2 simultaneous internet connections

Post by Lancelot Fletche » Tue, 30 Jan 2001 04:50:51

My small home network is connected to the internet via a DSL
connection.  I also have an AT&T Worldnet dialup account which I opened
during a time when my DSL account was not working.  Today, just as an
experiment, I tried dialing up the Worldnet account while the DSL
connection was working.  Somewhat to my surprise, the Worldnet
connection worked also.

My question is, how does this work, and is there any problem or danger
involved?  I had always thought that a computer could have only one
winsock connection at a time.  If I open a browser, how does the
computer know which internet connection to use?

--
Lance Fletcher, President
The Free Lance Academy Foundation

2 simultaneous internet connections

Post by Edison Orti » Tue, 30 Jan 2001 06:37:38

Just do a ROUTE PRINT - The one with the lowest metric has the
'*' connection.

1. Internet Connection Sharing only allows 2 simultaneous connections

Hi

I have a small network of 3 machines. .

PC desktop windows 2000
PC laptop windows 2000
Mac G3 Mac OS 9.1

After upgrading to Windows 2000 I set up internet connection sharing on the
desktop PC to allow others to connect to the internet. Unfortunately the
connection performs very poorly when viewing web pages on the machines that
access the internet via ICS.

I think that this is due to a limit on the number of simultaneous
connections. The total bandwidth available does not seem to be limited and
everything runs fine when checking e-mail (single connection). However when
transferring a lot of files via FTP, I noticed that the FTP program would
only allow 2 connections at a time. I'm sure that this is the cause of slow
display of web pages. This really slows things down on sites that use a lot
of images.

Is it possible that the ICS software is not set-up or installed correctly,
or can I update the number of simultaneous connections allowed?

Any suggestions appreciated

Daniel

2. C++ Implementation

3. Reposting : Internet Connection Sharing only allowing 2 simultaneous connections per machine

4. Newbie Question

5. simultaneous vpn and internet connection problems

6. 286 with 1Meg: only 580Kb detected (and used)

7. Internet Connection Sharing: Client permanently requests Build-up of Internet Connection

8. Dual modem cable

9. Simultaneous Modem & LAN Connections

10. Choosing between simultaneous net connections

11. Simultaneous LAN and dialup Connections

12. Simultaneous PPP connections to Multiple ISP's from the same PC

13. Does VPN support simultaneous connection from the a single IP?