add/remove programs doesn't work after SP3

add/remove programs doesn't work after SP3

Post by Jim Hampso » Wed, 20 Nov 2002 09:00:43

When I open the add/remove programs applet, I get the following popup
message:

An unexpected error occurred. Class not registered
res://appwiz.cpl/listbox.htc
Line:225

At the top of the add/remove window, it states that:
"There are no programs installed on this computer."

When I scroll down, I can see all of the installed apps but the options to
change and remove are grayed out.

I have tried registering the appwiz.cpl using the following command:
REGSVR32 appwiz.cpl
This reports as successfully regsitering the component but no change in the
add/remove programs.

I have also tried all of the steps listed on Q266668 which doesn't seem to
be available any longer but google had a cached copy.

At first I thought the problem was caused by NAV Corporate Edition 7.6 but I
have tried stopping the NAV client before applying SP3 and get the same
result. I have tried installing from the command line using update.exe and
via group policy using update.msi. With very few exceptions, the add/remove
programs icon is broken after the SP3 install on our Windows 2000 Pro
machines.

Has anyone experienced this problem?

Thanks in advance,
Jim

add/remove programs doesn't work after SP3

Post by Todd » Thu, 21 Nov 2002 02:25:42

I seem to be having a similar problem, see my recent post, subject "can't
uninstall anything"

The difference is that I haven't installed sp3 on this machine and I don't
get the popup error that you describe.
I'm going to try the procedure in the article you mentioned and see where
that gets me.

Todd

Quote:> When I open the add/remove programs applet, I get the following popup
> message:

> An unexpected error occurred. Class not registered
> res://appwiz.cpl/listbox.htc
> Line:225

> At the top of the add/remove window, it states that:
> "There are no programs installed on this computer."

> When I scroll down, I can see all of the installed apps but the options to
> change and remove are grayed out.

> I have tried registering the appwiz.cpl using the following command:
> REGSVR32 appwiz.cpl
> This reports as successfully regsitering the component but no change in
the
> add/remove programs.

> I have also tried all of the steps listed on Q266668 which doesn't seem to
> be available any longer but google had a cached copy.

> At first I thought the problem was caused by NAV Corporate Edition 7.6 but
> have tried stopping the NAV client before applying SP3 and get the same
> result. I have tried installing from the command line using update.exe and
> via group policy using update.msi. With very few exceptions, the
add/remove
> programs icon is broken after the SP3 install on our Windows 2000 Pro
> machines.

> Has anyone experienced this problem?

> Thanks in advance,
> Jim

1. add/remove programs doesn't work after sp3

Ok, I've got my computer working correctly now. I followed article q266668
and added back in a missing key.

In my case the missing key was
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{00000535-0000-0010-8000-00AA006D2EA4}

Also I added
(default) = ADODB.Recordset

\InprocServer32    "ThreadingModel"="Apartment"

\ProgID     (default) = "ADODB.Recordset.2"

\VersionIndependentProgID    (default) = "ADODB.Recordset"

I also added the following entry which wasn't in the instructions but
appeared to match similar entries.

\InProcServer32 (default) = "c:\program files\common
files\system\ado\msado15.dll"

Hope this helps,
Todd

2. Marconi v2.0b Newsgroups Off-Line reader

3. Add/Remove programs applet doesn't work

4. offset GPS/PPS -- I don't feel this

5. Add/Remove Programs doesn't work

6. bBrowserized DataCombobox available

7. Add/Remove Programs icon doesn't work

8. Copyright on CBM games?

9. Add/Remove programs icon doesn't work

10. "Add/Remove Programs" doesn't work

11. Add and remove programs icon doesn't work

12. Add/Remove Programs doesn't work.

13. "Add/Remove Programs" doesn't work