RAS/RRAS/NAT?

Post by CBP » Fri, 28 Mar 2003 00:43:12

What service/is there a service that will allow the
following situation to work:

Multiple clients are on a LAN.  All devices are running
TCP/IP.  There is a Windows 2000 Advanced Server running.
It has a modem connected to it.

What I would like to do is have the modem dial out to our
ISP, and allow the clients to route traffic out to the
Internet thru the server.  Currently we use non-routable
IP addresses internally (192.168 addresses), if this makes
a difference.

Is this RRAS, RAS, NAT, or ICS?

I've only got one server, so I'd need to find a way to do
this with just that one server.

What's it take to get this sort of thing going?

thanks,
Chris

RAS/RRAS/NAT?

Post by news » Fri, 28 Mar 2003 02:25:45

In Windows 2000, go to administrative tools and select "routing and remote
access" (RRAS),  right click on your server icon in this windows and select
"configure routing and remote access" A wizard will pop up asking what you
want to do. Select the first option which is to configure an "Internet
Connection Server", and follow the rest of the wizard. When this is done,
all computers needing a connection to the internet will go through the
server, if the server is not connected, it will dial you isp. Multiple users
can use the internet at the same time. Make sure all the workstations have
their gateway's set to the IP address of the server.

Quote:> What service/is there a service that will allow the
> following situation to work:

> Multiple clients are on a LAN.  All devices are running
> TCP/IP.  There is a Windows 2000 Advanced Server running.
> It has a modem connected to it.

> What I would like to do is have the modem dial out to our
> ISP, and allow the clients to route traffic out to the
> Internet thru the server.  Currently we use non-routable
> IP addresses internally (192.168 addresses), if this makes
> a difference.

> Is this RRAS, RAS, NAT, or ICS?

> I've only got one server, so I'd need to find a way to do
> this with just that one server.

> What's it take to get this sort of thing going?

> thanks,
> Chris

1. RRAS NAT on the same machine with dial in RAS clients

I am trying to implement a Win2K RRAS. server which is connected to the
Internet via an ADSL internal modem. This same machine is running WinRoute
which is a flavour of NAT. The connection is shared on the internal LAN
using WinRoute which is a flavour of NAT.

This server is also obviously equipped with a network card.

The server is configured for RAS dial in via an external modem.

Clients can now successfully dial in to the server, be authenticated, and
can access resources and see all machines on the internal LAN.

However, the final stage so far eludes me. I would like the dial in clients
to be able to also access the Internet. This I have not been able to do.

I can however do it quite easily with NT 4 so clearly, there must be some
small setting which I missing in Windows 2000

I have seen, what I believed to the answer to my problem in the Microsoft
knowledge-based article Q 253145 "RAS clients cannot gain access to the
Internet using network address translation", however even after reading that
article, I am still unable to reach the Internet from the dial in client.

Setup as follows:

Win2K server RRAS configured and running. Static IP pool for dial in clients
192.168.0.209-212

I noticed that when the dial in clients machine connects to the server, it
receives the IP address of 192.168.0.210 which is what I would expect.

When I check the IP address of the server, I see that it has been given
itself the IP address of 192.168.0.210 which again is what I would expect.

However, on further inspection of the dial in clients IP configurations, I
see that it is not using any default gateway. Surely, it should show the
default gateway to be the IP address of the server mainly 192.168.00.209 or
possibly 192.168.0.207?

I have seen several postings on the newsgroups where folks are having pretty
well exactly the same problem with Win2K as myself and I wonder if there is
somebody out the that can really explain the solution.

I am certain that Win2K running as a routine and remote access server can
handle this operation. When I make the connection on the dial in clients
machine by using the Wizard under make a new connection and selecting "I am
dialling into a private network" I do not check the IP address all DNS
settings. I have tried both checking "use a default gateway on the remote
network" and not checking it.

When I check it and dial in, the ipconfig/all command shows the DG to be
192.168.0.212 and not the IP address of the RRAS server RAS pool interface
i.e 192.168.0.209.

Any help pls from some experts to finally solve this problem.

2. mail doesn't deliver

3. RRAS NAT RAS Clients Internet Access - Q253145

4. Falcon 4 Sale Holland

5. Routing on WKS, SRV/RAS, SRV/RRAS, W2K/RRAS ????

6. SharePoint Position in AZ

7. NAT EDITOR for LDAP on Windows 2000 NAT (RRAS)

8. OT: antivirus recommendations...

9. NAT + win2k server + RAS (excluding certain public IPs from NAT-ing)

10. using NAT (how to select which IP address to NAT and not to NAT)

11. RAS RAS RAS "HeLpPlizzz"

12. NAT and ISDN ports...no option to let dial-in RAS users NAT to the local subet of RAS server