cannot run defrag-weird message

Post by Nanett » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 19:32:41

I tried running defrag and received the following message:

Disk deframenter cannot continue prescan due to corruption
in file:  \\?volume{odbaceal-d1f-11d5-8189-806d6172696f}
\winnt\security

I run Windows2000 Pro on a home computer (Compaq deskpro
Wrokstation) with no additonal computers networked to it.
When I tried to run chkdsk from the dos prompt, I received
the folloiwng error message:

Folder \winnt\security is entirely unreadable

I tried running chkdsk/f and could not do this.

Any suggestions?

cannot run defrag-weird message

Post by Karl Levinson [x y] mv » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 22:19:16

CHKDSK /F is indeed the thing I would try to get working to fix the defrag
problem.   What's the full message you get when trying to do CHKDSK /F ?

"Entirely unreadable?"  Are you sure that's the word for word message?  That
doesn't sound like any error message I've heard before.

Quote:> I tried running defrag and received the following message:

> Disk deframenter cannot continue prescan due to corruption
> in file:  \\?volume{odbaceal-d1f-11d5-8189-806d6172696f}
> \winnt\security

> I run Windows2000 Pro on a home computer (Compaq deskpro
> Wrokstation) with no additonal computers networked to it.
> When I tried to run chkdsk from the dos prompt, I received
> the folloiwng error message:

> Folder \winnt\security is entirely unreadable

> I tried running chkdsk/f and could not do this.

> Any suggestions?

---

cannot run defrag-weird message

Post by Nanett » Fri, 31 Jan 2003 02:47:21

Exact wording is as follows:\

CHKDSK--Windows found errors on the disk, but will not fix
them because the disk checking was run without the /F
(fix) parameter.  folder /WINNT/security is entirely
unreadable.  Folder entry removed.  FIle and folder
verification is complete.

CHKDSK/F--The thpe of file system is FAT 32.
CHKDSK cannot run because the volume is in use by another
process.  would you like to schedule this volume to be
checked next time the system restarts?(y or n)

Said N to the statement.
Thanks.
Nanette

Quote:>-----Original Message-----