Expanding logical drive in Windows 2000 on a Compaq Server

Expanding logical drive in Windows 2000 on a Compaq Server

Post by Donny Piwowarsk » Fri, 26 Jul 2002 06:51:58

I have a Compaq Ml530 server running W2k Adv and need to
expand the RAID 5 array. I can expand the physical side of
the array with no problems but expanding the logical side
of my array requires converting the disks from basic to
dynamic. I was told by Compaq server support that this is
not supported because of data corruption issues when
converting to dynamic disks. I saw this article in the KB
us;q294244

has anyone had experience with expanding the logical side
on a compaq server? any suggestions?
The server I am planning to expand contains all of our
user's home dirs, so it is crucial that the expansion does
not cause any data corruption.
Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.
Donny Piwowarski
MCSE 2000

Expanding logical drive in Windows 2000 on a Compaq Server

Post by RoyB » Sat, 27 Jul 2002 01:46:51

We have/had the same problem with an EMC SAN.  The EMC
software would expand the RAID 5 with no problem, but the
OS saw it as unallocated space on a drive.  Hitch is that
clustering doesn’t like dynamic drives, like the Q article
states.  If you hear of a way to get around it, please let
me know!

Roy

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>I have a Compaq Ml530 server running W2k Adv and need to
>expand the RAID 5 array. I can expand the physical side
of
>the array with no problems but expanding the logical side
>of my array requires converting the disks from basic to
>dynamic. I was told by Compaq server support that this is
>not supported because of data corruption issues when
>converting to dynamic disks. I saw this article in the KB
>us;q294244

>has anyone had experience with expanding the logical side
>on a compaq server? any suggestions?
>The server I am planning to expand contains all of our
>user's home dirs, so it is crucial that the expansion
does
>not cause any data corruption.
>Thank you in advance for any help you can provide.
>Donny Piwowarski
>MCSE 2000

>.

1. .Net Com Add-ins for Word 2000 does not register in Windows 2000 Server

Hi.
I have developed a Word-Addin using Vb.net. I have created
a Setup File for deployment. On Windows 2000 professional
machines the Add-in get registered in the Installation
process. But on Windows 2000 server machine Installation
is successful but The Add-in is not registered  during
installation process. I have to manually register the Add-
in to get it started. The add-in does not have a strong
name so I  have specified the location of Installation
Folder to that of winword.exe

Please Help
Bye

2. Goldstar 8x noisy

3. expanding a partition and logical drive

4. Future of Compaq

5. Logical Drive Limits - Windwos 2000 Server

6. Fonts from Handwriting?

7. Setup Windows 2000 servep - problem (logical drive) HELP!!!

8. Buzzing and interference

9. Windows 2000 does not recognize expanded harddisk drive

10. Expanding Windows 2000 Server Boot/OS Partition

11. Windows 2000 Server Slow Shutdown Compaq Proliant

12. Compaq WL110 and Windows 2000 Server

13. Compaq Server Unattended install with Windows 2000