Netbios, and dns name resolution

Post by Joe Richard » Tue, 19 Jun 2001 22:13:02

I didn't look at your sniffs but from your post I think I can describe what
is going on.

When you are trying to access a share you are using NetBIOS (NetBT in this
case - NetBIOS over TCP/IP). Well the connection scheme you should be seeing
when connecting to any NetBIOS share is the following:

1. Resolve Name to Address
2. Ping address with single echo to check if alive
3. Establish Networking Sesssion
4. Establish NetBIOS Sesssion
5. Pass Credentials
6. Exchange Data

You are probably doing 1-3 fine assuming the machine is up and running and
the name resolves properly. Your issue is going to come up in 4. When
establishing the NetBIOS session the client sends the server what name it
thinks he is. If that name doesn't jive then the connection is refused
because it thinks that the name was resolved wrong.

Ex.

I have machine joe, which has DNS of joe.home.com and a DNS alias of
bob.home.com.

When I connect to the name \\joe\c$, resolution is through WINS (1)
Then I shoot off the echo (2) and get a response
So I establish a TCP/IP session (3)
Then I attempt to establish the NetBIOS Sessions which means I say Hi, I am
looking for Joe to which the machine says, well you found him, I am Joe. (4)
And then on it goes....

When I connect to the name \\joe.home.com\c$, resolution trys WINS,  fails;
goes to DNS and succeeds.
Then I shoot off the echo (2) and get a response
So I establish a TCP/IP session (3)
Then I attempt the NetBIOS session so I chop the full name down to a short
host name (e.g. joe.home.com gets cut to joe) and send that to the machine
and it says, yep that's me.

When I connect to the name \\bob.home.com\c$, resolution trys WINS,  fails;
goes to DNS and succeeds.
Then I shoot off the echo (2) and get a response
So I establish a TCP/IP session (3)
Then just like with joe.home.com I chop the full name down to a short host
name, but this time the short name is bob, when I ask joe, Hi, are you bob?,
the machine says nope.
It tries this a few times and then comes back and says one of two things
that I have seen Bob doesn't exist or Duplicate name on the network.

Two ways that I know that get you around this are

1. Add a NetBIOS name to the name table via the registry. If you add the
name BOB to the name table the third example above should work.

2. Use an IP address directly to attach to the server. When the attempt is
through an IP address WinNT/2K is smart enough not to send the name first
but to ask for the name and then send that.

Hope this helps.

--
---
Joe Richards

Opinions expressed are, as always, Joe's and probably insulting to someone
somewhere so just relax. =)
http://www.joeware.net

Quote:> Hi,
> My problem is the following:
> If I try to get the \\n23456789.mol.hu\hktdszir or
> \\n2345567890.mol.hu\hktdszir shares, I get the followin error "The
network
> path was not found". The machine name from where I try to reach the share:
> eszolsipw2k (W2k professional)
> The machine name (netbios), where the share is on: szolhktd
> The host name on the client, where the share is on: szolhktd.mol.hu
> There is aliases in the DNS wich are pointing on the szolhktd.mol.hu
> The aliases: n23456789.mol.hu, and n234567890.mol.hu
> The w2kdis16.cap (and w2kdis15.cap) is the file, where I made disable the
> "enable DNS for name resolution" in the registry, and the w2kena16.cap
(and
> w2kena15.cap), where I am using these option. The w2kena15.cap is the
> working version!!!!: \\n23456789.mol.hu\hktdszir with the "enable DNS for
> name resolution". But the other three version is not working
(w2kdis16.cap,
> w2kdis15.cap, w2kena16.cap). I found in these capture files, that the wins
> server is not able to resolve the name (it's ok!) but the DNS is able to.
So
> after these, what coud be the problem?

> Info for the capture files:
> IP                                NETBIOS                  DNS1
> DNS2       SERVICE
> 171.31.107.111           Szolwins
> Wins,dns
> 171.31.130.69             Bpwins
> Wins,dns
> 171.31.228.120           eszol228120nts          eszolsmtp           ns
> Dns,smtp gw
> 171.31.107.120           mol_nt_pdc
> PDC

> Thank's,
> Szendrei Gbor
> MCSE+I, MCSE 2000, ASE

Netbios, and dns name resolution

Post by Szendru » Wed, 20 Jun 2001 20:11:02

Thank's the answer, it was very useful. The only question is, why the name
resolution is working, if the host name is 15 caracter long, and the "enable
DNS for name resolution" is checked. And it steel working, (regadless of the
"enable DNS for name resolution") if the host name is longer then 16
caracter.

> [...]

> > working version!!!!: \\n23456789.mol.hu\hktdszir with the "enable DNS
for
> > name resolution". But the other three version is not working
> (w2kdis16.cap,
> > w2kdis15.cap, w2kena16.cap). I found in these capture files, that the
wins
> > server is not able to resolve the name (it's ok!) but the DNS is able
to.
> So
> > after these, what coud be the problem?

