W2K and WXP drivers

Post by Bobb » Thu, 05 Apr 2001 18:36:53

Are W2K drivers compatible with Windows XP? Can I use my drivers under this
new OS or is there a new driver model?

W2K and WXP drivers

Post by Microsoft MV » Fri, 06 Apr 2001 02:34:43

Hi, some drivers will work and same won't as with any upgrade with one
product line. To be sure you need to take Windows XP and simply try the
drivers.

Quote:> Are W2K drivers compatible with Windows XP? Can I use my drivers under
this
> new OS or is there a new driver model?

W2K and WXP drivers

Post by Bobb » Fri, 06 Apr 2001 06:56:47

Can someone who has actually used the product tell me the range of drivers
provided (for example, are the major products supported) and will OEM
drivers work or must the drivers be written explicity for XP?

> Hi, some drivers will work and same won't as with any upgrade with one
> product line. To be sure you need to take Windows XP and simply try the
> drivers.

> > Are W2K drivers compatible with Windows XP? Can I use my drivers under
> this
> > new OS or is there a new driver model?

W2K and WXP drivers

Post by Microsoft MV » Sat, 07 Apr 2001 02:39:57

The final list is NOT ready. When it'll be ready, it will be available
through www.microsoft.com/hcl

Please note, you are asking about the product that is now closed for public.

> Can someone who has actually used the product tell me the range of drivers
> provided (for example, are the major products supported) and will OEM
> drivers work or must the drivers be written explicity for XP?

> > Hi, some drivers will work and same won't as with any upgrade with one
> > product line. To be sure you need to take Windows XP and simply try the
> > drivers.

> > > Are W2K drivers compatible with Windows XP? Can I use my drivers under
> > this
> > > new OS or is there a new driver model?

W2K and WXP drivers

Post by Stuar » Wed, 11 Apr 2001 22:34:13

As I understand it all certified WDM drivers will work.

--
Stuart
(No email enquiries or responses please)

> The final list is NOT ready. When it'll be ready, it will be available
> through www.microsoft.com/hcl

> Please note, you are asking about the product that is now closed for
public.

> > Can someone who has actually used the product tell me the range of
drivers
> > provided (for example, are the major products supported) and will OEM
> > drivers work or must the drivers be written explicity for XP?

> > > Hi, some drivers will work and same won't as with any upgrade with one
> > > product line. To be sure you need to take Windows XP and simply try
the
> > > drivers.

> > > this

W2K and WXP drivers

Post by Microsoft MV » Thu, 12 Apr 2001 04:49:48

Not all certified for Win2k as some drivers will require an update. Anyway
most will work I think

> As I understand it all certified WDM drivers will work.

> --
> Stuart
> (No email enquiries or responses please)

> > The final list is NOT ready. When it'll be ready, it will be available
> > through www.microsoft.com/hcl

> > Please note, you are asking about the product that is now closed for
> public.

> > > Can someone who has actually used the product tell me the range of
> drivers
> > > provided (for example, are the major products supported) and will OEM
> > > drivers work or must the drivers be written explicity for XP?

> the

> under

1. Interesting article on WXP vs W2K

Interesting reading:

http://www.infoworld.com/articles/tc/xml/01/10/29/011029tcwinxp.xml

I am currently using WXP Pro and Office XP on a dual PIII933 system with
512MB RDRAM and two SCSI 160MB 18GB 15K Seagate HD's, which, in my
experience outperforms my previous W2K Pro and Office XP.

Other information together with my own experience tells me that WXP and
Office XP works much better when using a dual CPU setup together with RDRAM
and fast SCSI HDs. I did install WXP Pro on a PIII733 with 512 SDRAM and a
IDE 7.2K HD with Office 2000, and the slow down was noticeable; I decided to
continue using W2K Pro on this system.

I am currently considering upgrading to dual P4 Xeon 1.7GHz maintaining
512MB RDRAM memory and the 160MB 15K HD's. I think this setup has the
potential to really make the best out of WXP Pro and Office XP.

My general experience is that a balanced system works much better than a
maximized CPU, slow memory and a slow HD. The HD's which come with most
systems are not balanced vis-a-vis the CPU and in some cases, not balanced
with the correct memory bank. Again, in my experience; it does not make
sense to optimize the CPU with slow memory and a slow access time on the HD.

After building my own PCs, I found the following principles to be true to
get a reliable and fast machine:

a) Dual CPU setup
b) RDRAM memory, 512 minimum
c) Two 160MB SCSI HDs with fast access, 10-15K
d) High quality Mother Board
e) Dual monitor setup with the primary card in the AGP slot and the
secondary in the 1st PCI slot
f) Optimized UI

A balanced system is often overlooked by the general vendors, they tend to
"sell" the CPU speed, which one really cannot utilise due to slow and low
quality components elsewhere in the system. This fact together with a
"sophisticated" and overloaded UI does not make it any better.

Following the principles above making sure you obtain high quality
components does tend to make a self-built system more expensive than a
ready-made system. For any mission critical system it is surely worth it.

Thoughts/comments?

PAC

2. Calculating Probability of Success

3. Triple boot W2K/W98/WXP, how?

4. 800-Number Pitfall

5. W2K Group Policies for WXP Pro

6. spreadsheet array testing

7. all devices like one IRQ on w2k but not on wxp :)

8. Upgrade question

9. WME, W2K, WXP Network issues

10. W2K SP3 and WXP SP1 webview

11. W2K Pro vs. WXP Pro