Cluster Error On Node 2 - Cluster Error.PNG [0/5]

Cluster Error On Node 2 - Cluster Error.PNG [0/5]

Post by Paal A. Gunderse » Wed, 16 Oct 2002 21:14:10

Hi,

This is my first try on installing clustering and I have a little
problem.

I have sucsessfully installed the first node and I'm about to install
the
cluster service on the second node. The Cluster Configuration wizard
starts
OK. It asks me which cluster I want to join, I leave log on as
unchecked,
and on the next screen the it asks med for the password to the cluster
account I created. I type in the password, and the an error pops up (se
attached picture)

I am running the cluster on HP LC2000 and I'm using local quorum.

Thanks for your help :D

Paal Gundersen

Cluster Error On Node 2 - Cluster Error.PNG [0/5]

Post by mike » Thu, 17 Oct 2002 05:56:43

Hey Paal,

I recently installed Cluster on 2 Dell servers connected
to a common external storage unit. From my understanding
in order for the Cluster to work on both servers they
have to have access to the quorum. If it is installed
locally on node1 then node2 will not be able to access
the quorum drive. We set up the quorum drive as Q: and it
was part of the drives set up on the external storage
unit configured in RAID 5.
The quorum is where the cluster maintains its
configurations.
Let me know if this helps you out any. As I said I am
pretty new to the Cluster service as well.

Mike

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi,

>This is my first try on installing clustering and I have
a little
>problem.

>I have sucsessfully installed the first node and I'm
about to install
>the
>cluster service on the second node. The Cluster

Configuration wizard
Quote:>starts
>OK. It asks me which cluster I want to join, I leave log
on as
>unchecked,
>and on the next screen the it asks med for the password
to the cluster
>account I created. I type in the password, and the an
error pops up (se
>attached picture)

>I am running the cluster on HP LC2000 and I'm using
local quorum.

>Thanks for your help :D

>Paal Gundersen
>.

Cluster Error On Node 2 - Cluster Error.PNG [0/5]

Post by Paal Gunderse » Thu, 17 Oct 2002 14:25:37

Mike,

I'll try your suggestion, and I'll keep you posted.

Thanks

Paal

Quote:> Hey Paal,

> I recently installed Cluster on 2 Dell servers connected
> to a common external storage unit. From my understanding
> in order for the Cluster to work on both servers they
> have to have access to the quorum. If it is installed
> locally on node1 then node2 will not be able to access
> the quorum drive. We set up the quorum drive as Q: and it
> was part of the drives set up on the external storage
> unit configured in RAID 5.
> The quorum is where the cluster maintains its
> configurations.
> Let me know if this helps you out any. As I said I am
> pretty new to the Cluster service as well.

> Mike

Post by Paal Gunderse » Thu, 17 Oct 2002 16:37:27

Mike,

Hmm...Im a little confused, Could you tell me how to set up the quorum
drive? I have a HP NetRAID-1si raid controller and I'm beginning to suspect
that clustering won't work with this controller.

Thanks for your answer.

Regards
Paal

Quote:> Hey Paal,

> I recently installed Cluster on 2 Dell servers connected
> to a common external storage unit. From my understanding
> in order for the Cluster to work on both servers they
> have to have access to the quorum. If it is installed
> locally on node1 then node2 will not be able to access
> the quorum drive. We set up the quorum drive as Q: and it
> was part of the drives set up on the external storage
> unit configured in RAID 5.
> The quorum is where the cluster maintains its
> configurations.
> Let me know if this helps you out any. As I said I am
> pretty new to the Cluster service as well.

> Mike

Post by Ralf Huelsman » Thu, 17 Oct 2002 19:35:44

have a look in the clustering hcl (hardware compatibility list) on
microsofts pages..

> Mike,

> Hmm...Im a little confused, Could you tell me how to set up the quorum
> drive? I have a HP NetRAID-1si raid controller and I'm beginning to
suspect
> that clustering won't work with this controller.

