for a Repair. This
takes you to a screen that gives you two more choices, the
Recovery Console or a Repair Installation of W2K.
Choose "C" for Recovery Console. You'll be prompted for
the operating system to boot to and the local
administrator password. Note that if there are hardware
issues, this might make the problems worse. At the final
Recovery Console screen, CHANGE TO YOUR SECONDARY DRIVE
(D:, enter)and run:
FIXMBR
Reboot to see if this fixed the problem.

5. If it still isn't fixed, try a Repair Installation of
W2K. Boot off the CD as above, but, choose "R", and
then "R" again to repair. You don't have to have the
recovery disk, but it's best to use it if you have it.

6. You might try booting to a virus CD and scanning. With
proper NAV settings, this is probably not likely to be
needed, but this depends on the history leading to the
problem. I've had Norton scans seem to work  great, but
the virus had already hacked Norton before Norton could
hack the virus, so only by booting to a CDROM or floppies
do you isolate the hard drive(s) for the scan. Even
uninstalling and reinstalling Norton on an infected
machine probably won't give you a reliable scan.

7. Kazaa is known for it's spyware and foistware. It is
not a good program. Obviously just my opinion. I'm a tech
who has had to repair several Kazaa machines. Only
BearShare seems to be safe and freindly, and even then,
it's only friendly after running Lavasoft Ad-Aware or
Spybot to clean the spyware server off your PC. Spyware
server engines build doors that hackers can exploit. They
also hijack Windows networking components like your
winsock layer, which could*with your Windows updates.

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I ran PartitionInfo (from Partition Magic 6)  And got the
following
>information:

>Info: End C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
>  Actual values are:
>        0  0  00      0    1    1  07   4864  254

63        63  78156162
>Error #109: Partition ends after end of disk.
>  ucEndCylinder (4864) must be less than 4111.

>Mabey this can help someone help me.

>Thanks,
>Matt Brown

>> Hello,

>> Last night I was downloading some files off the

internet to a secondary
Quote:>hard
>> drive in my computer.  While these downloads were
taking place I was
>reading
>> email in Outlook XP.  Windows update came on and told
me there were new
>> updates to install.  I closed Outlook and installed the
updates.  The
>> computer needed to be rebooted which I allowed it to do.

>> On reboot the file format of the secondary drive has

changed from NTFS to
Quote:>> RAW.

>> My question is:

>> Does anyone know of any way to repair the allocation
table on this drive
>> WITHOUT formating the hard drive?

>> Does anyone know of any programs that may be able to
recover the
>information
>> on this drive (I am not going to send the drive away)?

>> Does anyone know what may have happened to this drive?
Was it a windows
>> update issue or some other unrelated problem?

>> Other Info:

>> 1) I am running a P3 800, 1 gig ram.
>> 2) OS - Windows 2000 Pro
>> 3) Downloading files through Kazaa (My shared folder
was on that second
>> drive)
>> 4) I have Norton Antivirus 2003 and have done a virus
scan.  No virus
>found.
>> 5) I dont know which windows updates it was attempting
to install - I did
>> not check the details.  It must be something new though
because I have
>kept
>> up to date with all the windows updates.
>> 6) The hard drive appears to be working and I copuld

reformat the drive (I
Quote:>> do not really want to though).

>> Possible solutions....
>> One tech I spoke with suggested using partion magic to
adjust the size of
>> the partion by 10 megs or some other small number.

Has anyone ever heard

Quote:>> of that solving a problem like this or would that only
make things worse?

>> Any help would be greatly appreciated

>.

Quote:>on this drive (I am not going to send the drive away)?

>Does anyone know what may have happened to this drive?
Was it a windows
>update issue or some other unrelated problem?

>Other Info:

>1) I am running a P3 800, 1 gig ram.
>2) OS - Windows 2000 Pro
>3) Downloading files through Kazaa (My shared folder was
on that second
>drive)
>4) I have Norton Antivirus 2003 and have done a virus

scan.  No virus found.
Quote:>5) I dont know which windows updates it was attempting to
install - I did
>not check the details.  It must be something new though
because I have kept
>up to date with all the windows updates.
>6) The hard drive appears to be working and I copuld

reformat the drive (I

Quote:>do not really want to though).

>Possible solutions....
>One tech I spoke with suggested using partion magic to
adjust the size of
>the partion by 10 megs or some other small number.   Has
anyone ever heard
>of that solving a problem like this or would that only
make things worse?

>Any help would be greatly appreciated

>.

Hard Drive file format changed from NTFS to Raw on reboot

Post by Michael Lawle » Sun, 20 Apr 2003 06:32:21

As you brought up Kazza,you probably have numerous program on your computer
that you don't know about.
Go get SpyBot:
http://www.veryComputer.com/
Run it ,then try Partition Magic to convert back.
I think your whole problem is the *that Kazza loads.
Could be wrong.

