What is Windows 2000's Default Number of File Handles?

What is Windows 2000's Default Number of File Handles?

Post by Mark & Mary Ann Weis » Sun, 14 Apr 2002 12:35:05

What is the default number of file handles under Win 2000 and how do I
increase it?

I'm working on a rather complex Adobe Premiere project and I suspect it has
run out of file handles as I have doubled the installed RAM and have 10
times as much disk space on the temp, swap, and project output drives as the
project needs. Premiere complains of not enough file handles when opening a
slightly edited version of this project.

I suspect Premiere crashing while rendering this project to make previews,
or while exporting to MPEG is not memory-related after all (if it was, then
adding the extra gigabyte of RAM would have solved it) but rather, due to
some limitation in the OS, probably file handles. The project has over 370
clips, each one with a transition, so that's 740 files that I directly know
about, not to mention project files, font files and windows 2000 system
files that are open! I suspect the limit to be around 512 files in Windows
2000 because my project bombs before it can create half of the preview
files, limiting the total number of files open just before the crash to
around 500~files.

How can I increase the number of files Windows 2000 can have open?

--
Take care,

Mark & Mary Ann Weiss
Hobbies page: http://basspig.tripod.com/

Business sites at:
www.dv-clips.com
www.mwcomms.com
www.adventuresinanimemusic.com
-

What is Windows 2000's Default Number of File Handles?

Post by Peter Milesso » Sun, 14 Apr 2002 18:44:02

Quote:> What is the default number of file handles under Win 2000 and how do I
> increase it?

Hi,

There is no explicit limit on the number of file handles an application can
use under 32-bit Windows (Windows-95 and higher). You may run out of
non-paged memory though (see excerpt below).
Excerpt from MSDN: "Windows NT, Windows 95, Windows 98: The maximum number
of files that an application can open is determined by the amount of
available non-paged memory pool, because each open file handle requires
non-paged memory."

Greetings,

Peter

What is Windows 2000's Default Number of File Handles?

Post by John » Sun, 14 Apr 2002 23:08:00

As Peter has pointed out technically there is no file handle limit on 32 bit
systems and I have never heard of being able to increase availability, but I can
be wrong on that.  For DOS programs you increase the file handle in the
config.sys file.  This has nothing to do with windows programs so no use
bothering with that.  If you get a file error message in a windows application
it's usually an error in the program itself, VB programers know about these
issues and write their code accordingly.  I suggest that you go to the Adobe
help center for more help.

John

Quote:> What is the default number of file handles under Win 2000 and how do I
> increase it?

> I'm working on a rather complex Adobe Premiere project and I suspect it has
> run out of file handles as I have doubled the installed RAM and have 10
> times as much disk space on the temp, swap, and project output drives as the
> project needs. Premiere complains of not enough file handles when opening a
> slightly edited version of this project.

> I suspect Premiere crashing while rendering this project to make previews,
> or while exporting to MPEG is not memory-related after all (if it was, then
> adding the extra gigabyte of RAM would have solved it) but rather, due to
> some limitation in the OS, probably file handles. The project has over 370
> clips, each one with a transition, so that's 740 files that I directly know
> about, not to mention project files, font files and windows 2000 system
> files that are open! I suspect the limit to be around 512 files in Windows
> 2000 because my project bombs before it can create half of the preview
> files, limiting the total number of files open just before the crash to
> around 500~files.

> How can I increase the number of files Windows 2000 can have open?

> --
> Take care,

> Mark & Mary Ann Weiss
> Hobbies page: http://basspig.tripod.com/

> Business sites at:
> www.dv-clips.com
> www.mwcomms.com
> www.adventuresinanimemusic.com
> -

What is Windows 2000's Default Number of File Handles?

Post by John » Sun, 14 Apr 2002 23:19:20

Oh, by the way see here for illumination on the programming issue of file handles:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q66640

John

> As Peter has pointed out technically there is no file handle limit on 32 bit
> systems and I have never heard of being able to increase availability, but I can
> be wrong on that.  For DOS programs you increase the file handle in the
> config.sys file.  This has nothing to do with windows programs so no use
> bothering with that.  If you get a file error message in a windows application
> it's usually an error in the program itself, VB programers know about these
> issues and write their code accordingly.  I suggest that you go to the Adobe
> help center for more help.

> John

> > What is the default number of file handles under Win 2000 and how do I
> > increase it?

> > I'm working on a rather complex Adobe Premiere project and I suspect it has
> > run out of file handles as I have doubled the installed RAM and have 10
> > times as much disk space on the temp, swap, and project output drives as the
> > project needs. Premiere complains of not enough file handles when opening a
> > slightly edited version of this project.

> > I suspect Premiere crashing while rendering this project to make previews,
> > or while exporting to MPEG is not memory-related after all (if it was, then
> > adding the extra gigabyte of RAM would have solved it) but rather, due to
> > some limitation in the OS, probably file handles. The project has over 370
> > clips, each one with a transition, so that's 740 files that I directly know
> > about, not to mention project files, font files and windows 2000 system
> > files that are open! I suspect the limit to be around 512 files in Windows
> > 2000 because my project bombs before it can create half of the preview
> > files, limiting the total number of files open just before the crash to
> > around 500~files.

> > How can I increase the number of files Windows 2000 can have open?

