Virus alert - is it bogus???

Post by neo281 » Fri, 26 Jul 2002 00:10:23

I recieved an email today warning me of a virus which is
sent via address books and undetectable by all the popular
virus scanners.
The email gave explicit instructions on how to remove the
virus which basically consisted of finding it and deleting
it then emptying recycle bin. It also said DO NOT OPEN IT.
I'm always sceptacle of these emails and believe it's just
someone trying to get rid of a necessary file on as many
machines as possible.
Needless to say, I opened the file in notepad so as not to
run it, but to check for any signs, and found the file to
have a microsoft copyright signature, and a few more clues
which pointed to the file being a system translator of
some sort.
The file is called jdbgmgr.exe (teddybear icon) and is
found in the C:\winnt\system32 folder on Win 200 Prof...

Please advise if my assumptions are correct?

Cheers

Neo

Virus alert - is it bogus???

Post by Davi » Fri, 26 Jul 2002 00:46:50

Rest assured it is totally bogus, while there is some viruses that can
affect the file jdbgmgr.exe, This particular email you are refering to is
not one of them and you should not delete this file.  For more info check
out this site.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/jdbgmgr.exe.f...
x.html

--

.

Quote:> I recieved an email today warning me of a virus which is
> sent via address books and undetectable by all the popular
> virus scanners.
> The email gave explicit instructions on how to remove the
> virus which basically consisted of finding it and deleting
> it then emptying recycle bin. It also said DO NOT OPEN IT.
> I'm always sceptacle of these emails and believe it's just
> someone trying to get rid of a necessary file on as many
> machines as possible.
> Needless to say, I opened the file in notepad so as not to
> run it, but to check for any signs, and found the file to
> have a microsoft copyright signature, and a few more clues
> which pointed to the file being a system translator of
> some sort.
> The file is called jdbgmgr.exe (teddybear icon) and is
> found in the C:\winnt\system32 folder on Win 200 Prof...

> Please advise if my assumptions are correct?

> Cheers

> Neo

Virus alert - is it bogus???

Post by Bruce Chamber » Fri, 26 Jul 2002 00:46:03

Greetings --

  It's a hoax.  Do nothing with the named file, and tell whomever sent you
the original message to check their facts before spreading rumors.

Microsoft De* Registrar for Java Is Not a Virus
http://www.veryComputer.com/;en-us;Q322993

http://www.veryComputer.com/

HTH&GL,

Bruce Chambers
__
The truth of a proposition has nothing to do with its credibility. And vice
versa. -- RAH

Quote:> I recieved an email today warning me of a virus which is
> sent via address books and undetectable by all the popular
> virus scanners.
> The email gave explicit instructions on how to remove the
> virus which basically consisted of finding it and deleting
> it then emptying recycle bin. It also said DO NOT OPEN IT.
> I'm always sceptacle of these emails and believe it's just
> someone trying to get rid of a necessary file on as many
> machines as possible.
> Needless to say, I opened the file in notepad so as not to
> run it, but to check for any signs, and found the file to
> have a microsoft copyright signature, and a few more clues
> which pointed to the file being a system translator of
> some sort.
> The file is called jdbgmgr.exe (teddybear icon) and is
> found in the C:\winnt\system32 folder on Win 200 Prof...

> Please advise if my assumptions are correct?

> Cheers

> Neo

Virus alert - is it bogus???

Post by Slick Dic » Fri, 26 Jul 2002 00:44:31

It is a hoax.

http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/jdbgmgr.exe.f...
x.html

Quote:> I recieved an email today warning me of a virus which is
> sent via address books and undetectable by all the popular
> virus scanners.
> The email gave explicit instructions on how to remove the
> virus which basically consisted of finding it and deleting
> it then emptying recycle bin. It also said DO NOT OPEN IT.
> I'm always sceptacle of these emails and believe it's just
> someone trying to get rid of a necessary file on as many
> machines as possible.
> Needless to say, I opened the file in notepad so as not to
> run it, but to check for any signs, and found the file to
> have a microsoft copyright signature, and a few more clues
> which pointed to the file being a system translator of
> some sort.
> The file is called jdbgmgr.exe (teddybear icon) and is
> found in the C:\winnt\system32 folder on Win 200 Prof...

> Please advise if my assumptions are correct?

> Cheers

> Neo

Virus alert - is it bogus???

Post by Conra » Fri, 26 Jul 2002 00:33:48

It is bogus, that file is actually used for Java traslation. Do not delete
it, leave it alone and trash that email that you recieved.

