Newbie help with Proxy? Server

Newbie help with Proxy? Server

Post by Kim We » Fri, 14 Feb 2003 06:08:56



I have a Windows 2000 server and want to use it only for web access
for our 10 people here in the office.  My goal to setup the ten XP
workstations to point to this server for internet access.  Other than
internet access, web surfing they would not need to so anything else
on this server.  Here are my questions:

1.  Do I have to create 10 users?
2.  Do I have to install something besides the Windows 2000 server?
Like Proxy?
3.  Are their non-microsoft simpler solutions to what I want to do?

Thanks.

 
 
 

Newbie help with Proxy? Server

Post by Mark Mancin » Fri, 14 Feb 2003 12:49:34


just get a router!  Netopia is what  I like, but Linksys works to.  No need
for a server.

--
Sincerely,
Mark Mancini, CCA, CCNA, Master CIW&CI, CNE 4&5, MCSE+I 4&2000
www.MCSE2000.com
www.AppLauncher.com


Quote:> I have a Windows 2000 server and want to use it only for web access
> for our 10 people here in the office.  My goal to setup the ten XP
> workstations to point to this server for internet access.  Other than
> internet access, web surfing they would not need to so anything else
> on this server.  Here are my questions:

> 1.  Do I have to create 10 users?
> 2.  Do I have to install something besides the Windows 2000 server?
> Like Proxy?
> 3.  Are their non-microsoft simpler solutions to what I want to do?

> Thanks.


 
 
 

Newbie help with Proxy? Server

Post by Kim We » Sat, 15 Feb 2003 00:33:48


I have a cisco 2600 router but I want to be able to track what web
sites the users access and block file sharing ports, etc.  I know I
CAN do it with the cisco but I want to use the Windows 2000 server if
I can.  Thanks.

> just get a router!  Netopia is what  I like, but Linksys works to.  No need
> for a server.

> --
> Sincerely,
> Mark Mancini, CCA, CCNA, Master CIW&CI, CNE 4&5, MCSE+I 4&2000
> www.MCSE2000.com
> www.AppLauncher.com



> > I have a Windows 2000 server and want to use it only for web access
> > for our 10 people here in the office.  My goal to setup the ten XP
> > workstations to point to this server for internet access.  Other than
> > internet access, web surfing they would not need to so anything else
> > on this server.  Here are my questions:

> > 1.  Do I have to create 10 users?
> > 2.  Do I have to install something besides the Windows 2000 server?
> > Like Proxy?
> > 3.  Are their non-microsoft simpler solutions to what I want to do?

> > Thanks.

 
 
 

Newbie help with Proxy? Server

Post by Mark Mancin » Sat, 15 Feb 2003 14:43:38


nothing is native, you would need to buy 3rd party s/w but appliances are
always preferred.

--
Sincerely,
Mark Mancini, CCA, CCNA, Master CIW&CI, CNE 4&5, MCSE+I 4&2000
www.MCSE2000.com
www.AppLauncher.com


> I have a cisco 2600 router but I want to be able to track what web
> sites the users access and block file sharing ports, etc.  I know I
> CAN do it with the cisco but I want to use the Windows 2000 server if
> I can.  Thanks.




> > just get a router!  Netopia is what  I like, but Linksys works to.  No
need
> > for a server.

> > --
> > Sincerely,
> > Mark Mancini, CCA, CCNA, Master CIW&CI, CNE 4&5, MCSE+I 4&2000
> > www.MCSE2000.com
> > www.AppLauncher.com



> > > I have a Windows 2000 server and want to use it only for web access
> > > for our 10 people here in the office.  My goal to setup the ten XP
> > > workstations to point to this server for internet access.  Other than
> > > internet access, web surfing they would not need to so anything else
> > > on this server.  Here are my questions:

> > > 1.  Do I have to create 10 users?
> > > 2.  Do I have to install something besides the Windows 2000 server?
> > > Like Proxy?
> > > 3.  Are their non-microsoft simpler solutions to what I want to do?

> > > Thanks.

 
 
 

Newbie help with Proxy? Server

Post by Karl Magsi » Sat, 15 Feb 2003 23:39:13


Kim,

We here at Deerfield.com offer a great solution for what you are trying to do.
It's called WinGate and has been the industry standard for Internet sharing for
several years now.  You can find it at:

http://www.deerfield.com/products/wingate

In your case you will simply install WinGate on your Win 2K server with the ENS
driver (the portion that has the NAT engine,) then configure your 10 XP clients
to obtain an IP address automatically (default TCP/IP configuration.)  WinGate's
DHCP service will configure the client machine's TCP/IP to connect through it's
NAT service to provide seamless Internet connectivity accross your LAN.  WinGate
also provides the user logging you are looking for as well.

