How to create a registry key using admin templates??

How to create a registry key using admin templates??

Post by Neil Rusto » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 17:49:22

I have used admin templates extensively to extend the
functionality provided by GPOs.

However, I now need to create a key (with no values within
it).

Specifically, I need to create key:
System\CurrentControlSet\Control\LSA\NoLMHash

to prevent the creation of weak LMhashes in the AD
database, (upon next password change).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Neil
PS I know this policy is exposed by w2003, but I need to
make the change in a purely w2k environment.

How to create a registry key using admin templates??

Post by Niels van Drimmele » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 06:20:51

We set this particular option in the Security Options part of a GPO... to do
that in a w2k environment, you should customize the
c:\winnt\inf\sceregvl.inf file...

See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb%3Ben-us%3B214752 for
details...

BTW also check the Win2k,XP en 2003 security/hardening guides....

Niels

Quote:> I have used admin templates extensively to extend the
> functionality provided by GPOs.

> However, I now need to create a key (with no values within
> it).

> Specifically, I need to create key:
> System\CurrentControlSet\Control\LSA\NoLMHash

> to prevent the creation of weak LMhashes in the AD
> database, (upon next password change).

> Any ideas?

> Thanks,
> Neil
> PS I know this policy is exposed by w2003, but I need to
> make the change in a purely w2k environment.

1. Using admin templates to create new registry keys

I have used admin templates extensively to extend the
functionality provided by GPOs.

However, I now need to create a key (with no values within
it).

Specifically, I need to create key:
System\CurrentControlSet\Control\LSA\NoLMHash

to prevent the creation of weak LMhashes in the AD
database, (upon next password change).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Neil
PS I know this policy is exposed by w2003, but I need to
make the change in a purely w2k environment.

2. Mars Exploration Rovers Update - May 21, 2003

3. When new registry keys are created what is used as the template for security

4. Running VxWorks Out Of Prom

5. Using Notepad To Add Registry Key/Value Pairs To Security Template .inf Files

6. CD/R Labels...We have them

7. Deleteing Registry key creates \Registry Backup

8. J. of Computer Game Design

9. Registry key template

10. Create new users, using a template

11. Which registry key to enable Screen Saver and Background for Windows 2000?, pcumming screensaver registry key

12. Registry based policies/preferences; Security Templates vs. Administrative Templates

13. create key without admin rights