Problem with DNS and Belkin router

Problem with DNS and Belkin router

Post by DLM » Sat, 02 Nov 2002 07:09:03



Hello
I'm having trouble using DNS on my W2K domain. My domain
consists of a W2K server and a W2K client. The server is
the DC, the DHCP, and the DNS server for my domain. I also
have a Belkin 4-port router. The problem is I can't access
the Internet when I have my server do DHCP and DNS
services. If I let the router handle this, it works. Of
course I have to disable DHCP and DNS on my server. I've
tried to enable forwarding for unresolved DNS queries but
the server won't let me because the DNS server is a root
server. Here are my settings for my server:
IP addy: 192.168.202.1
Subnet: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.202.2
DNS: 192.168.202.2 (it won't work unless I do it this way)
Any ideas? Thanks!
 
 
 

Problem with DNS and Belkin router

Post by Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr » Sat, 02 Nov 2002 07:50:33


DLM,
Delete the Root "." (dot) zone in your DNS forward lookup zones, restart DNS
then you can enable forwarders.

--
--
Kevin D4Dad Goodknecht Sr.
--

Quote:> Hello
> I'm having trouble using DNS on my W2K domain. My domain
> consists of a W2K server and a W2K client. The server is
> the DC, the DHCP, and the DNS server for my domain. I also
> have a Belkin 4-port router. The problem is I can't access
> the Internet when I have my server do DHCP and DNS
> services. If I let the router handle this, it works. Of
> course I have to disable DHCP and DNS on my server. I've
> tried to enable forwarding for unresolved DNS queries but
> the server won't let me because the DNS server is a root
> server. Here are my settings for my server:
> IP addy: 192.168.202.1
> Subnet: 255.255.255.0
> Gateway: 192.168.202.2
> DNS: 192.168.202.2 (it won't work unless I do it this way)
> Any ideas? Thanks!


 
 
 

Problem with DNS and Belkin router

Post by Danny Sander » Sat, 02 Nov 2002 07:47:07


I've

Quote:> tried to enable forwarding for unresolved DNS queries but
> the server won't let me because the DNS server is a root
> server.

Open the DNS snapin and delete the "." (dot) forward lookup zone that is
created by default. This will allow you to set up forwarders.

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE


Quote:> Hello
> I'm having trouble using DNS on my W2K domain. My domain
> consists of a W2K server and a W2K client. The server is
> the DC, the DHCP, and the DNS server for my domain. I also
> have a Belkin 4-port router. The problem is I can't access
> the Internet when I have my server do DHCP and DNS
> services. If I let the router handle this, it works. Of
> course I have to disable DHCP and DNS on my server. I've
> tried to enable forwarding for unresolved DNS queries but
> the server won't let me because the DNS server is a root
> server. Here are my settings for my server:
> IP addy: 192.168.202.1
> Subnet: 255.255.255.0
> Gateway: 192.168.202.2
> DNS: 192.168.202.2 (it won't work unless I do it this way)
> Any ideas? Thanks!

 
 
 

Problem with DNS and Belkin router

Post by DLM » Sat, 02 Nov 2002 08:11:22


Thanks guys, I'll do that. Would that affect Active
Directory though?
>-----Original Message-----
>I've
>> tried to enable forwarding for unresolved DNS queries
but
>> the server won't let me because the DNS server is a root
>> server.

>Open the DNS snapin and delete the "." (dot) forward
lookup zone that is
>created by default. This will allow you to set up
forwarders.

>hth
>DDS W 2k MVP MCSE



>> Hello
>> I'm having trouble using DNS on my W2K domain. My domain
>> consists of a W2K server and a W2K client. The server is
>> the DC, the DHCP, and the DNS server for my domain. I
also
>> have a Belkin 4-port router. The problem is I can't
access
>> the Internet when I have my server do DHCP and DNS
>> services. If I let the router handle this, it works. Of
>> course I have to disable DHCP and DNS on my server. I've
>> tried to enable forwarding for unresolved DNS queries
but
>> the server won't let me because the DNS server is a root
>> server. Here are my settings for my server:
>> IP addy: 192.168.202.1
>> Subnet: 255.255.255.0
>> Gateway: 192.168.202.2
>> DNS: 192.168.202.2 (it won't work unless I do it this
way)
>> Any ideas? Thanks!