Karl M.
http://www.deerfield.com


>nothing is native, you would need to buy 3rd party s/w but appliances are
>always preferred.

>--
>Sincerely,
>Mark Mancini, CCA, CCNA, Master CIW&CI, CNE 4&5, MCSE+I 4&2000
>www.MCSE2000.com
>www.AppLauncher.com



>> I have a cisco 2600 router but I want to be able to track what web
>> sites the users access and block file sharing ports, etc.  I know I
>> CAN do it with the cisco but I want to use the Windows 2000 server if
>> I can.  Thanks.



>> > just get a router!  Netopia is what  I like, but Linksys works to.  No
>need
>> > for a server.

>> > --
>> > Sincerely,
>> > Mark Mancini, CCA, CCNA, Master CIW&CI, CNE 4&5, MCSE+I 4&2000
>> > www.MCSE2000.com
>> > www.AppLauncher.com



>> > > I have a Windows 2000 server and want to use it only for web access
>> > > for our 10 people here in the office.  My goal to setup the ten XP
>> > > workstations to point to this server for internet access.  Other than
>> > > internet access, web surfing they would not need to so anything else
>> > > on this server.  Here are my questions:

>> > > 1.  Do I have to create 10 users?
>> > > 2.  Do I have to install something besides the Windows 2000 server?
>> > > Like Proxy?
>> > > 3.  Are their non-microsoft simpler solutions to what I want to do?

>> > > Thanks.

 
 
 

Newbie help with Proxy? Server

Post by Kim We » Fri, 21 Feb 2003 00:52:10


OK I'll look at this but I have two questions:

1.  Can I assign the clients static IPs?  I'd like to have them keep
the same IP address.

2.  Do the clients have to have accounts on the 2k server?  We have a
novell server so I would prefer they not have to logon to the domain
on Windows 2000.

Thanks.


> Kim,

> We here at Deerfield.com offer a great solution for what you are trying to do.
> It's called WinGate and has been the industry standard for Internet sharing for
> several years now.  You can find it at:

> http://www.deerfield.com/products/wingate

> In your case you will simply install WinGate on your Win 2K server with the ENS
> driver (the portion that has the NAT engine,) then configure your 10 XP clients
> to obtain an IP address automatically (default TCP/IP configuration.)  WinGate's
> DHCP service will configure the client machine's TCP/IP to connect through it's
> NAT service to provide seamless Internet connectivity accross your LAN.  WinGate
> also provides the user logging you are looking for as well.

> Karl M.
> http://www.deerfield.com


> >nothing is native, you would need to buy 3rd party s/w but appliances are
> >always preferred.

> >--
> >Sincerely,
> >Mark Mancini, CCA, CCNA, Master CIW&CI, CNE 4&5, MCSE+I 4&2000
> >www.MCSE2000.com
> >www.AppLauncher.com



> >> I have a cisco 2600 router but I want to be able to track what web
> >> sites the users access and block file sharing ports, etc.  I know I
> >> CAN do it with the cisco but I want to use the Windows 2000 server if
> >> I can.  Thanks.



> >> > just get a router!  Netopia is what  I like, but Linksys works to.  No
>  need
> >> > for a server.

> >> > --
> >> > Sincerely,
> >> > Mark Mancini, CCA, CCNA, Master CIW&CI, CNE 4&5, MCSE+I 4&2000
> >> > www.MCSE2000.com
> >> > www.AppLauncher.com



> >> > > I have a Windows 2000 server and want to use it only for web access
> >> > > for our 10 people here in the office.  My goal to setup the ten XP
> >> > > workstations to point to this server for internet access.  Other than
> >> > > internet access, web surfing they would not need to so anything else
> >> > > on this server.  Here are my questions:

> >> > > 1.  Do I have to create 10 users?
> >> > > 2.  Do I have to install something besides the Windows 2000 server?
> >> > > Like Proxy?
> >> > > 3.  Are their non-microsoft simpler solutions to what I want to do?

> >> > > Thanks.