-Conrad

Quote:> I recieved an email today warning me of a virus which is
> sent via address books and undetectable by all the popular
> virus scanners.
> The email gave explicit instructions on how to remove the
> virus which basically consisted of finding it and deleting
> it then emptying recycle bin. It also said DO NOT OPEN IT.
> I'm always sceptacle of these emails and believe it's just
> someone trying to get rid of a necessary file on as many
> machines as possible.
> Needless to say, I opened the file in notepad so as not to
> run it, but to check for any signs, and found the file to
> have a microsoft copyright signature, and a few more clues
> which pointed to the file being a system translator of
> some sort.
> The file is called jdbgmgr.exe (teddybear icon) and is
> found in the C:\winnt\system32 folder on Win 200 Prof...

> Please advise if my assumptions are correct?

> Cheers

> Neo

Virus alert - is it bogus???

http://www.google.com/search?q=jdbgmgr.exe
--
Tom Vogel
Vogel Computer Services

Virus alert - is it bogus???

Post by menard 24262 » Fri, 26 Jul 2002 01:16:22

it's an honor system virus. they didn't have the programming skills to write
a real virus,
so you have to*up your system on your own

Quote:> I recieved an email today warning me of a virus which is
> sent via address books and undetectable by all the popular
> virus scanners.
> The email gave explicit instructions on how to remove the
> virus which basically consisted of finding it and deleting
> it then emptying recycle bin. It also said DO NOT OPEN IT.
> I'm always sceptacle of these emails and believe it's just
> someone trying to get rid of a necessary file on as many
> machines as possible.
> Needless to say, I opened the file in notepad so as not to
> run it, but to check for any signs, and found the file to
> have a microsoft copyright signature, and a few more clues
> which pointed to the file being a system translator of
> some sort.
> The file is called jdbgmgr.exe (teddybear icon) and is
> found in the C:\winnt\system32 folder on Win 200 Prof...

> Please advise if my assumptions are correct?

> Cheers

> Neo

Virus alert - is it bogus???

Post by Conra » Fri, 26 Jul 2002 01:30:21

haha!!

> it's an honor system virus. they didn't have the programming skills to
write
> a real virus,
> so you have to*up your system on your own

> > I recieved an email today warning me of a virus which is
> > sent via address books and undetectable by all the popular
> > virus scanners.
> > The email gave explicit instructions on how to remove the
> > virus which basically consisted of finding it and deleting
> > it then emptying recycle bin. It also said DO NOT OPEN IT.
> > I'm always sceptacle of these emails and believe it's just
> > someone trying to get rid of a necessary file on as many
> > machines as possible.
> > Needless to say, I opened the file in notepad so as not to
> > run it, but to check for any signs, and found the file to
> > have a microsoft copyright signature, and a few more clues
> > which pointed to the file being a system translator of
> > some sort.
> > The file is called jdbgmgr.exe (teddybear icon) and is
> > found in the C:\winnt\system32 folder on Win 200 Prof...

> > Please advise if my assumptions are correct?

> > Cheers

> > Neo

Virus alert - is it bogus???

Post by Nil Fia » Fri, 26 Jul 2002 01:45:27

Yup, seen that before.  It's an MS system file and a hoax designed to get
you to delete it.  --NF

Quote:> I recieved an email today warning me of a virus which is
> sent via address books and undetectable by all the popular
> virus scanners.
> The email gave explicit instructions on how to remove the
> virus which basically consisted of finding it and deleting
> it then emptying recycle bin. It also said DO NOT OPEN IT.
> I'm always sceptacle of these emails and believe it's just
> someone trying to get rid of a necessary file on as many
> machines as possible.
> Needless to say, I opened the file in notepad so as not to
> run it, but to check for any signs, and found the file to
> have a microsoft copyright signature, and a few more clues
> which pointed to the file being a system translator of
> some sort.
> The file is called jdbgmgr.exe (teddybear icon) and is
> found in the C:\winnt\system32 folder on Win 200 Prof...

> Please advise if my assumptions are correct?

> Cheers

> Neo

Virus alert - is it bogus???

Post by neo281 » Fri, 26 Jul 2002 05:07:31

Thanks alot to all who replied. Your replies confirmed
what I already suspected, so cheers... I forwarded a
warning on to all those who were sent the email, by the
person who sent it to me, to explain about the hoax.
Hopefully they all received it in time...

Cheers

Neo

Virus alert - is it bogus???

Post by Hoaxbuste » Sat, 27 Jul 2002 00:22:27

When you're not sure of it's true or a hoax check out
www.hoaxbuster.com