> > --
> > Take care,

> > Mark & Mary Ann Weiss
> > Hobbies page: http://basspig.tripod.com/

> > Business sites at:
> > www.dv-clips.com
> > www.mwcomms.com
> > www.adventuresinanimemusic.com
> > -

What is Windows 2000's Default Number of File Handles?

Post by Mark & Mary Ann Weis » Mon, 15 Apr 2002 02:23:28

I think you just answered my question with the MS article. "Note that the
maximum number of handles that can be requested is 255, and what is returned
can be a number less than requested. " That would explain why Premiere quits
only 2/3 of the way through building preview files of the 370 clips in my
project. Adobe seems unable to come back with a clear answer. I know it
can't be non-paged memory shortages because I added another Gig of RAM to my
motherboard last night and that didn't make a bit of difference at where
Premiere bombs out during the preview rendering process. It's always 2/3 of
the way through.

Ultimately, my solution was to render out 15-min segments of my project into
single AVI files, reimport those and delete the 50 or so files it replaces.
I had to do this four times, eliminating over 200 files and replacing them
with only four files. That solved the problem, but in the long run it takes
forever and really makes a lot of extra work, not to mention taking a lot of
additional disk space.

Thanks for revealing some absolutes about Win 2000.

> [...]

know
>> > about, not to mention project files, font files and windows 2000 system
>> > files that are open! I suspect the limit to be around 512 files in
Windows
>> > 2000 because my project bombs before it can create half of the preview
>> > files, limiting the total number of files open just before the crash to
>> > around 500~files.

>> > How can I increase the number of files Windows 2000 can have open?

>> > --
>> > Take care,

>> > Mark & Mary Ann Weiss
>> > Hobbies page: http://basspig.tripod.com/

>> > Business sites at:
>> > www.dv-clips.com
>> > www.mwcomms.com
>> > www.adventuresinanimemusic.com
>> > -

What is Windows 2000's Default Number of File Handles?

Post by George Heste » Mon, 15 Apr 2002 04:07:42

You know the provided exe in the sample told me the handle limit was 20.
Couldn't make my own.  The exe was made but an exception error "denied" was
generated.  You gota love these samples at Microsoft.  Yeah I know it is 12
years old.

--
George Hester
_________________________________

> [...]

> >> config.sys file.  This has nothing to do with windows programs so no
use
> >> bothering with that.  If you get a file error message in a windows
> application
> >> it's usually an error in the program itself, VB programers know about
> these
> >> issues and write their code accordingly.  I suggest that you go to the
> Adobe
> >> help center for more help.

> >> John

> has
> as the
> opening a

> previews,
> then
> 370
> know
> Windows

What is Windows 2000's Default Number of File Handles?

Post by Mark & Mary Ann Weis » Mon, 15 Apr 2002 14:03:03

The limit has to be more than that! More like 512 in my estimation, based on
how many files get created before Premiere crashes during rendering.

> [...]

>> bit
>> but I can
>use
>> application
>> these
>> Adobe

>it
>> has
>10
>> as the
>> opening a

>> previews,
>was,
>> then
>due
>over
>> 370
>directly
>> know
>system
>> Windows
>preview

What is Windows 2000's Default Number of File Handles?

Post by John » Mon, 15 Apr 2002 23:19:55

It's a redaction error, I think the "default" value is 20.

John

> [...]

> > single AVI files, reimport those and delete the 50 or so files it
> replaces.
> > I had to do this four times, eliminating over 200 files and replacing them
> > with only four files. That solved the problem, but in the long run it
> takes
> > forever and really makes a lot of extra work, not to mention taking a lot
> of
> > additional disk space.

> > Thanks for revealing some absolutes about Win 2000.

> > Take care,

> > Mark & Mary Ann Weiss
> > Hobbies page: http://basspig.tripod.com/

> > Business sites at:
> > www.dv-clips.com
> > www.mwcomms.com
> > www.adventuresinanimemusic.com
> > -

> > >Oh, by the way see here for illumination on the programming issue of file

1. windows 2000 can't handle multiple/concurrent transfers?

Hello,

i'm reposting this as i didn't get any comments,
in my first posting..

i have tried this on even more boxes now and
i get the same results everytime..

/Supriya

--

Hello there!

I have a question about W2K (pro/sp1) networking.

1. open FTP to "madras". download speed = 10MB/s.
2. open FTP to "delhi". download speed  = 10MB/s.

let's open two concurrent ftp sessions (in different dos windows):

3-1. open FTP to "madras". download speed  2,5MB/s
3-2. open FTP to "delhi". download speed 2,5MB/s

what happened here, why did i just loose 5MB/s??!?  i've tried this on many
w2k boxes and i get half the speed of which i should get ALL the times!! (?)
even w98 does
multiple/concurrent transfers better... ?!

anyone else who can verify/explain this?

Thanks,
Supriya Mitra

2. helmert transformation

3. FRS - limitations on number of files that FRS can handle?

4. Ultra5, More than 8 bits of color in X?

5. Maximum number of file handles

6. Blocking undisclosed_recpients@?

7. Maximum number of open file handles

8. Install TCPIP without router

9. Sharp increase in number of handles used by windows explorer

10. open the large number of files in windows 2000 using CA-Clipper

11. window handle increment problem, want release handle, how to?

12. "max" number of files in a windows 2000 NTFS directory?

13. Memory leak copying large numbers of files from Windows 2000 server