 
 
 

Newbie help with Proxy? Server

Post by Karl Magsi » Fri, 21 Feb 2003 01:59:46


Hi Kim,

Quote:>1.  Can I assign the clients static IPs?  I'd like to have them keep
>the same IP address.

This is not a problem.  You can assign static IP addresses to your workstations,
but you will also need to point them to the IP address of the WinGate server as
their default Gateway and DNS server.  I would like to mention though, that
WinGate's DHCP server has a 60 day lease by default, so your clients would only
need to renew their IP every 60 days.  The way WinGate's DHCP server works, the
workstations will most likely end up with the same IP time after time anyway.
When a workstation's lease is halfway over, that workstation will attempt to
renew the same IP address it's been using.  The only time that's not going to
happen is if that workstation has been offline for more than 30 days and the
WinGate server has at some point in that time, run out of IP addresses available
and subsequently already leased that IP to another workstation.  This goes a bit
beyond your question though, WinGate will work fine with statically assigned IP
addresses on your network.

Quote:

>2.  Do the clients have to have accounts on the 2k server?  We have a
>novell server so I would prefer they not have to logon to the domain
>on Windows 2000.

No, they don't even have to log in to WinGate if you don't want them to.  By
default WinGate allows gues access through it, so all your users can connect as
Guest users and connect through without supplying any sort of authentication.
If you want your users to authenticate before being allowed out to the Internet,
you can use WinGate user accounts, which are completely separate from Windows
users.  This feature is useful if you want to track or restrict certain user's
access to the Internet for whatever reason.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance!

>Thanks.



>> Kim,

>>We here at Deerfield.com offer a great solution for what you are trying to do.
>>It's called WinGate and has been the industry standard for Internet sharing for
>> several years now.  You can find it at:

>> http://www.deerfield.com/products/wingate

>>In your case you will simply install WinGate on your Win 2K server with the ENS
>>driver (the portion that has the NAT engine,) then configure your 10 XP clients
>>to obtain an IP address automatically (default TCP/IP configuration.)  WinGate's
>>DHCP service will configure the client machine's TCP/IP to connect through it's
>>NAT service to provide seamless Internet connectivity accross your LAN.  WinGate
>> also provides the user logging you are looking for as well.

>> Karl M.
>> http://www.deerfield.com


>> >nothing is native, you would need to buy 3rd party s/w but appliances are
>> >always preferred.

>> >--
>> >Sincerely,
>> >Mark Mancini, CCA, CCNA, Master CIW&CI, CNE 4&5, MCSE+I 4&2000
>> >www.MCSE2000.com
>> >www.AppLauncher.com



>> >> I have a cisco 2600 router but I want to be able to track what web
>> >> sites the users access and block file sharing ports, etc.  I know I
>> >> CAN do it with the cisco but I want to use the Windows 2000 server if
>> >> I can.  Thanks.



>> >> > just get a router!  Netopia is what  I like, but Linksys works to.  No
>>  need
>> >> > for a server.

>> >> > --
>> >> > Sincerely,
>> >> > Mark Mancini, CCA, CCNA, Master CIW&CI, CNE 4&5, MCSE+I 4&2000
>> >> > www.MCSE2000.com
>> >> > www.AppLauncher.com



>> >> > > I have a Windows 2000 server and want to use it only for web access
>> >> > > for our 10 people here in the office.  My goal to setup the ten XP
>> >> > > workstations to point to this server for internet access.  Other than
>> >> > > internet access, web surfing they would not need to so anything else
>> >> > > on this server.  Here are my questions:

>> >> > > 1.  Do I have to create 10 users?
>> >> > > 2.  Do I have to install something besides the Windows 2000 server?
>> >> > > Like Proxy?
>> >> > > 3.  Are their non-microsoft simpler solutions to what I want to do?

>> >> > > Thanks.

 
 
 

Newbie help with Proxy? Server

Post by Mike Lin ( » Sat, 22 Feb 2003 19:13:22


Hello,

You can configure Network Address Translation (NAT) on the Windows 2000
Server to accomplish the Internet Connection Sharing goal. This component
is shipped with Windows 2000 installation disk but is not installed by
default. The detailed steps are described in the following Microsoft
Knowledge Base (KB) article:

Q310357 HOW TO: Configure the NAT Service in Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q310/3/57.asp.

I hope this helps. Have a good weekend!

Regards,

Mike Lin, MCSA/ MCDBA/ MCSE

Microsoft Online Support
Get Secure! - <www.microsoft.com/security>
=====================================================
When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
=====================================================
This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.