'rogueapp' subdir in my 'program files' - how, why, what?

'rogueapp' subdir in my 'program files' - how, why, what?

Post by MattSta » Fri, 01 Mar 2002 01:24:24

Hi,

In my 'Program Files' folder I have found a sub directory called 'iss'
which, in turn, has a sub directory called 'rogueapp'. Both appear to be
empty even with the options show hidden files and show system files
checked on. [Note: When listing from command prompt they are also
empty.]

Anyone know how these directories got there? I certainly didn't make
them. 'roagueapp' sounds dangerous.

Using: Win 2000 Server SP2.

Thanks,

..matthew

'rogueapp' subdir in my 'program files' - how, why, what?

Post by S. Pidgorny [MVP » Fri, 01 Mar 2002 02:55:53

An empty folder can't be any dangerous, and malware usually masquerades
itself.
Relax, mate.

--
Svyatoslav Pidgorny, MVP, MCSE
-= F1 is the key =-

Quote:> Hi,

> In my 'Program Files' folder I have found a sub directory called 'iss'
> which, in turn, has a sub directory called 'rogueapp'. Both appear to be
> empty even with the options show hidden files and show system files
> checked on. [Note: When listing from command prompt they are also
> empty.]

> Anyone know how these directories got there? I certainly didn't make
> them. 'roagueapp' sounds dangerous.

> Using: Win 2000 Server SP2.

> Thanks,

> ..matthew

'rogueapp' subdir in my 'program files' - how, why, what?

Post by Brett Goodma » Fri, 01 Mar 2002 06:52:51

I believe a product called Internet Security Scanner (ISS) was at some point
installed on your machine, or perhaps a demo version.  "RogueApps" in the
content of a security scanner wouldn't necessarily worry me, especially
since IIRC its uninstall doesn't delete all its associated directories.  You
should be able to find more information at www.iss.net.  I guess the real
question is who installed it in the first place?

Good luck.
--
B. Goodman

**Remember that everything provided to you is for information ONLY.  There
is no warranty, express or implied.  Use at your own risk.

Quote:> Hi,

> In my 'Program Files' folder I have found a sub directory called 'iss'
> which, in turn, has a sub directory called 'rogueapp'. Both appear to be
> empty even with the options show hidden files and show system files
> checked on. [Note: When listing from command prompt they are also
> empty.]

> Anyone know how these directories got there? I certainly didn't make
> them. 'roagueapp' sounds dangerous.

> Using: Win 2000 Server SP2.

> Thanks,

> ..matthew

'rogueapp' subdir in my 'program files' - how, why, what?

Post by MattSta » Tue, 05 Mar 2002 21:40:43

Thanks Guys. [Sorry for the lateness of my reply have been off work.]

Regards,

Matthew

1. Alternate location of 'My Documents' and 'Program Files' in W2K

Is there a way to "move" the My Documents and Program Files folders to another drive/partition and make that the default location?

I want to keep my system partition free of as many application files as necessary and wish to setup a second "application" partition that would hold all the application folders, as well as the Program Files and My Documents folders.

2. qcc and DOS files

3. Page File '''HELP'''

4. Read a variable Format name

5. Why does win98 always '20 times/day' check my A: drive 'HELP'

6. Pirates! Reissue

7. '''''''' xmouse and tweakui

8. networking

9. VIRUS ALERT''''Windows Explorer''' Message below....

10. missing 'scrsvr.exe' and 'alevir.exe' files

11. ''OPENGL32.DLL a required file was not found''

12. Win2000 'trees' vs 'domains' vs. 'sites'

13. Why can't Half-life be played with 'basic user' access ?