Quote:> Hello,

> Last night I was downloading some files off the internet to a secondary
hard
> drive in my computer.  While these downloads were taking place I was
reading
> email in Outlook XP.  Windows update came on and told me there were new
> updates to install.  I closed Outlook and installed the updates.  The
> computer needed to be rebooted which I allowed it to do.

> On reboot the file format of the secondary drive has changed from NTFS to
> RAW.

> My question is:

> Does anyone know of any way to repair the allocation table on this drive
> WITHOUT formating the hard drive?

> Does anyone know of any programs that may be able to recover the
information
> on this drive (I am not going to send the drive away)?

> Does anyone know what may have happened to this drive?  Was it a windows
> update issue or some other unrelated problem?

> Other Info:

> 1) I am running a P3 800, 1 gig ram.
> 2) OS - Windows 2000 Pro
> 3) Downloading files through Kazaa (My shared folder was on that second
> drive)
> 4) I have Norton Antivirus 2003 and have done a virus scan.  No virus
found.
> 5) I dont know which windows updates it was attempting to install - I did
> not check the details.  It must be something new though because I have
kept
> up to date with all the windows updates.
> 6) The hard drive appears to be working and I copuld reformat the drive (I
> do not really want to though).

> Possible solutions....
> One tech I spoke with suggested using partion magic to adjust the size of
> the partion by 10 megs or some other small number.   Has anyone ever heard
> of that solving a problem like this or would that only make things worse?

> Any help would be greatly appreciated

Hard Drive file format changed from NTFS to Raw on reboot

Post by Joep » Sun, 20 Apr 2003 07:06:44

post the entire partinfo

--
D I Y  D a t a R e c o v e r y . N L - Data & Disaster Recovery Tools

http://www.diydatarecovery.nl
http://www.diydatarecovery.com

Please include previous correspondence!

DiskPatch - MBR, Partition, boot sector repair and recovery.
iRecover - FAT, FAT32 and NTFS data recovery.
MBRtool - Freeware MBR backup and restore.

> I ran PartitionInfo (from Partition Magic 6)  And got the following
> information:

> Info: End C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
>   Actual values are:
>         0  0  00      0    1    1  07   4864  254   63        63  78156162
> Error #109: Partition ends after end of disk.
>   ucEndCylinder (4864) must be less than 4111.

> Mabey this can help someone help me.

> Thanks,
> Matt Brown

> > Hello,

> > Last night I was downloading some files off the internet to a secondary
> hard
> > drive in my computer.  While these downloads were taking place I was
> reading
> > email in Outlook XP.  Windows update came on and told me there were new
> > updates to install.  I closed Outlook and installed the updates.  The
> > computer needed to be rebooted which I allowed it to do.

> > On reboot the file format of the secondary drive has changed from NTFS
> > RAW.

> > My question is:

> > Does anyone know of any way to repair the allocation table on this drive
> > WITHOUT formating the hard drive?

> > Does anyone know of any programs that may be able to recover the
> information
> > on this drive (I am not going to send the drive away)?

> > Does anyone know what may have happened to this drive?  Was it a windows
> > update issue or some other unrelated problem?

> > Other Info:

> > 1) I am running a P3 800, 1 gig ram.
> > 2) OS - Windows 2000 Pro
> > 3) Downloading files through Kazaa (My shared folder was on that second
> > drive)
> > 4) I have Norton Antivirus 2003 and have done a virus scan.  No virus
> found.
> > 5) I dont know which windows updates it was attempting to install - I
did
> > not check the details.  It must be something new though because I have
> kept
> > up to date with all the windows updates.
> > 6) The hard drive appears to be working and I copuld reformat the drive
(I
> > do not really want to though).

> > Possible solutions....
> > One tech I spoke with suggested using partion magic to adjust the size
of
> > the partion by 10 megs or some other small number.   Has anyone ever
heard
> > of that solving a problem like this or would that only make things
worse?

> > Any help would be greatly appreciated

Hard Drive file format changed from NTFS to Raw on reboot

Post by George Heste » Sun, 20 Apr 2003 10:38:46

Partition Magic 6 will do you no good.  In Windows XP you need version 8.

--
George Hester
__________________________________

> I ran PartitionInfo (from Partition Magic 6)  And got the following
> information:

> Info: End C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
>   Actual values are:
>         0  0  00      0    1    1  07   4864  254   63        63  78156162
> Error #109: Partition ends after end of disk.
>   ucEndCylinder (4864) must be less than 4111.

> Mabey this can help someone help me.

