confusion over maximum password age....

Post by Larry Hol » Fri, 07 Jun 2002 01:38:49

sorry for such an elementary question-when I go to Local Security
Policy, it shows me the local setting and the effective setting
(effective is what I want).
which setting applies?
larry

confusion over maximum password age....

Post by Steve Duf » Fri, 07 Jun 2002 10:12:39

...And effective is what you get.

The effective setting is the end result of combining local, domain,
and domain controller security policies. Thus, changing the
local setting may not do anything if there is an overriding
policy in place somewhere else.

Steve Duff, MCSE
Ergodic Systems, Inc.

Quote:> sorry for such an elementary question-when I go to Local Security

Post by Larry Hol » Fri, 07 Jun 2002 10:21:40

>...And effective is what you get.

>The effective setting is the end result of combining local, domain,
>and domain controller security policies. Thus, changing the
>local setting may not do anything if there is an overriding
>policy in place somewhere else.

thanks for the response-where should I set this in the future then
(single server environment)?
also, what's the differnce between domain and domain controller? doesn't
the dc govern the domain?
larry

1. Maximum Password age blowing up

We just set the "Maximum Password Age" setting to 90 days in our "Default
Domain Policy". It used to be "Not Defined". Now everyone is being prompted
to change thier password.The problem is that when they attempt to change the
pasword and click OK, they get an error message that thier account is locked
out?? I then have to go and unlck it and manually put in thier password???
The Minimum Password Age is 0 days. Enforce password history is "Not
Defined", Pasword Complexity is "Not Defined, Account lockout Threshold is
"10 invalid attempts" For some reason the account is getting locked out as
soon as they are prompted to change thier password, but because its locked
out, they can't change them. HELP

2. Cannot build emacs 19,34b on Solaris 2,5,1???

3. Maximum Password Age

4. **WARNING**: Fractal.zip may lock up your system!!!

5. plot effective area

6. Wanted: OS/2 install program

7. Force maximum password age on only some users???

8. Password Age Setting

9. password age

10. 2000 Pro user passwords age

11. default domain GPO, password aging