w2000 won't start - "kmode_exception_not_handled" in "ntoskrnl.exe"

w2000 won't start - "kmode_exception_not_handled" in "ntoskrnl.exe"

Post by Zoran Panti » Thu, 26 Jul 2001 00:27:18

Hi All,

After I installed a piece of a program (Adaptec's Easy CD Creator Lite),
windows 2000 pro on a workstation wouldn't start. After initial starting
screen I get:

"kmode_exception_not_handled"            and it is mentioning
"ntoskrnl.exe"

I tried starting it in a Safe Mode, but it ends the same. Additionaly I
tried to repair it from ERD, and even repairing it with installation CD rom,
but no success.

I would suppose that program has installed a driver that is not supported by
CD burner, or something like that. How I disable that driver / uninstall the
program?

Thanx in advance,

                           Zoran

w2000 won't start - "kmode_exception_not_handled" in "ntoskrnl.exe"

Post by Zoran Panti » Thu, 26 Jul 2001 00:42:40

I tried to restart computer in Safe Mode but without network - and that is
posssible. So I uninstalled the problem-making program, but when I try to
start the computer normal way, it gets stuck again with the same message.

I forgot to say that I started installation from the network - to be
precise, I copied the installation from CD to the server, and then started
installation from there. It all went fine until installation asked me to
restart the computer - could it be that now the installation process tries
to take some additional files from the network, but can't?

I must add that I installed the same program on the other computer (directly
from the CD) and there were no problems....

w2000 won't start - "kmode_exception_not_handled" in "ntoskrnl.exe"

Post by Zoran Panti » Thu, 26 Jul 2001 01:45:43

It was drivers that made all this fuss.

First I thought it was a service - I went through the list disabling the
suspicious ones, but no help.
Then I wrote down the name of the files that are reffered to as being
"possibly shared and not recommended for removal" in the process of
uninstallation of the troublemaking program. Then I renamed two suspicious
files (one .sys and one .dll), and machine started as normal!
Now I understand that 3rd partys things can cause a trouble, but Adaptec's
software? Well, maybe the program was not compatibile with HP writer?
========
Anyways, my question is: how would one (in future) find out what drivers are
causing the trouble? Let's say that I came to this machine not knowing what
caused the trouble - how would I determine what driver is makin' the
trouble? Would those funny numbers after STOP statement on blue screen be a
guide to those files? Where could one find the "scheme" which would de-crypt
those numbers?
========
Thanx in advance,

                          Zoran

w2000 won't start - "kmode_exception_not_handled" in "ntoskrnl.exe"

Post by Gary B » Thu, 26 Jul 2001 06:23:00

I have heard that certain versions of the Adaptec EasyCD program are
incompatible with Win2k.  However, the version that came with my Iomega USB
CD-RW works fine.

Quote:> It was drivers that made all this fuss.