Win2k, Win98 and WinNT

Post by H Stan » Mon, 13 Aug 2001 12:07:27

Hi all,

I have two OSes, win2k and WinME on my compuer now. There are three disk
partions, C: and E: is FAT32 and D: is NTFS. I want to setup NT on my
computer.
Is it possible?
How can I do?
Thanks.

HS

Win2k, Win98 and WinNT

Post by Scot » Mon, 13 Aug 2001 14:22:32

Do you want to set it up as a third boot option? If so, your best bet would
probably be with a third-party utility such as Boot Magic (packaged with
Partition Magic) or System Commander.

Scott, A+

Quote:> Hi all,

> I have two OSes, win2k and WinME on my compuer now. There are three disk
> partions, C: and E: is FAT32 and D: is NTFS. I want to setup NT on my
> computer.
> Is it possible?
> How can I do?
> Thanks.

> HS

Win2k, Win98 and WinNT

Post by Gary Morri » Mon, 13 Aug 2001 15:41:05

Quote:> I have two OSes, win2k and WinME on my compuer now. There are three disk
> partions, C: and E: is FAT32 and D: is NTFS. I want to setup NT on my
> computer.
> Is it possible?
> How can I do?

Not really.  Since NT cannot access FAT32 partitions, you would have to
install it on your D: partition.  That would lead to the two versions of the
operating system using the same Program Files directory, which can lead to
* conflicts.  You'd probably be best converting E: to NTFS or FAT, and
putting WinNT there.  Also keep in mind that WinNT may (I'm not completely
sure) overwrite 2k's startup files when it installs, so you'd have to use
the Rescue options from the 2k CD to restore them.

 -gm

Win2k, Win98 and WinNT

Post by CS » Tue, 14 Aug 2001 05:55:15

Not easily.  One way is to convert drive C to FAT-16 (NT can't "see"
FAT-32) and install NT.  Depending on the size of drive C that might
not be a good idea as FAT-16 partitions larger than 500mb waste
cluster space.

Quote:>Hi all,

>I have two OSes, win2k and WinME on my compuer now. There are three disk
>partions, C: and E: is FAT32 and D: is NTFS. I want to setup NT on my
>computer.
>Is it possible?
>How can I do?
>Thanks.

>HS

Win2k, Win98 and WinNT

Post by Ricardo M. Urban » Wed, 15 Aug 2001 01:57:57

actually, Gary, NT setup cannot see NTFS5 partitions, so his only option
is to convert the FAT32 partition to FAT16 and only if it is <=4GB in
size.  he would then have to install NT4 to the C: drive and that would
*up his program files folders assuming ME is on C:

anything he does to try and get NT4 on this machine would be very ugly.

> > I have two OSes, win2k and WinME on my compuer now. There are three disk
> > partions, C: and E: is FAT32 and D: is NTFS. I want to setup NT on my
> > computer.
> > Is it possible?
> > How can I do?

> Not really.  Since NT cannot access FAT32 partitions, you would have to
> install it on your D: partition.  That would lead to the two versions of the
> operating system using the same Program Files directory, which can lead to
> * conflicts.  You'd probably be best converting E: to NTFS or FAT, and
> putting WinNT there.  Also keep in mind that WinNT may (I'm not completely
> sure) overwrite 2k's startup files when it installs, so you'd have to use
> the Rescue options from the 2k CD to restore them.

>  -gm

1. is there a file in Win2K or WinNT like msconfig.exe on Win98?

Try these keys.

HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ RunServices
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ RunServicesOnce
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\ RunOnce\Setup

--
Regards,

Dave Patrick
No email replies please - reply in newsgroup

 I've installed Netscape on WinNT and it always starts the AIM when the
system restarts.I want to cancel it,but I've checked the
registry(HKEY_LOCALMACHINE\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\WINDOWS NT\RUN),the startup
program folder,the win.ini,the services... but I can't find where the
auto-start command is. or is there is a file just like msconfig.exe?

hope some suggestions!
Orion

2. scratched game

3. Differences between Win2k and win98/winNT ?

4. Netlib for EasyC[++]

5. Adding Win2K to WinNT and Win98 dual-boot?

6. New Win2000 Server added to a NT4 domain as BDC

7. Tri-Boot Win98,WinNT & Win2k

8. GPO to save to a specific network share and no access to other shares ?

9. connect win98 with win2K pro/winNT workstation

10. Difference between Win2k Terminal Service in WinNT 4.0 compatibility mode and Win2k mode?

11. winnt folder linked to winnt copy

12. c:\winnt\system32\perfctrs.dll.failed within c:\winnt

13. Change d:\winnt TO c:\winnt