> Thanks for your answer.

> Regards
> Paal

> > Hey Paal,

> > I recently installed Cluster on 2 Dell servers connected
> > to a common external storage unit. From my understanding
> > in order for the Cluster to work on both servers they
> > have to have access to the quorum. If it is installed
> > locally on node1 then node2 will not be able to access
> > the quorum drive. We set up the quorum drive as Q: and it
> > was part of the drives set up on the external storage
> > unit configured in RAID 5.
> > The quorum is where the cluster maintains its
> > configurations.
> > Let me know if this helps you out any. As I said I am
> > pretty new to the Cluster service as well.

> > Mike

Post by Chris Whitaker [MS » Wed, 23 Oct 2002 15:10:34

Looks like there's a couple of separate things here

Firstly, local quorum is a quorum mechanism that is designed for test
environments or for development environments. You cannot create a cluster of
more than 1 node with local quorum. That I beleive is the issue you are
seeing with adding the second node.

In terms of the storage, a server cluster (MSCS cluster) needs to have a set
of external drives on a shared storage bus. The shared drives must be on a
different storage controller (SCSI card or Fiber channel HBA) to the system
disk, pagefile disk or boot disk. In addition, the complete solution has to
be on the cluster HCL (referenced in the previous reply). The NetRAID 1si
controller does not appear in any of the configurations on the HCL.

--
Chris Whitaker
Lead Program Manager

You assume all risk for your use.
? 2001 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

> have a look in the clustering hcl (hardware compatibility list) on
> microsofts pages..

> > Mike,

> > Hmm...Im a little confused, Could you tell me how to set up the quorum
> > drive? I have a HP NetRAID-1si raid controller and I'm beginning to
> suspect
> > that clustering won't work with this controller.

> > Thanks for your answer.

> > Regards
> > Paal

> > > Hey Paal,

> > > I recently installed Cluster on 2 Dell servers connected
> > > to a common external storage unit. From my understanding
> > > in order for the Cluster to work on both servers they
> > > have to have access to the quorum. If it is installed
> > > locally on node1 then node2 will not be able to access
> > > the quorum drive. We set up the quorum drive as Q: and it
> > > was part of the drives set up on the external storage
> > > unit configured in RAID 5.
> > > The quorum is where the cluster maintains its
> > > configurations.
> > > Let me know if this helps you out any. As I said I am
> > > pretty new to the Cluster service as well.

> > > Mike

1. clustered node fail to boot up while another node is running Cluster Service

I set up two computers for Clustering an application.
I install primary Active Direcotry on first node and
backup Active Directory on second node. These two nodes
are connected to an external SCSI harddisk. I don't have
external SCSI termninator, so I use ther internal
terminator in Host Adaptor (set termination to Automatic):

FirstNode ---- SCSI Harddisk --- SecondNode

I disable the "write cache" , "send start unit command"
and "reset SCSI bus" options of my two Adaptec 2950 UW
SCSI host adapter.

I have installed the Cluster successfully and the standby
server(say, server 1) will failover once the active server
(say, server 2)is down. However, server 2 will fail to
boot up. It will supspend just before the "Starting"
windows boot up screen is shown. And If I stop the cluster
service in server 1, server 2 will resume the booting
immediately.

Anybody can help me? what's wrong with my configurations ?
or I need to install external SCSI terminators ?

Thanks in advance

Ben

2. Loop query

3. clustered node fail to boot up while another node is running Cluster

4. Can't print from Acrobat Reader 4.05

5. Cluster services on secobdry node of my cluster service has stopped

6. Unix - Frequently Asked Questions (Contents) [Frequent posting]

7. Cluster (MSCS) - Node failing to join cluster

8. Win95 Network troubleshooting

9. DCOM error, cluster node failed

10. RPC error after a failover of a 2 node cluster

11. W2K ADV SRV 2-Node Cluster Hang/Lockup no errors.....help.

12. Cluster 2nd node installation error

13. Active Directory on 2-node Cluster