Abit BE6 and Win2k installation problem.

Abit BE6 and Win2k installation problem.

Post by Adam » Wed, 04 Apr 2001 15:57:41

I've been trying to install Win2k on my system but the installation always
locks up.  I have been told that there is a compatibility issue with the
on-board HighPoint ATA/66 controller, and that the only way to solve this is
to disable this controller and install a PCI controller card.  Has anyone
experienced this problem?  Does this sound like a good solution, and how do
I disable the onboard controller (I don't see that option in the BIOS)?

I did download the newest HighPoint drivers for Win2k and installed them
when asked during Win2k installation but it did not work.

Thanks...ADam

Post by Balo » Wed, 04 Apr 2001 17:49:39

>I've been trying to install Win2k on my system but the installation always
>locks up.  I have been told that there is a compatibility issue with the
>on-board HighPoint ATA/66 controller, and that the only way to solve this is
>to disable this controller and install a PCI controller card.  Has anyone
>experienced this problem?  Does this sound like a good solution, and how do
>I disable the onboard controller (I don't see that option in the BIOS)?

>I did download the newest HighPoint drivers for Win2k and installed them
>when asked during Win2k installation but it did not work.

I had a similar problem with my ASUS SE6 mobo. I had to disable ACPI
in my BIOS before I could install Windows2000.

I really do not know why this is. If anybody has a fix for this then
please, post it :-)

Yours sincerely,
Ramon Smits

Abit BE6 and Win2k installation problem.

Post by nowayandnoho » Wed, 04 Apr 2001 22:18:50

Hmmm, i had a similar problem with my abit motherboard. This is what I had
to do:

Set the bios setting to "fail safe settings"
See to that the "normal" IDE was enabled in bios (even though i didn't use
anything on it)

also i have noticed that win2k is kinda sensitive with shadowing bios memory
during install.
A good advice is to have the 'vanilla' setting on everyting in your BIOS
while installing (I.E no tweaking at all, set everything to 'lame') then you
can poke around after ytou have successfully installed everything.

good luck

// Jo

> >I've been trying to install Win2k on my system but the installation
always
> >locks up.  I have been told that there is a compatibility issue with the
> >on-board HighPoint ATA/66 controller, and that the only way to solve this
is
> >to disable this controller and install a PCI controller card.  Has anyone
> >experienced this problem?  Does this sound like a good solution, and how
do
> >I disable the onboard controller (I don't see that option in the BIOS)?

> >I did download the newest HighPoint drivers for Win2k and installed them
> >when asked during Win2k installation but it did not work.

> I had a similar problem with my ASUS SE6 mobo. I had to disable ACPI
> in my BIOS before I could install Windows2000.

> I really do not know why this is. If anybody has a fix for this then
> please, post it :-)

> Yours sincerely,
> Ramon Smits

Abit BE6 and Win2k installation problem.

Post by Iain Macdonal » Sat, 07 Apr 2001 15:59:08

Hi,

I'm new to this group, so apologies if this has been said before.

I have just installed Win2k on my system, which runs a Abit BE6 mobo.
First, download Win2k drivers for the Highpoint controller either from Abit
or Highpoint themselves.  Once done, expand them onto the root of a floppy
disk.

In the Abit Award Bios, go to BIOS settings and ensure that the boot routine
reads A, Ext, C and that Ext devices are UDMA66, not SCSI.  These settings
are together, about 1/3 of the way down the column.

At the start of the installation routine with floppy setup disk 1, Win2k
will ask if you want to install any additional SCSI controllers (this
message is fairly short lived, so watch out for it).  Press F6 to confirm.
After setup disk 2 has installed, you will be asked to insert your driver
disk for additional SCSI controllers.  Insert the disk you created, follow
the prompts and then continue the installation routine with the remaining
two windows setup floppies.  You will be asked for the Highpoint disk once
more as the Win2k CD installation kicks in.

If all is OK, Win2k should then install.  If you then go to device manager,
you will see two Highpoint controllers under SCSI devices.  You need to use
your Highpoint disk once more to update those drivers, which will be found
if you point the search to the A drive.

Hope this helps.

