Win2000 Pro long long time loading

Win2000 Pro long long time loading

Post by John » Thu, 23 May 2002 07:19:40



Here is the problem.  My teacher has a computer that takes 58 minutes to
boot to Windows 2000 Pro.  During this long boot up, the screen goes black.
As if the OS froze.  Once Win2000 is loaded everything on the system is
fine.  Booting (dual boot) to Linux and everything is normal.

The PC is a P2 333MGHz, 256Mb RAM, Intel Chipset, Dual Boot, Win2000
Pro/Linux, Lilo Boot Loader, Nothing running in the background.

If he hits the F8 key to boot to Safe Mode Win2000 still takes 58 minutes to
load.  He has tried re-installing Win2000 again and still the same problem.
He has scanned for viruses with several virus scanners and found nothing.

This started only after he decided to Re-Install Win2000 (he can't remember
why he did) on his PC.  Before his re-install the two -- Win2000/Linux
worked quite well.  Both OS's loaded normally.  Since the re-install (and
another re-install) Win2000 always takes 58 minutes to load.

The black screen almost sounds like maybe the Video Card has problems so
where going to try a PCI video card opposed to the AGP just to see what
happens.  But still Linux has no problems at all and once Win2000 is finally
loaded it's ok too.

I did a search on Google but came up empty.

Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, John

 
 
 

Win2000 Pro long long time loading

Post by Rick Jacob » Thu, 23 May 2002 11:53:15



> Here is the problem.  My teacher has a computer that takes 58 minutes
> to boot to Windows 2000 Pro.  During this long boot up, the screen
> goes black. As if the OS froze.  Once Win2000 is loaded everything on
> the system is fine.  Booting (dual boot) to Linux and everything is
> normal.

> The PC is a P2 333MGHz, 256Mb RAM, Intel Chipset, Dual Boot, Win2000
> Pro/Linux, Lilo Boot Loader, Nothing running in the background.

I would start from scratch and fdisk/format the hard drive before the
install.

 
 
 

Win2000 Pro long long time loading

Post by Umer » Fri, 24 May 2002 23:21:37


u should check your hard drive and make sure ... does windows prompt for
chkdsk everytime it boots ?


Quote:> Here is the problem.  My teacher has a computer that takes 58 minutes to
> boot to Windows 2000 Pro.  During this long boot up, the screen goes
black.
> As if the OS froze.  Once Win2000 is loaded everything on the system is
> fine.  Booting (dual boot) to Linux and everything is normal.

> The PC is a P2 333MGHz, 256Mb RAM, Intel Chipset, Dual Boot, Win2000
> Pro/Linux, Lilo Boot Loader, Nothing running in the background.

> If he hits the F8 key to boot to Safe Mode Win2000 still takes 58 minutes
to
> load.  He has tried re-installing Win2000 again and still the same
problem.
> He has scanned for viruses with several virus scanners and found nothing.

> This started only after he decided to Re-Install Win2000 (he can't
remember
> why he did) on his PC.  Before his re-install the two -- Win2000/Linux
> worked quite well.  Both OS's loaded normally.  Since the re-install (and
> another re-install) Win2000 always takes 58 minutes to load.

> The black screen almost sounds like maybe the Video Card has problems so
> where going to try a PCI video card opposed to the AGP just to see what
> happens.  But still Linux has no problems at all and once Win2000 is
finally
> loaded it's ok too.

> I did a search on Google but came up empty.

> Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, John

 
 
 

Win2000 Pro long long time loading

Post by John » Sat, 25 May 2002 05:43:36


Time to get rid of that "DinoPuter" . Hardware is so cheap now, why not get
a P4 with WinXp preinstalled? Then your problems will disappear.
JR.


> u should check your hard drive and make sure ... does windows prompt for
> chkdsk everytime it boots ?



> > Here is the problem.  My teacher has a computer that takes 58 minutes to
> > boot to Windows 2000 Pro.  During this long boot up, the screen goes
> black.
> > As if the OS froze.  Once Win2000 is loaded everything on the system is
> > fine.  Booting (dual boot) to Linux and everything is normal.