> Thanks,
> Matt Brown

> > Hello,

> > Last night I was downloading some files off the internet to a secondary
> hard
> > drive in my computer.  While these downloads were taking place I was
> reading
> > email in Outlook XP.  Windows update came on and told me there were new
> > updates to install.  I closed Outlook and installed the updates.  The
> > computer needed to be rebooted which I allowed it to do.

> > On reboot the file format of the secondary drive has changed from NTFS to
> > RAW.

> > My question is:

> > Does anyone know of any way to repair the allocation table on this drive
> > WITHOUT formating the hard drive?

> > Does anyone know of any programs that may be able to recover the
> information
> > on this drive (I am not going to send the drive away)?

> > Does anyone know what may have happened to this drive?  Was it a windows
> > update issue or some other unrelated problem?

> > Other Info:

> > 1) I am running a P3 800, 1 gig ram.
> > 2) OS - Windows 2000 Pro
> > 3) Downloading files through Kazaa (My shared folder was on that second
> > drive)
> > 4) I have Norton Antivirus 2003 and have done a virus scan.  No virus
> found.
> > 5) I dont know which windows updates it was attempting to install - I did
> > not check the details.  It must be something new though because I have
> kept
> > up to date with all the windows updates.
> > 6) The hard drive appears to be working and I copuld reformat the drive (I
> > do not really want to though).

> > Possible solutions....
> > One tech I spoke with suggested using partion magic to adjust the size of
> > the partion by 10 megs or some other small number.   Has anyone ever heard
> > of that solving a problem like this or would that only make things worse?

> > Any help would be greatly appreciated

Hard Drive file format changed from NTFS to Raw on reboot

Post by George Heste » Sun, 20 Apr 2003 11:20:19

Oh sorry Windows 2000 Pro my mistake yeah that version of Partition Magic should be OK.  Can you set up Windows 2000 on a different drive so that you can run chkdsk on the one you are having trouble with?

Actually I'd be surprised if a security fix did this but it has been known to happen.

--
George Hester
__________________________________

> I ran PartitionInfo (from Partition Magic 6)  And got the following
> information:

> Info: End C,H,S values were large drive placeholders.
>   Actual values are:
>         0  0  00      0    1    1  07   4864  254   63        63  78156162
> Error #109: Partition ends after end of disk.
>   ucEndCylinder (4864) must be less than 4111.

> Mabey this can help someone help me.

> Thanks,
> Matt Brown

> > Hello,

> > Last night I was downloading some files off the internet to a secondary
> hard
> > drive in my computer.  While these downloads were taking place I was
> reading
> > email in Outlook XP.  Windows update came on and told me there were new
> > updates to install.  I closed Outlook and installed the updates.  The
> > computer needed to be rebooted which I allowed it to do.

> > On reboot the file format of the secondary drive has changed from NTFS to
> > RAW.

> > My question is:

> > Does anyone know of any way to repair the allocation table on this drive
> > WITHOUT formating the hard drive?

> > Does anyone know of any programs that may be able to recover the
> information
> > on this drive (I am not going to send the drive away)?

> > Does anyone know what may have happened to this drive?  Was it a windows
> > update issue or some other unrelated problem?

> > Other Info:

> > 1) I am running a P3 800, 1 gig ram.
> > 2) OS - Windows 2000 Pro
> > 3) Downloading files through Kazaa (My shared folder was on that second
> > drive)
> > 4) I have Norton Antivirus 2003 and have done a virus scan.  No virus
> found.
> > 5) I dont know which windows updates it was attempting to install - I did
> > not check the details.  It must be something new though because I have
> kept
> > up to date with all the windows updates.
> > 6) The hard drive appears to be working and I copuld reformat the drive (I
> > do not really want to though).

> > Possible solutions....
> > One tech I spoke with suggested using partion magic to adjust the size of
> > the partion by 10 megs or some other small number.   Has anyone ever heard
> > of that solving a problem like this or would that only make things worse?

> > Any help would be greatly appreciated

1. File format on Hard Drive change from NTFS to Raw on reboot

[...]

2. ST's that DOZE OFF once in a while ..

3. Hard Drive changed format from NTFS to Raw on ReBoot

4. Need help implementing "NLST" FTP command with Winsock

5. Hard drive changed format from NTFS to Raw on reboot

6. FS: Fastlane Z3 with 20megs

7. How do you re-format a hard drive configured for NTFS

8. Situation at Compuware

9. How do I format hard drive with NTFS

10. How to Convert a Hard Drive With Data to NTFS Format

11. Changing hard drive format

12. Can I change a hard drive lable without re-formatting?

13. Retrieving Data From A Supposed RAW Hard Drive