Add/Remove Programs "Class not registered"

Add/Remove Programs "Class not registered"

Post by Kevi » Mon, 10 Dec 2001 09:28:51

Hey all.. I'm getting this error on my Add/Remove Programs
window:

       A Runtime Error has Occurred.
       Do you wish to Debug?

       Line: 224
       Error: Class not registered

Then it displays "There are no programs installed on this
computer" but if I scroll down, I see all my programs.
Clicking on a program or double clicking gives me:

 The instruction at "0x75b6af72" referenced memory
at "0x00000000".  The memory could not be "read".

I was getting this before with mshtml.dll (?) and per MS
Knowledge base, reinstalled 2000 locally.  Performed
an "Upgrade" on 2000.  All the latest and greatest service
packs are installed as well.  Does ANYONE have any idea as
to what's causing all my add/remove program headaches?

I seem to get this after I install any program that add's
an entry to the add/remove programs dialog box..

           - Kevin

Add/Remove Programs "Class not registered"

Post by Dave Patric » Mon, 10 Dec 2001 11:04:04

A couple of things to try; from the "Run" box
regsvr32 %windir%\system32\appwiz.cpl
and
regsvr32 %windir%\system32\webvw.dll
to rebuild several *.htt files

--
Regards,

Microsoft MVP [Windows NT/ 2000]

[...]

Post by JonS » Tue, 11 Dec 2001 02:11:26

I have the same problem. I tried your suggestions, but the Add/Remove
Program window remains the same. Now if I select a program in it, Win2K
closes the Add/Remove Program window and generates this Dr. Watson error:

Quote:>>The application, mshta.exe, generated an application error The error

at address 70C9ADD6 (<nosymbols>) <<

Any thoughts?

JonS
Thanks.

> A couple of things to try; from the "Run" box
> regsvr32 %windir%\system32\appwiz.cpl
> and
> regsvr32 %windir%\system32\webvw.dll
> to rebuild several *.htt files

> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft MVP [Windows NT/ 2000]

>  Hey all.. I'm getting this error on my Add/Remove Programs window:  A

Runtime Error has Occurred.
Quote:> Do you wish to Debug? Line: 224 Error: Class not registered Then it

displays "There are no programs
Quote:> installed on this computer" but if I scroll down, I see all my programs.

Clicking on a program or
Quote:> double clicking gives me:The instruction at "0x75b6af72" referenced memory

at "0x00000000".  The
Quote:> memory could not be "read". I was getting this before with mshtml.dll (?)

and per MS Knowledge base,
Quote:> reinstalled 2000 locally.  Performed an "Upgrade" on 2000.  All the latest

and greatest service
Quote:> packs are installed as well.  Does ANYONE have any idea as  to what's

causing all my add/remove
Quote:> program headaches? I seem to get this after I install any program that

add's  an entry to the
Quote:> add/remove programs dialog box..
> - Kevin

Add/Remove Programs "Class not registered"

Post by Dave Patric » Tue, 11 Dec 2001 02:28:01

From the "Run" box try
sfc /purgecache
and
sfc /scannow
If the problem persists, you'll likely need to perform an in-place upgrade.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q292/1/75.ASP

--
Regards,

Microsoft MVP [Windows NT/ 2000]

 I have the same problem. I tried your suggestions, but the Add/Remove Program window remains the
same. Now if I select a program in it, Win2K closes the Add/Remove Program window and generates this
Dr. Watson error: >>The application, mshta.exe, generated an application error The error occurred on

Any thoughts?
JonS Thanks

Add/Remove Programs "Class not registered"

Post by Kevi » Tue, 11 Dec 2001 05:28:39

Eh, thanks.. Didn't work though.  I'm really trying to avoid having to
re-install windows 2000 everytime I install a program!  Any other
ideas I might try?

   - Kevin

> A couple of things to try; from the "Run" box
> regsvr32 %windir%\system32\appwiz.cpl
> and
> regsvr32 %windir%\system32\webvw.dll
> to rebuild several *.htt files

> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft MVP [Windows NT/ 2000]

>  Hey all.. I'm getting this error on my Add/Remove Programs window:  A Runtime Error has Occurred.
> Do you wish to Debug? Line: 224 Error: Class not registered Then it displays "There are no programs
> installed on this computer" but if I scroll down, I see all my programs. Clicking on a program or
> double clicking gives me:The instruction at "0x75b6af72" referenced memory at "0x00000000".  The
> memory could not be "read". I was getting this before with mshtml.dll (?) and per MS Knowledge base,
> reinstalled 2000 locally.  Performed an "Upgrade" on 2000.  All the latest and greatest service
> packs are installed as well.  Does ANYONE have any idea as  to what's causing all my add/remove
> program headaches? I seem to get this after I install any program that add's  an entry to the
> add/remove programs dialog box..
> - Kevin

Add/Remove Programs "Class not registered"

Post by Dave Patric » Tue, 11 Dec 2001 05:43:24

From the "Run" box try
sfc /purgecache
and
sfc /scannow
If the problem persists, you'll likely need to perform an in-place upgrade.

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q292/1/75.ASP

--
Regards,

Microsoft MVP [Windows NT/ 2000]

 Eh, thanks.. Didn't work though.  I'm really trying to avoid having to re-install windows 2000
everytime I install a program!  Any other ideas I might try?
Kevin

Add/Remove Programs "Class not registered"

Post by JonS » Wed, 12 Dec 2001 07:18:24

Well, I ended up having to perform an in-place upgrade, but that worked.
Thanks for the help.

JonS

> From the "Run" box try
> sfc /purgecache
> and
> sfc /scannow
> If the problem persists, you'll likely need to perform an in-place
upgrade.

> How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
> http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q292/1/75.ASP

> --
> Regards,

> Microsoft MVP [Windows NT/ 2000]

>  I have the same problem. I tried your suggestions, but the Add/Remove

Program window remains the
Quote:> same. Now if I select a program in it, Win2K closes the Add/Remove Program

window and generates this
Quote:> Dr. Watson error: >>The application, mshta.exe, generated an application

error The error occurred on
70C9ADD6 (<nosymbols>) <<

Quote:> Any thoughts?