> > Info for the capture files:
> > IP                                NETBIOS                  DNS1
> > DNS2       SERVICE
> > 171.31.107.111           Szolwins
> > Wins,dns
> > 171.31.130.69             Bpwins
> > Wins,dns
> > 171.31.228.120           eszol228120nts          eszolsmtp           ns

Post by Joe Richard » Thu, 21 Jun 2001 00:28:28

All of your examples show NetBIOS host names of less than 15 characters.
That 15 character limitation is the NetBIOS portion of the name limitation,
not on the Fully Qualified Host Name. The reason the limit is 15 characters
because the 16th character is used to store the type of name record (i.e.
1C, 20, 03, 00, etc).

--
---
> [...]

> > > working version!!!!: \\n23456789.mol.hu\hktdszir with the "enable DNS
> for
> > > name resolution". But the other three version is not working
> > (w2kdis16.cap,
> > > w2kdis15.cap, w2kena16.cap). I found in these capture files, that the
> wins
> > > server is not able to resolve the name (it's ok!) but the DNS is able
> to.
> > So
> > > after these, what coud be the problem?

> > > Info for the capture files:
> > > IP                                NETBIOS                  DNS1
> > > DNS2       SERVICE
> > > 171.31.107.111           Szolwins
> > > Wins,dns
> > > 171.31.130.69             Bpwins
> > > Wins,dns
> > > 171.31.228.120           eszol228120nts          eszolsmtp

Post by Szendru » Thu, 21 Jun 2001 20:05:26

Yes I know the Netbios 15 character limitation, but in my examples is the
follow:
1, If the fqdn is 15 character long (n2345678.mol.hu), and the "enable dns
for name resolution" checked, I can reach the share.
2, If the fqdn is 15 character long (n2345678.mol.hu), and the "enable dns
for name resolution" is not checked, I can't reach the share.
3, If the fqdn is 16 character long (n23456780.mol.hu), and the "enable dns
for name resolution" is checked, or not (no matter), I can't reach the
share.
4, If the fqdn is 17 character or more long (n234567890.mol.hu), and the
"enable dns for name resolution" is checked, or not (no matter), I always
can reach the share.

One more question. If I understand well, it is possible to give two or more
netbios name to the machine in the registry? Where is these registry key?

"Add a NetBIOS name to the name table via the registry. If you add the name
BOB to the name table the third example above should work"

Thank's the answers..
Szendrei Gabor

> [...]

things
> > > that I have seen Bob doesn't exist or Duplicate name on the network.

> > > Two ways that I know that get you around this are

> > > 1. Add a NetBIOS name to the name table via the registry. If you add
the
> > > name BOB to the name table the third example above should work.

> > > 2. Use an IP address directly to attach to the server. When the
attempt
> is
> > > through an IP address WinNT/2K is smart enough not to send the name
> first
> > > but to ask for the name and then send that.

> > > Hope this helps.

> > > --
> > > ---
> > > Joe Richards

> > > Opinions expressed are, as always, Joe's and probably insulting to

Post by Szendru » Thu, 21 Jun 2001 20:16:24

One more thing. I have found a very interesting article in the technet
(q137565)
The only problem that it is working only on NT4, because I can't find the
rdr key in the w2k registry :(
Any idea?

"Szendrus" <szendrei.ga...@montana.hu> wrote in message

> [...]

(i.e.
> > 1C, 20, 03, 00, etc).

> > --
> > ---
> > Joe Richards
> > humorexpr...@hotmail.com
> > Opinions expressed are, as always, Joe's and probably insulting to
someone
> > somewhere so just relax. =)
> > http://www.joeware.net

> > "Szendrus" <szendrei.ga...@montana.hu> wrote in message
> > > Thank's the answer, it was very useful. The only question is, why the
> name
> > > resolution is working, if the host name is 15 caracter long, and the
> > "enable
> > > DNS for name resolution" is checked. And it steel working, (regadless
of
> > the
> > > "enable DNS for name resolution") if the host name is longer then 16

1. Netbios and DNS name resolution

You did not expect this to work with the use of DNS for NetBIOS
names disabled did you.
When I look into the w2kena16.cap I see that DNS gave back
answer with both A and CNAME information in frame 9
The answere is identical to that in w2kena15.cap

--
Roger Abell  -  MS MVP (Windows Platform)
MCT, MCDBA, MCSE, MCP+I, CTT

2. .net quest

3. WINS, DNS and Netbios Name Resolution Problems

4. Be careful of the next generation of browsers

5. NetBIOS Name Resolution Using DNS?

6. closed multiple integral

7. Differnet NetBIOS name to DNS name

8. NPS WPS enhancer - WOW!

9. Published printers under DNS domain name in AD, not under Netbios name - how to fix?

10. netbios name / dns name

11. W2000 Client uses Netbios-Name instead of DNS-Name?

12. NetBIOS Name Resolution Problem

13. NETBIOS name resolution via w2k routing services