Mac

> I gave up on this board totally (be6 II) through not being able to get the
> hpt66 controller working after spending over 2 weeks trying various
> drivers/fixes/bios upgrades/tweaks etc etc.....

> The pci controller card will work ok (I tried it before ditching the
> board) - I used a promise version.

> If I remember rightly I didn't disable the hpt controller in bios or
board,
> I just didn't use it. I installed win2k with the hdd on ide0. This seemed
> bit pointless to me and since not being able to use the ide3 +4 channels,
> and my by now total mis-trust of the board, I turned to an msi 694d pro
ar.
> Incidentally, the exact same hardware installed no problem on this board
so
> it seemed to confirm that the hpt controller was the "culprit".

> Over on the abit newsgroup there is a guy who posts as TomG, he was very
> helpful in trying to resolve the problem for me (even though we never
> succeeded), but some of the advice he gave enabled other people to get up
> and running (different cards to mine and usually not win2k) so you might
do
> well to have a look there and see if you can get any help.

> Hope you have better luck than I did......

> --

> ***** replace you know what with btinternet *****
> <<
> <<

> > I've been trying to install Win2k on my system but the installation
always
> > locks up.  I have been told that there is a compatibility issue with the
> > on-board HighPoint ATA/66 controller, and that the only way to solve
this
> is
> > to disable this controller and install a PCI controller card.  Has
anyone
> > experienced this problem?  Does this sound like a good solution, and how
> do
> > I disable the onboard controller (I don't see that option in the BIOS)?

> > I did download the newest HighPoint drivers for Win2k and installed them
> > when asked during Win2k installation but it did not work.

> > Thanks...ADam

Abit BE6 and Win2k installation problem.

Post by Caretake » Sat, 07 Apr 2001 16:19:29

Think you should have responded on the original poster message for your
response Iain ;-)

Welcome anyway.

--

> [...]

> always
> > > locks up.  I have been told that there is a compatibility issue with
the
> > > on-board HighPoint ATA/66 controller, and that the only way to solve
> this
> > is
> > > to disable this controller and install a PCI controller card.  Has
> anyone
> > > experienced this problem?  Does this sound like a good solution, and
how
> > do
> > > I disable the onboard controller (I don't see that option in the
BIOS)?

> > > I did download the newest HighPoint drivers for Win2k and installed
them
> > > when asked during Win2k installation but it did not work.

> > > Thanks...ADam

Abit BE6 and Win2k installation problem.

Post by Cartman[FA » Mon, 09 Apr 2001 02:13:41

i have a be6 with dual celly's and acpi working - i don't use the highpoint
controller though :(

> I've been trying to install Win2k on my system but the installation always
> locks up.  I have been told that there is a compatibility issue with the
> on-board HighPoint ATA/66 controller, and that the only way to solve this
is
> to disable this controller and install a PCI controller card.  Has anyone
> experienced this problem?  Does this sound like a good solution, and how
do
> I disable the onboard controller (I don't see that option in the BIOS)?

> I did download the newest HighPoint drivers for Win2k and installed them
> when asked during Win2k installation but it did not work.

> Thanks...ADam

1. win2k hangs when system (abit be6-2) goes standby

A month ago the standby function of Win2k SP1 stopped working. When I press
standby (or wait til timer sets in) the system hangs (I of course mean:
"appears to hang" :-).

I liked the standby button A LOT, so please help me.
Ronald

System is:
Abit BE6 II
Diamond Viper 770 (AGP)
AVM Fritz ISDN (PCI )
Microsoft Internet Keyboard (USB)
Philips Vesta Pro Cam (USB)
Creative Labs SoundBlaster 16 (ISA)
Cheap RAM
Fujitsu UDMA66 Harddisk 15Gb

2. Web Page Printing With Epson 600

3. Verify where a client installs package from?

4. abit be6 - win2k compadibility issues

5. Mac printing book

6. Win2K and ABIT BE6 Board with HPT366

7. Does Supra 28.8 have voice mail?

8. ABIT BE6-II motherboard cant boot win2k server

9. ABIT BE6-II and HPT66 controller crashing Win2k

10. win2k and install with BE6 abit motherboard

11. Abit be6 - win2k compadibility issues

12. Wndows 2000 startup problems - ABIT BE6 v2