Win2K + IE5.0 + Cable Modem... not finding network connection when start IE5

Win2K + IE5.0 + Cable Modem... not finding network connection when start IE5

Post by Gary Watso » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 03:22:03

I used to have Win98, with IE5.0, and my trusty cable modem.
When I started IE, it connected to the Internet, and all was well.

Now I have installed Win2K. Nothing else has changed.
When I start IE after a boot-up, it gives me a popup saying it cannot find the network connection, would I like to work Offline, or Re-try.
I click Re-try, and presto... it connects and all is OK.

This is really just an annoyance... but what do I do to stop it from happening?

Thanks for any help

Post by 100% Recycle » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 18:06:00

> ------=_NextPart_000_0033_01C017F4.AEA4D130

> I used to have Win98, with IE5.0, and my trusty cable modem.
> When I started IE, it connected to the Internet, and all was well.

> Now I have installed Win2K. Nothing else has changed.
> When I start IE after a boot-up, it gives me a popup saying it cannot
> =
> find the network connection, would I like to work Offline, or Re-try.
> I click Re-try, and presto... it connects and all is OK.

> This is really just an annoyance... but what do I do to stop it from =
> happening?

> Thanks for any help

Windows 2000 keeps ports 80 and 81 closed until they are called for. So
after rebooting or after the ports have been idle for awhile they are
closed and you get that pop-up message. It is part of network security
and a pretty good idea as it prevents access to the ports from the
outside while they are idle. So, don't take the message personally. It's
just one extra click from time to time, afterall.

                100% Recycled
--
Visit my website at: http://members.home.com/datapoint.com

Posted using PineappleNews for BeOS

Win2K + IE5.0 + Cable Modem... not finding network connection when start IE5

Post by Dave Haan » Sat, 09 Sep 2000 05:26:22

Shutting down these ports would normally be a good idea, but it's pretty
useless and just plain annoying if you already have a firewall.

Is there any way to disable this 'feature'?

Cheers,

Dave.

> > I used to have Win98, with IE5.0, and my trusty cable modem.
> > When I started IE, it connected to the Internet, and all was well.

> > Now I have installed Win2K. Nothing else has changed.
> > When I start IE after a boot-up, it gives me a popup saying it cannot
> > find the network connection, would I like to work Offline, or Re-try.
> > I click Re-try, and presto... it connects and all is OK.

> > This is really just an annoyance... but what do I do to stop it from =
> > happening?

> > Thanks for any help

> Windows 2000 keeps ports 80 and 81 closed until they are called for. So
> after rebooting or after the ports have been idle for awhile they are
> closed and you get that pop-up message. It is part of network security
> and a pretty good idea as it prevents access to the ports from the
> outside while they are idle. So, don't take the message personally. It's
> just one extra click from time to time, afterall.

>                 100% Recycled
> --
> Visit my website at: http://members.home.com/datapoint.com

> Posted using PineappleNews for BeOS

Win2K + IE5.0 + Cable Modem... not finding network connection when start IE5

Post by Gary Watso » Sat, 09 Sep 2000 05:39:46

Well, the ports closing after no activity is a prettty good idea..... even if you have a firewall.
But this doesn't seem to be my problem.....

I bootup.
I immediately start IE5.
It gives me the message about unable to connect to the network... Work offline, or Re-try?
I respond re-try.... it works fine.

I shut down IE, and any other apps which use the network.
I leave the computer running but doing nothing for an hour or more. It goes into "sleep" mode.

I move the mouse to take it out of "sleep" mode.
I start IE5.... it connects just fine... no message.

So I don't think it is the closing of the ports which is causing this message to be generated.

Somehow I think it has to do with the Win2K boot-up.

Any more thoughts?????

Post by don lebo » Sat, 09 Sep 2000 16:10:49

Quote:Gary Watson writes:
>Well, the ports closing after no activity is a prettty good idea..... even if you have a firewall.
>But this doesn't seem to be my problem.....

>I bootup.
>I immediately start IE5.
>It gives me the message about unable to connect to the network... Work offline, or Re-try?
>I respond re-try.... it works fine.

>I shut down IE, and any other apps which use the network.
>I leave the computer running but doing nothing for an hour or more. It goes into "sleep" mode.

>I move the mouse to take it out of "sleep" mode.
>I start IE5.... it connects just fine... no message.

>So I don't think it is the closing of the ports which is causing this message to be generated.

>Somehow I think it has to do with the Win2K boot-up.

>Any more thoughts?????

Off the wall, but just for grins, try running through the Internet Connection
Wizard. Tell it you connect via LAN, etc. I was seeing the same thing on my
latest install, and this cleared it right up.

I know you shouldn't HAVE to, but these are computers after all <g>

 --
  don
  MVP (DTS)

(please followup to the group .. thanks!)

Win2K + IE5.0 + Cable Modem... not finding network connection when start IE5

Post by Gordon Whit » Sat, 16 Sep 2000 04:00:00

Would manually putting in the Proxy server address, instead of "detect proxy
settings"
fix this?

> > ------=_NextPart_000_0033_01C017F4.AEA4D130

> > I used to have Win98, with IE5.0, and my trusty cable modem.
> > When I started IE, it connected to the Internet, and all was well.

> > Now I have installed Win2K. Nothing else has changed.
> > When I start IE after a boot-up, it gives me a popup saying it cannot
> > =
> > find the network connection, would I like to work Offline, or Re-try.
> > I click Re-try, and presto... it connects and all is OK.

> > This is really just an annoyance... but what do I do to stop it from =
> > happening?

> > Thanks for any help

> Windows 2000 keeps ports 80 and 81 closed until they are called for. So
> after rebooting or after the ports have been idle for awhile they are
> closed and you get that pop-up message. It is part of network security
> and a pretty good idea as it prevents access to the ports from the
> outside while they are idle. So, don't take the message personally. It's
> just one extra click from time to time, afterall.

>                 100% Recycled
> --
> Visit my website at: http://members.home.com/datapoint.com

> Posted using PineappleNews for BeOS

1. Win2K and IE5.0 and Cable Modem... not finding network connection when start IE5

I used to have Win98, with IE5.0, and my trusty cable modem.
When I started IE, it connected to the Internet, and all was well.

Now I have installed Win2K. Nothing else has changed.
When I start IE after a boot-up, it gives me a popup saying it cannot find the network connection, would I like to work Offline, or Re-try.
I click Re-try, and presto... it connects and all is OK.

This is really just an annoyance... but what do I do to stop it from happening?

Thanks for any help

2. Proper ZIP drive settings?

3. When is IE5 not IE5 and how do I make it IE5?

4. Pstricks and arrows

5. Is IE5.5 as good as IE5.0?

6. extract attachments

7. IE5 > IE5.5?

8. 2 diffrent tcp/ip configs on the same NIC?

9. B3's IE5 = Final Release's IE5?

10. BUG: SSL certificate for *.sub.domain.com in IE5.0 and IE5.5

11. ie5 vs. ie5.5 on w2k SP1?

12. IE4 power toys for IE5, vs IE5 Web Accessories

13. Powertoys for IE5, TweakIE 2.1, Web Accessories, Scanregw Updated for IE5