Slow shut down on Win 2000 Pro

Post by Curt Olmschei » Thu, 05 Jun 2003 03:04:39

It seems to take longer than usual to shut down Win 2000
Pro. Does anyone know what things to look at to speed that
up? I'm comparing my laptop, a Pentium 3 833mhz with 384
meg of RAM to my home pc (the slow shut-down machine)
which has an AMD Athelon 1.2 ghz processor with 384 meg of
RAM.

Post by Mark » Thu, 05 Jun 2003 05:36:50

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>It seems to take longer than usual to shut down Win 2000
>Pro. Does anyone know what things to look at to speed
that
>up? I'm comparing my laptop, a Pentium 3 833mhz with 384
>meg of RAM to my home pc (the slow shut-down machine)
>which has an AMD Athelon 1.2 ghz processor with 384 meg
of
>RAM.

>.
>Check this out http://www.asitis.org/archives/000134.html

I know there is another way to do it if you leave that in
but have to find that. I will see if I can track it down.

Slow shut down on Win 2000 Pro

Post by Pierre Castricu » Thu, 05 Jun 2003 05:48:56

I too am having this happen on my work laptop with Win
2000 Pro.
Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>It seems to take longer than usual to shut down Win 2000
>Pro. Does anyone know what things to look at to speed
that
>up? I'm comparing my laptop, a Pentium 3 833mhz with 384
>meg of RAM to my home pc (the slow shut-down machine)
>which has an AMD Athelon 1.2 ghz processor with 384 meg
of
>RAM.

>.

Slow shut down on Win 2000 Pro

Post by Steve Parry [MVP » Thu, 05 Jun 2003 06:05:28

goto Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs > Change/Remove Programs and see if Q329170 is
listed as an
update if it is remove it.

plus

start > run > gpedit.msc > Computer Configuration> Administrative Template
System > Logon > Maximum retries to unload and update user profile ... set
enabled and to say 5 ... default if not configured is 60!!

There appears to be a hotfix available from MS (thanks Neo)
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;814770

but you will have to telephone MS to order it.

--
Steve Parry BA (Hons) MCP MVP

http://www.gwynfryn.co.uk

1. Win 2000 Pro slow to shut down - error userenv 1000

A few weeks ago my system became slow to shut down. "Saving your settings"
message appears, then nothing for several minutes, then a brief burst of
disk activity and the message "Shutting down windows", then another pause of
a few minutes, before closing down. No problems experienced on start up.

Aplication log error - source: userenv, event: 1000. "Windows cannot unload
your registry file. If you have a roaming profile, your settings are not
replicated. Contact your administrator. DETAIL - Access is denied. Build
number [[2195]]."

According to Microsoft article 269858 this is supposed to be fixed in SP2.
But when it first occurred I was already at SP2 plus a load of pre-SP3
updates.

Another article 285192 says it should be fixed in SP3. I have now installed
full SP3, but it made no difference. I have checked the files listed in the
article, but mine are all dated later than the minimum specified.

The only thing I can think of that has changed on the system since it was
working properly is that I have probably run Windows update and downloaded
security fixes. (Prior to the SP3 upgrade)

Anyone any ideas what else I can do?

Apologies for the length of this post.

Harry

2. relay-domains file

3. Dual boot Win 98/Win 2000: Win 98 won't restart or shut down

4. 2.04 ROMS and my A500

5. Windows 2000 Pro won't shut down or restart

6. extensions

7. auto shut down on win2k Pro doesn't shut the computer down?

8. Modem TRUST Communicator 33.6 ESP

9. Win 2000 Pro Shut Down

10. Windows 2000 Pro won't shut down or restart

11. When Shut Down win 98, it reboots instead of shutting down?

12. Win 2000 won't full shut down.

13. Win 2000 won't completely shut down.