> > The PC is a P2 333MGHz, 256Mb RAM, Intel Chipset, Dual Boot, Win2000
> > Pro/Linux, Lilo Boot Loader, Nothing running in the background.

> > If he hits the F8 key to boot to Safe Mode Win2000 still takes 58
minutes
> to
> > load.  He has tried re-installing Win2000 again and still the same
> problem.
> > He has scanned for viruses with several virus scanners and found
nothing.

> > This started only after he decided to Re-Install Win2000 (he can't
> remember
> > why he did) on his PC.  Before his re-install the two -- Win2000/Linux
> > worked quite well.  Both OS's loaded normally.  Since the re-install
(and
> > another re-install) Win2000 always takes 58 minutes to load.

> > The black screen almost sounds like maybe the Video Card has problems so
> > where going to try a PCI video card opposed to the AGP just to see what
> > happens.  But still Linux has no problems at all and once Win2000 is
> finally
> > loaded it's ok too.

> > I did a search on Google but came up empty.

> > Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, John

 
 
 

Win2000 Pro long long time loading

Post by CatsNDog » Sat, 25 May 2002 06:34:44


What Virus scanner is running on the system?


> Time to get rid of that "DinoPuter" . Hardware is so cheap now, why not
get
> a P4 with WinXp preinstalled? Then your problems will disappear.
> JR.



> > u should check your hard drive and make sure ... does windows prompt for
> > chkdsk everytime it boots ?



> > > Here is the problem.  My teacher has a computer that takes 58 minutes
to
> > > boot to Windows 2000 Pro.  During this long boot up, the screen goes
> > black.
> > > As if the OS froze.  Once Win2000 is loaded everything on the system
is
> > > fine.  Booting (dual boot) to Linux and everything is normal.

> > > The PC is a P2 333MGHz, 256Mb RAM, Intel Chipset, Dual Boot, Win2000
> > > Pro/Linux, Lilo Boot Loader, Nothing running in the background.

> > > If he hits the F8 key to boot to Safe Mode Win2000 still takes 58
> minutes
> > to
> > > load.  He has tried re-installing Win2000 again and still the same
> > problem.
> > > He has scanned for viruses with several virus scanners and found
> nothing.

> > > This started only after he decided to Re-Install Win2000 (he can't
> > remember
> > > why he did) on his PC.  Before his re-install the two -- Win2000/Linux
> > > worked quite well.  Both OS's loaded normally.  Since the re-install
> (and
> > > another re-install) Win2000 always takes 58 minutes to load.

> > > The black screen almost sounds like maybe the Video Card has problems
so
> > > where going to try a PCI video card opposed to the AGP just to see
what
> > > happens.  But still Linux has no problems at all and once Win2000 is
> > finally
> > > loaded it's ok too.

> > > I did a search on Google but came up empty.

> > > Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, John

 
 
 

1. Logon times...how long is too long?

I need some input from people in the same situation, please.
We have locked down the desktops with a GPO, *.man profile, and folder
redirection. There is a logon script (rem' ed at the moment) in the users
Profile property tab with the Home folder set up on the server.
When I arrived here a few months ago Logon times were about 3.5 mins, I have
been able to reduce that down to about 45 secs, and in one case as fast as
24 secs. I realize that times will vary depending on traffic, what the
server is doing etc.
Clients P2 233 / Server P2 233.
--

Thank you,
Les Phillips MCP
SCILAB Admin

2. Internet explorer logon to Flash Site

3. Long Long on time with AD

4. help me

5. HP Printer takes a long long time to begin printing

6. Finding rgb values for a colour

7. Loading personal Settings takes a long time

8. Schedualar program needed

9. long time to load profiles

10. "Loading your personal settings..." takes a very long time

11. Loading your personal settings" dialog box is displayed a extremly long time

12. Windows Explorer takes a long time to load

13. Takes a long time to load a user profile.