Controller or disk error in Win2000. How to be sure?

Controller or disk error in Win2000. How to be sure?

Post by Claudio A. Heckle » Tue, 21 Jan 2003 07:49:56

From some time now I'm getting error messages on the Event Log about my
disks. I'm not really sure if what I got is a controller problem or a disk
problem (or a "on-disk" controller board failing)

The error logs I get are as follow (listed in no particular order)

Source:disk - The driver detected a controller error on
\Device\Harddisk0\DR0.

Source:atapi - A parity error was detected on \Device\Ide\IdePort0.

Source:disk - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 during a
paging operation.

Source:atapi - The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort0, did not respond within the
timeout period.

Source:disk - The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block.

Note about the "bad block" message: I've got several of those at one time,
and disk access was a real pain at that particular time. A simple restart
cleared things, and that's making me suspect of the controller.

Now for the question:

- What does this looks like? Motherboard controller failure? Disk failure?

- How should I go about testing this? The simple "check disk" tool in
Windows 2000 did not found anything wrong with the disks.

Thanks in advance,

Claudio A. Heckler

Controller or disk error in Win2000. How to be sure?

Post by the_gnom » Tue, 21 Jan 2003 08:05:41

I was getting the timeout error on a 3 month old HDD and other symptoms were
that the machine froze during prolonged disk activity, making me think I had
a virus or trojan or something.

Anyway, 3 month later HDD failed its SMART and had to be replaced.

So I would suggest possible disk failure. Try the check disk, using the
thorough scan option, and back up critical data now.

the_gnome

Quote:> From some time now I'm getting error messages on the Event Log about my
> disks. I'm not really sure if what I got is a controller problem or a disk
> problem (or a "on-disk" controller board failing)

> The error logs I get are as follow (listed in no particular order)

> Source:disk - The driver detected a controller error on
> \Device\Harddisk0\DR0.

> Source:atapi - A parity error was detected on \Device\Ide\IdePort0.

> Source:disk - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 during
> paging operation.

> Source:atapi - The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort0, did not respond within
the
> timeout period.

> Source:disk - The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block.

> Note about the "bad block" message: I've got several of those at one time,
> and disk access was a real pain at that particular time. A simple restart
> cleared things, and that's making me suspect of the controller.

> Now for the question:

> - What does this looks like? Motherboard controller failure? Disk failure?

> - How should I go about testing this? The simple "check disk" tool in
> Windows 2000 did not found anything wrong with the disks.

> Thanks in advance,

> Claudio A. Heckler

Controller or disk error in Win2000. How to be sure?

Post by Big Daddy Ji » Tue, 21 Jan 2003 12:28:06

I'd do a "chkdsk c: /f " from the CMD prompt to do a check for bad sectors.

--
Regards,

BigDaddyJim, A+, Windows 2000 MCP

Quote:> From some time now I'm getting error messages on the Event Log about my
> disks. I'm not really sure if what I got is a controller problem or a disk
> problem (or a "on-disk" controller board failing)

> The error logs I get are as follow (listed in no particular order)

> Source:disk - The driver detected a controller error on
> \Device\Harddisk0\DR0.

> Source:atapi - A parity error was detected on \Device\Ide\IdePort0.

> Source:disk - An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\DR0 during
> paging operation.

> Source:atapi - The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort0, did not respond within
the
> timeout period.

> Source:disk - The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block.

> Note about the "bad block" message: I've got several of those at one time,
> and disk access was a real pain at that particular time. A simple restart
> cleared things, and that's making me suspect of the controller.

> Now for the question:

> - What does this looks like? Motherboard controller failure? Disk failure?

> - How should I go about testing this? The simple "check disk" tool in
> Windows 2000 did not found anything wrong with the disks.

> Thanks in advance,

> Claudio A. Heckler

Controller or disk error in Win2000. How to be sure?

Post by Claudio A. Heckle » Sat, 01 Feb 2003 01:34:18

Just to update the thread:

I swapped the IDE controllers, ie, moved the two disks for secondary and the
DVD-ROM to the primmary, and so far not a single error poped-up in the event
log.

My conclusion: there may be an issue with the primary on-board controller.
However, I tried copying large files from the DVD-ROM (now on primary) and
it worked fine, no error logs, MD5 sums ok.

Just FYI.

Thanks,

Claudio