How do you load-balance DNS?

Post by Pete » Tue, 08 May 2001 23:43:24

Microsoft keeps saying that you should have two or more DNS servers for
active directory, in order to provide redundancy and load balancing so that
there is not just ONE dns server providing all the name resolution.

But, if all my clients are getting the DNS server settings from my DHCP, and
it is set to give them 3 different DNS servers for their search order, then
all my clients will always be attempting to resolve names using the first
DNS server in their search order?  Which defeats the whole load-balancing
theory!

How do you set things so that some of your clients use a certain DNS server
for their primary, and others use another as their primary?

How do you load-balance DNS?

Post by M Holzeme » Wed, 09 May 2001 00:08:26

Peter,
 DNS uses a round-robin scheme that you can read about in microsoft's DNS
whitepaper. Its really good and it answered quite a few on my questions

Mike

Quote:> Microsoft keeps saying that you should have two or more DNS servers for
> active directory, in order to provide redundancy and load balancing so
that
> there is not just ONE dns server providing all the name resolution.

> But, if all my clients are getting the DNS server settings from my DHCP,
and
> it is set to give them 3 different DNS servers for their search order,
then
> all my clients will always be attempting to resolve names using the first
> DNS server in their search order?  Which defeats the whole load-balancing
> theory!

> How do you set things so that some of your clients use a certain DNS
server
> for their primary, and others use another as their primary?

How do you load-balance DNS?

Post by Pete » Thu, 10 May 2001 02:31:14

That's load balancing for a certain HOST that a client is trying to resolve
using the DNS server.

What I wanted to know was this:  How do you load balance the DNS servers to
which your clients point, for name resolution? If you have 3 DNS servers,
and all your clients have in their TCP/IP settings to use the three DNS
servers as their preferred DNS servers, then the only reason a client would
use DNS server # 2, instead of DNS server # 1, is if DNS server # 1 does not
respond.

But, how can you tell the DHCP server to assign these 3 DNS servers to
clients in a random order, so that client # 1 might point to DNS server # 2,
and client # 2 might point to DNS server # 1?

Get it?

> Peter,
>  DNS uses a round-robin scheme that you can read about in microsoft's DNS
> whitepaper. Its really good and it answered quite a few on my questions

> Mike

> > Microsoft keeps saying that you should have two or more DNS servers for
> > active directory, in order to provide redundancy and load balancing so
> that
> > there is not just ONE dns server providing all the name resolution.

> > But, if all my clients are getting the DNS server settings from my DHCP,
> and
> > it is set to give them 3 different DNS servers for their search order,
> then
> > all my clients will always be attempting to resolve names using the
first
> > DNS server in their search order?  Which defeats the whole
load-balancing
> > theory!

> > How do you set things so that some of your clients use a certain DNS
> server
> > for their primary, and others use another as their primary?

How do you load-balance DNS?

Post by Kenneth Port » Thu, 10 May 2001 03:14:59

Quote:> But, how can you tell the DHCP server to assign these 3 DNS servers to
> clients in a random order, so that client # 1 might point to DNS server
> # 2, and client # 2 might point to DNS server # 1?

One approach is to create 3 scopes (non-overlapping), and use 3 different
orders of name server lists for the 3 scopes. You could run DHCP and DNS on
3 servers, with each DHCP server managing a different part of the address
range. A client will likely get a lease from the closest server, and that
server can list itself as the first DNS server.

--
Kenneth Porter
http://www.sewingwitch.com/ken/

1. Network Load Balancing (Balancing?)

Hi

I have two machines prepared for NLB. I have verified that both are in the
cluster. But when i test my application it really does not "BALANCE" the
load. For example Server1 take most of the load and Server2 take quite a
small amount of load. But i have configured to take both the servers 50-50.
As far as know i have configured the two servers properly. Is there any
utility or any tips to check wether i am doing anything wrong here?

Regards
KK

2. ObjectSupportLib without CFM?

3. Can Microsoft DNS work with Network Load Balancing

4. Dice developers wanted

5. Win2k DNS Load Balancing???

6. How to get statistics of a Domino Web-Application?

7. 2000 Load Balancing, DNS Records

8. DNS Load Balance and wierd Traffic pattern?

9. Web Server Load Balancing with MS DNS

10. Network Load Balance with DNS, WINS, DHCP

11. Configuring Secondary DNS for redundancy and load balance

12. Load-balancing DNS