connect 2 PC (windows 2000 PC with windows ME PC)

connect 2 PC (windows 2000 PC with windows ME PC)

Post by oussama khour » Tue, 25 Feb 2003 11:33:54

Hello,

I have 2 PCs at home. One with Windows 2000 and one with
Windows Me. I have a cross cable between them, but I am
not able to connect them.
are there step by step detailed instructions how to setup
up the connection between the 2 computers?
Many thanks,

connect 2 PC (windows 2000 PC with windows ME PC)

Post by Robert » Tue, 25 Feb 2003 23:14:54

quoted from http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

If one network computer has difficulty communicating with other computers
that are running Windows 2000, Microsoft Windows 95, or Microsoft Windows 98
in a peer-to-peer workgroup, make sure that you have setup the common
workgroup, protocol, enabled the file and printer sharing, and setup
necessary permission for the user accessing.

One of the common problems in workgroup network is permission. If you have
the above mentioned setup correctly, and even used the same ID and password
of the accessed computer to logon, and you were still unable to access the
win2000/XP computer, try to enable the guest account in the win2000/XP
(enable guest account is risky) or even enable simple file sharing on XP.

Another common problem in mixed (win9x, NT, ME, Win2K and XP) workgroup
network is name resolution. If you can ping IP but not computer name, this
may be a NetBIOS issue. You may try to enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP on
win2K/XP if you don't have WINS server.

For more information, go to  http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

Please don't send e-mail or reply to me except you need consulting services.
Posting on MS newsgroup will benefit all readers and you may get more help.

Robert Lin, CNE & MCSE
Windows & Network Support, Tips and FAQs on
http://www25.brinkster.com/ChicagoTech

Quote:> Hello,

> I have 2 PCs at home. One with Windows 2000 and one with
> Windows Me. I have a cross cable between them, but I am
> not able to connect them.
> are there step by step detailed instructions how to setup
> up the connection between the 2 computers?
> Many thanks,

1. 1 ISDN, 1 Router, 1 Windows 2000 Server PC, 4 Windows 98 PC'S

We had a network put in a few years back using windows 95, and NT4 Server.  The nodes could
connect to the net, via the server that was attached to a router.

It was my clever decision to upgrade to Win2K and Win98, however rather that do upgrades i
thought that i would get more benifit from fresh installed systems.  I formated the Server
and Nodes, Installed Windows 98 on Nodes, with

Nic Card Driver (Intel)
Client for MS Networks (USING DOMAIN NAME "OFFICE")
TCP/IP (Using all default values)

The Server is set up as a Domain Called OFFICE and has 2 Nic's

I wrote a few details about my Internet connection be for formating the server.

I have the Network running, sharing files etc.. and i have the server connecting to the net,
but the windows 98PCs cannot connect to the net they just show the IIS 'Under Construction
Page' for every site i try to visit.

What do i need setup on the Server e.g
IP Routing
DNS
WINS
DHCP
to allow the 98 pcs to connect to the net.

What is it that i am possibly missing to cause the nodes not to connect to the net.

The 2 Nics in the Server are on the Same subnet, but different IPS, the Default gateway for
the not router controling card is set to the IP of the router controling card.

Do i need to assign IP's to the nodes, or leave it to DHCP
do i need to set any Gatway/DNS/Wins settings on the nodes.

Is their a website with details of what i am trying to do available, perhaps knowledge base
article (could not find one)

Answers to any of the many questions i have asked would be gratfully received.

Thanks in advance

Ian

P.S and i promise to hire somebody who has a clue about what they are doing to do this next
time.

P.S.S or i will at least write down all the settings from every PC affected.

2. Nobody likes me... (test)

3. How to directly connect a Win2000 PC to a Windows XP PC

4. Help : I can not get into NWADMIN

5. Windows 2000 PC can't see Win98FE PC

6. Printing on Networked Win95 PC Using Emacs 19.34

7. I have problems seeing a shared drive on a windows 2000 PC from another W2K PC

8. USR 2977 and v92 upgrade?

9. Looking for Windows 2000 Drivers for PC-PC Firewire cable connection

10. Network windows 2k PC to a windows 98 PC

11. Is anyone using Windows CE or Pocket PC devices with the Mac without Virtual PC?

12. Copy Windows 98 Dialup Connections from PC to PC

13. Are PC vendors still authorized to sell new PCs with Windows 98?