VPN Connection disables internet connection...

VPN Connection disables internet connection...

Post by Slickto » Tue, 04 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I have W2K Professional with a DSL modem. I seem to have two problems:

1) When I am connected to my work network through VPN, I can't access
anything on the internet. All I can access are the systems at work.
2) At random intervals (especially after I get  404 error when browsing) I
lose my connection with the internet. The network status is fine and I get
DNS resolution, but everything times out.

Any help with either of these problems would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Post by Guy Alexande » Wed, 05 Jul 2000 04:00:00

--
Guy Alexander
MCSE instructor

if  yo cannot reach the internet check what ip you are getting from your vpn
server and if your work network is connected to the internet if
everything is ok .on the problem cleant machine change the metric of the vpn
interface so it will have anumber higher numericaly than the ppp interface
to the internet.
i hope that will solve the problem ,cause the client will try to find hosts
on the internet first

                  guy

Quote:> I have W2K Professional with a DSL modem. I seem to have two problems:

> 1) When I am connected to my work network through VPN, I can't access
> anything on the internet. All I can access are the systems at work.
> 2) At random intervals (especially after I get  404 error when browsing) I
> lose my connection with the internet. The network status is fine and I get
> DNS resolution, but everything times out.

> Any help with either of these problems would be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks

VPN Connection disables internet connection...

Post by Slickto » Wed, 05 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Thanks for you reply, but only my main pptp connection allows me to set the
metric and it is already 1. My VPN connection provides no such option and
both my IP and DNS addresses are server assigned for VPN.

I tried playing with some of the other options but nothing made any
difference.

Any other thoughts?

-Thanks.

> --
> Guy Alexander
> MCSE instructor
> Hi-Tech college ISRAEL

> if  yo cannot reach the internet check what ip you are getting from your
vpn
> server and if your work network is connected to the internet if
> everything is ok .on the problem cleant machine change the metric of the
vpn
> interface so it will have anumber higher numericaly than the ppp interface
> to the internet.
> i hope that will solve the problem ,cause the client will try to find
hosts
> on the internet first

>                   guy

> > I have W2K Professional with a DSL modem. I seem to have two problems:

> > 1) When I am connected to my work network through VPN, I can't access
> > anything on the internet. All I can access are the systems at work.
> > 2) At random intervals (especially after I get  404 error when browsing)
> > lose my connection with the internet. The network status is fine and I
get
> > DNS resolution, but everything times out.

> > Any help with either of these problems would be greatly appreciated.

> > Thanks

VPN Connection disables internet connection...

Post by Slickto » Wed, 05 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I figured it out thanks to a knowledgebase article. Here is the URL to the
article for those who are interested:

http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q171/9/22.asp?fr=0&s...
SS=DSG

The real trick was to uncheck the "Use Default Gatway..." option in the VPN
properties.

- Thanks.

> Thanks for you reply, but only my main pptp connection allows me to set
the
> metric and it is already 1. My VPN connection provides no such option and
> both my IP and DNS addresses are server assigned for VPN.

> I tried playing with some of the other options but nothing made any
> difference.

> Any other thoughts?

> -Thanks.

> > --
> > Guy Alexander
> > MCSE instructor
> > Hi-Tech college ISRAEL

> > if  yo cannot reach the internet check what ip you are getting from your
> vpn
> > server and if your work network is connected to the internet if
> > everything is ok .on the problem cleant machine change the metric of the
> vpn
> > interface so it will have anumber higher numericaly than the ppp
interface
> > to the internet.
> > i hope that will solve the problem ,cause the client will try to find
> hosts
> > on the internet first

> >                   guy

> > > I have W2K Professional with a DSL modem. I seem to have two problems:

> > > 1) When I am connected to my work network through VPN, I can't access
> > > anything on the internet. All I can access are the systems at work.
> > > 2) At random intervals (especially after I get  404 error when
browsing)
> > > lose my connection with the internet. The network status is fine and I
> get
> > > DNS resolution, but everything times out.

> > > Any help with either of these problems would be greatly appreciated.

> > > Thanks

1. Internet connection through a VPN connection

Hi All!

On my network I have a (Windows 2000 Advanced) server (192.168.1.1)
which is a Domaincontroller, DHCP, RAS server. The server has 2 NIC's,
1 local and 1 internet NIC

RAS is setup so that the clients can get to the internet.

I have 1 Wireless Access Point, and want the wireless users to
use VPN for there connection. The VPN connection is made correctly
they can ping the other local workstations (ip range 192.168.1.*)
But they can't get onto the internet through the VPN connection.

On the workstations that use VPN there is an option in the TCP/IP
properties 'Use default gateway on remote network' Using this doesn't
help. When on, the default gateway is the same as the IP address of
the VPN connection, when of, there is no gateway. I could set the
gateway to 192.168.1.1 but then the internetconnection wouldn't go
over the VPN connection.

So in short, I can't get to the internet via my VPN connection.

Any idea's what could be wrong and maybe idea's what I coudl check?

O yea, in Win2000 RAS Admin, at the server Properties -> IP tab I
have the option 'Enable IP routing' selected.

2. Dimmer Causes X-10 Devices to Not Work

3. VPN over dial-up connection loose other internet connections

4. laptop: ethernet AND slip: how?

5. VPN connection takes over internet connection

6. alaises

7. Internet connection through VPN connection

8. count row dependend from id

9. VPN connection appears to disable internet browsing

10. VPN Connection disables remote clients internet browsing

11. VPN - A VPN server requires that one connection be used as the private network connection

12. Internet Connection Sharing: Client permanently requests Build-up of Internet Connection

13. Name Resolution via VPN and Internet Connection via VPN