>.

 
 
 

Problem with DNS and Belkin router

Post by Kevin D. Goodknecht Sr » Sat, 02 Nov 2002 13:01:54


No affect on AD the root is created by default and is supposed to be deleted
if internet resolution is needed.

--
--
Kevin D4Dad Goodknecht Sr.
--

> Thanks guys, I'll do that. Would that affect Active
> Directory though?
> >-----Original Message-----
> >I've
> >> tried to enable forwarding for unresolved DNS queries
> but
> >> the server won't let me because the DNS server is a root
> >> server.

> >Open the DNS snapin and delete the "." (dot) forward
> lookup zone that is
> >created by default. This will allow you to set up
> forwarders.

> >hth
> >DDS W 2k MVP MCSE



> >> Hello
> >> I'm having trouble using DNS on my W2K domain. My domain
> >> consists of a W2K server and a W2K client. The server is
> >> the DC, the DHCP, and the DNS server for my domain. I
> also
> >> have a Belkin 4-port router. The problem is I can't
> access
> >> the Internet when I have my server do DHCP and DNS
> >> services. If I let the router handle this, it works. Of
> >> course I have to disable DHCP and DNS on my server. I've
> >> tried to enable forwarding for unresolved DNS queries
> but
> >> the server won't let me because the DNS server is a root
> >> server. Here are my settings for my server:
> >> IP addy: 192.168.202.1
> >> Subnet: 255.255.255.0
> >> Gateway: 192.168.202.2
> >> DNS: 192.168.202.2 (it won't work unless I do it this
> way)
> >> Any ideas? Thanks!

> >.

 
 
 

1. Install Failure: Belkin Wireless PCI Adaptor + Belkin Wireless Notebook Network Adaptor (UK)

Hello folks,
    I bought the above combination of items for a Windows 2000 machine, but
I am struggling to get it working (in other words, it refuses to work). I
can supply the following information:

Machine: Intel PIII 450 MHz, 128 Mb RAM, Voodoo 3 2000 AGP gfx card (yes,
it's an old machine).
Other network adaptors installed: DLink PCI adapter (for an internal LAN,
not connected or even enabled right now).
OS: Windows 2000, vanilla re-installation (thus, no SP as yet).

Wireless PCI adaptor card installed firmly (I'm nervous about these things
so I check thoroughly to avoid having to keep opening the machine!).
Notebook adaptor card only goes in one way into the PCI adaptor (I tried
other way, doesn't push in completely), so I'm confident the hardware is
installed correctly. The green LEDs on either side of the card do light up,
which I take as a good sign.

I obviously rebooted after installing to make sure.

Symptom: Device manager flags it with the yellow exclamation mark, and the
reason is "Device cannot start (10)".

Event viewer records: Error (CW10): Device does not support specified
settings.

The device drivers were originally installed exactly as directed, and thus I
assume it chose the correct driver. Win2K makes it impossible to completely
uninstall the device and drivers, it seems to cache them somewhere. Best I
can do to try uninstalling and reinstalling is to let it uninstall and then
scan for it again, then "specify a device type" (otherwise, it automatically
picks up the original driver and doesn't give me any input). By clicking
Have Disk and pointing it at the installation CD, it gives me a choice of
notebook network adaptor or PCI adaptor card. I have tried choosing both in
the past, but the for latest attempt I chose PCI adaptor since that is what
is actually plugged into the machine as far as the machine can see. Machine
was, of course, rebooted after this driver update.

Still no joy.

Help? Anyone have any suggestions?

--
Jason Teagle

2. Hamamatsu P5587

3. DNS from VPN router-router problem

4. US-DC-NoVa: Pre-sales Systems Engineers with Informix, Oracle or Sybase exp.

5. REPOST: Please help with DNS over VPN Router-to-Router

6. Future of Oracle Glue?

7. Belkin AVR-500VA UPS questions and Win2000 shutdown problems

8. comp.dcom.lans.ethernet FAQ

9. Windows Router to Router L2TP VPN Connection Problem

10. Router-to-router VPN problem

11. RRAS VPN Router-Router Routing problem

12. Router to Router VPN connection problem

13. Problem accessing systems over Router to Router VPN