Can't boot WIN XP

Post by news.verizon.ne » Wed, 28 May 2003 11:26:23

I have a dual-boot of WIN XP and WIN 2000.  XP is on drive C and 2000 is on
D and E.  WIN 2000 boots just fine but when I try to boot WIN XP all I get
is an error msg that the following file is missing or corrupted:
\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEMd.  What is the file?  Is it part of XP or
WIN 2000?

Can anyone help me with what to do about this?  At first, the dual boot
worked just fine both ways, but then only WIN 2000 would come up.  That is
where I'm sending this post from now.

As always, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Can't boot WIN XP

Post by Bjorn Landemo » Thu, 29 May 2003 04:35:07

Try copying the files ntldr and ntdetect.com from your XP CD to C:\. You
probably installed older versions of those files over your XP ones. The
older files thinks that they are booting Win2000, but doesn't understand
the registry file format of XP.

Best regards

Bjorn

>I have a dual-boot of WIN XP and WIN 2000.  XP is on drive C and 2000 is on
>D and E.  WIN 2000 boots just fine but when I try to boot WIN XP all I get
>is an error msg that the following file is missing or corrupted:
>\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEMd.  What is the file?  Is it part of XP or
>WIN 2000?

>Can anyone help me with what to do about this?  At first, the dual boot
>worked just fine both ways, but then only WIN 2000 would come up.  That is
>where I'm sending this post from now.

>As always, any help will be greatly appreciated.

1. Problems with boot.ini file in XP, computer won't boot

Hi,

I did a really stupid thing. I installed Win XP as an upgrade on a Win98
disc in a seperate folder. For some reason the Win XP thought that my hard
disc was corrupted and refused progress any further. When I booted again, I
found that I could dual boot and my Win 98 system worked fine. Stupidly, I
moved the boot.ini file to another directory so now I can't boot at all.
When I boot into repair mode, the command line console won't allow me to
copy the boot.ini files back to the root directory. I keep getting the
message "access denied".

Is there any way I can trick the machine into starting up DOS in Win98?
I've tried using a Win98 recovery disc but it just boots into Win XP anyway.

Any help appreciated, not looking forward to a clean install of Win 98

thanks,

Kevin

2. Cin and filtering

3. Win 2000 Pro Client ---> Win XP Pro ICS Host won't route.

4. Intercepting Win95/NT System Functions

5. Dual boot Win 98/Win 2000: Win 98 won't restart or shut down

6. (I think) Fixpack killed Excel under Win-OS/2; Help needed

7. Win won't boot after uninstalling Boot Magic

8. Qwindows 2.2 - 4.2

9. XP Pro Won't Boot - Need to Preserve Encrypted Files

10. Upgrade to XP, and now won't boot!!

11. XP won't boot

12. Win 2K won't boot and can't re-install

13. Cannot Dual Boot Win XP & Win 2000 Advanced Server !!