Programatically Starting/Stoping Non-Plug And Play devices...

Programatically Starting/Stoping Non-Plug And Play devices...

Post by Mike DeKoke » Wed, 31 Jul 2002 07:05:28

Does anyone know how I can programatically start or stop a non PNP legacy
driver in Win2k/XP? I know how to do it through the device manager but need
be able to do it within an app. The ControlService API is not working as I
would like it to. (I get ERROR_INVALID_SERVICE_CONTROL for an
SERVICE_CONTROL_STOP operation). I am assuming this is because I'm dealing
with a legacy device. Is there an alternate API for old, rusty drivers?
Thanks in advance....

Mike DeKoker

Programatically Starting/Stoping Non-Plug And Play devices...

Post by Eric Sassaman [MS » Wed, 07 Aug 2002 11:38:23

Cross-posting in microsoft.public.development.device.drivers. That's
the best place to post DDK issues and is monitored by Microsoft and
other device driver development experts. You'll find a much more
active community and
better support there.

If you are not sure where to post, see
http://msdn.microsoft.com/newsgroups for a good list of newsgroups for
programmers, or http://communities.microsoft.com for more Microsoft
products.

Sorry I can't answer your question for you here instead of redirecting
you, unfortunately I don't know the answer to your specific question,
but the folks in the recommended newsgroup above may.

You might also want to check http://support.microsoft.com for
technical support options for MS products if the above newsgroup
proves unfruitful.
_____________
Eric Sassaman
Microsoft Support
rights.

Quote:> Does anyone know how I can programatically start or stop a non PNP
legacy
> driver in Win2k/XP? I know how to do it through the device manager
but need
> be able to do it within an app. The ControlService API is not
working as I
> would like it to. (I get ERROR_INVALID_SERVICE_CONTROL for an
> SERVICE_CONTROL_STOP operation). I am assuming this is because I'm
dealing
> with a legacy device. Is there an alternate API for old, rusty
drivers?
> Thanks in advance....

> Mike DeKoker

1. removing inactive non-plug and play devices

In my device manager, under Non-Plug and Play Drivers, there are a few
grey-out devices that are, "Not present, not working properly, or do not
have all of [their] drivers installed." I recognize some of these as
belonging to utilities that I no longer use and assume they are safe to
delete; but what about the others? I can't figure out what they were related
to. Is it safe to remove? Here is a list, in the event that anyone
recognizes them:

Fs_Rec
NTACCESS
SetupNTGLM7X
vga

-mike

2. MEGALOMANIA

3. Removing Non-Plug and Play Drivers under Device Manager

4. SCADA products

5. non-Plug and Play Drivers

6. Does this exists? Temperature based AC motor controller?

7. ASLM75 : Non-Plug and Play drivers

8. WINS and Active Directory

9. Non Plug and Play Driver - ai2cnt ?

10. Plug and Play Detection on non-ACPI systems

11. How to install hiden non plug'n'play drivers?

12. non plug n play monitor

13. Q: dissable software install for Plug and Play devices in range for IR