Dial in from W2K

Post by John Smit » Fri, 06 Apr 2001 02:21:21

I have W2K users who works from home using VPN to access W2K corporate
network. I instruct them to setup workgroup name, user name and password on
home machine same as they use to log on into Corporate network. According to
Microsoft they should be able to browse network and access share without
being prompted again to enter user name and password. But it's doesn't work,
every time user want to access share on specific computer, pop up windows
ask them to enter domain\username and password. Is there any work  around
without adding users home computer to Corporate domain. Windows 98 works
fine.
Thanks,

Dial in from W2K

Post by 24260 » Fri, 06 Apr 2001 04:03:53

With the Dial Up Networking connection active, join the home computer to the domain.  Then the user
can logon at home using the domain user account even when not connected (using "cached
credentials").  Also see the thread "Dial up with NT Domain Change Password Capability" in the
"microsoft.public.win2000.general" newsgroup.

--
Happiness is understanding how things work!

It is futile to know the correct answer to the wrong question!

> I have W2K users who works from home using VPN to access W2K corporate
> network. I instruct them to setup workgroup name, user name and password on
> home machine same as they use to log on into Corporate network. According to
> Microsoft they should be able to browse network and access share without
> being prompted again to enter user name and password. But it's doesn't work,
> every time user want to access share on specific computer, pop up windows
> ask them to enter domain\username and password. Is there any work  around
> without adding users home computer to Corporate domain. Windows 98 works
> fine.
> Thanks,

Dial in from W2K

Post by John Smit » Fri, 06 Apr 2001 04:27:56

The issue is here that i don't want to join all users home computers to
Corporate domain. Is there any other solution?

Quote:> With the Dial Up Networking connection active, join the home computer to

the domain.  Then the user
Quote:> can logon at home using the domain user account even when not connected
(using "cached
> credentials").  Also see the thread "Dial up with NT Domain Change

Password Capability" in the
> "microsoft.public.win2000.general" newsgroup.

> --
> Happiness is understanding how things work!

> It is futile to know the correct answer to the wrong question!

Quote:> > I have W2K users who works from home using VPN to access W2K corporate
> > network. I instruct them to setup workgroup name, user name and password
on
> > home machine same as they use to log on into Corporate network.
According to
> > Microsoft they should be able to browse network and access share without
> > being prompted again to enter user name and password. But it's doesn't
work,
> > every time user want to access share on specific computer, pop up
windows
> > ask them to enter domain\username and password. Is there any work
around
> > without adding users home computer to Corporate domain. Windows 98 works
> > fine.
> > Thanks,

Dial in from W2K

Post by Stuar » Fri, 06 Apr 2001 19:29:17

Enable guest access.

--
Stuart
(No email enquiries or responses please)