VPN on Remote Subnet

Post by stuart_crawf.. » Thu, 15 Jun 2000 04:00:00

HI Everyone

I have a VPN Server running Win2k, when I attempt to login to my local
domain everything works fine...now, I have a domain that is a trusted
domain, that is in a different building, when I attempt to login to
that domain, I can not make the connection.  It comes up with an error
stating my login credentials are not correct, but they are.

Here is the layout

VPN Server 192.168.99.2
Router
PDC in Domain1 192.168.98.1 - Works
Router
PDC in Domain2 192.168.97.1 - Doesn't work

I have put entries in the DUN connection pointing to the WINS server on
Domain2, and put entries in the local LMHOSTS file for the PDC and the
Domain /ox1b

Once connected to Domain1 I can sometimes run net view on domain2 and
see PC's and Shares.

Any ideas

Thanks

Stuart

--
Stuart R. Crawford, MCP, CNA
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

VPN on Remote Subnet

Post by John Lyristi » Thu, 15 Jun 2000 04:00:00

First the configuration for resolution;
Do a nbtstat -A on the hostname of PDC2 to see if Netbios resolution occurs.
Make sure you have entries for both PDC's /0x1b and individual entries
pointing to the IP addresses "even" if you are using WINS. Lastly, put also
entries in the hosts file for each of the PDC's.

Now for your credentials.
You mentioned that you have a domain that is trusted. "HOW" is this domain
trusted, is this a one way or two way trust. Have the trusts been setup
correctly?

If this is a one way trust you may need alternate access credentials and the
error message you are getting might very well be correct. Have you tried
accessing domain 2 from the LAN at bldg 1 with the same user/passwd that you
are using for your VPN connection? What are the results. If you are getting
the same error message then verify that your trusts are in order.

John

Quote:> HI Everyone

> I have a VPN Server running Win2k, when I attempt to login to my local
> domain everything works fine...now, I have a domain that is a trusted
> domain, that is in a different building, when I attempt to login to
> that domain, I can not make the connection.  It comes up with an error
> stating my login credentials are not correct, but they are.

> Here is the layout

> VPN Server 192.168.99.2
> Router
> PDC in Domain1 192.168.98.1 - Works
> Router
> PDC in Domain2 192.168.97.1 - Doesn't work

> I have put entries in the DUN connection pointing to the WINS server on
> Domain2, and put entries in the local LMHOSTS file for the PDC and the
> Domain /ox1b

> Once connected to Domain1 I can sometimes run net view on domain2 and
> see PC's and Shares.

> Any ideas

> Thanks

> Stuart

> --
> Stuart R. Crawford, MCP, CNA
> Calgary, Alberta, Canada

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

1. VPN & Routing to remote subnet

I have been given the job of enabling staff connections to our internal
networks from their home Cable / DSL ISP connections.

Our company has 2 internal networks - Melbourne: 192.168.2.0 and Sydney:
192.168.3.0.
The Win2K RRAS Server is a dual homed PDC - Internet: 203.x.x.x and Internal
192.168.2.15 with a one way trust enabling authentication for users in our
NT4 domain.
So far I have everything working so that the clients (Win NT Wkstn, and
Win2K Pro) connect to VPN.
Once connected, they can map drives, browse Nethood for all PC's / Servers
on the 192.168.2.0 network.

The VPN users can see all the PC's / Servers on the 192.168.3.0 network via
nethood but when they try to access / map drives they get told that the
remote computer could not be found.
A traceroute to any IP in the 192.168.3.0 network from the client shows that
it is going out via the DSL to the internet rather than using the VPN
connection.

I have been able to successfully add a static route to the client and they
were able to access / map drives for everything on the 192.168.3.0 network
with the following command:
route add 192.168.3.0 MASK 255.255.255.0 192.168.2.77 IF 0x1000003
The problem is the static route needs to be changed everytime they connect,
as they get assisgned a different IP address and the IF number changes each
time they connect. (RRAS assigns IP addresses to clients from the DHCP pool
on our 192.168.2.0 network). Our users that are using this are not very IT
knowledgable and to get them to first confirm their IP address then add the
static route including all details as above would be too much for them

I need a solution that could be added to the server to enable the clients
know the correct path to the 192.168.3.0 network when they connect to RRAS.
I have tried setting static routes on the server, both via command line and
the RRAS console, but neither work.

If anyone is aware of how I could do this I would really appreciate some
help. I gather it can be done and it's probably pretty simple but I guess I
am missing / overlooking something.

Many thanks in advance,

Regards,

Chris Whithear

2. Mitchs Palm Pilot Files

3. VPN issue for End users, VPN end point multiple subnets adding static routes on the fly ?

4. Scripting the finder - how make process invisible?

5. Local ISA VPN to Remote ISA VPN working but .....

6. WildPalm! Free Wireless Games

7. Can computer behind a VPN server access a remote network behind another VPN

8. Users accounts being locked

9. Slow PRO logon on remote subnet

10. Domain Not Avail on Remote Subnet, Used to be!!!

11. Need help joining a domain from a remote subnet

12. ADSL. Remote subnet not reacheble

13. WINS Remote subnet