Duplicating Hard drive with Drive Image and changing CD Key

Duplicating Hard drive with Drive Image and changing CD Key

Post by r » Fri, 30 May 2003 22:08:42

I bought 32 Identical Dell PC's with Win 2000 and Office.  I setup one
with the software and configuration that I needed and used Drive Image
5.0 to make an image and copied it to the others.  The additional
software installation takes about 4 hrs each so this was faster and
less chances of error.
I have done 6 and realized that all the PC have the same Win 2000 and
Office Serial numbers.  Before I do the others, is there any easy way
to get the right serial numbers on each one.  Also, if I leave it,
does this violate any microsoft licence?  The correct Win 2000 serial
is stuck on top of the machine anyway.
Ravi

Duplicating Hard drive with Drive Image and changing CD Key

Post by Brian Desmond [MVP » Sat, 31 May 2003 10:29:02

Look into getting a volume license key from Microsoft so that you can use
the same key for all the PCs.

I'm not a licensing expert, but I would imagine you're fine so long as you
can prove you own the software.

--
--Brian Desmond
Windows Server MVP

Http://www.wpcp.org

Beta #469090

Quote:> I bought 32 Identical Dell PC's with Win 2000 and Office.  I setup one
> with the software and configuration that I needed and used Drive Image
> 5.0 to make an image and copied it to the others.  The additional
> software installation takes about 4 hrs each so this was faster and
> less chances of error.
> I have done 6 and realized that all the PC have the same Win 2000 and
> Office Serial numbers.  Before I do the others, is there any easy way
> to get the right serial numbers on each one.  Also, if I leave it,
> does this violate any microsoft licence?  The correct Win 2000 serial
> is stuck on top of the machine anyway.
> Ravi

1. A problem with my second hard drive: Two drive letters, one single hard drive

A few months ago, I had experienced problems with my second hard drive that
was installed on my Windows 98SE machine. It has an AMD K6-1 processor at
233MHZ, 64 MB SDRAM, 4GB Hard Drive (my first drive), 2.5GB Hard Drive (my
second drive), 4X CD-ROM drive (i know it's old, but i'm planning to upgrade
it in the near future) and a 2x write/2x re-write/6x read CD burner. The
problem is something with my secondary drive, my 2.5GB Hard Drive. I've
first bought that drive at a Computer show on November 2002. It was working
fine when I installed it in properly and sucessfully. When I found out when
I decide to do a clean installation of my operating system on my C: Drive,
there's something that I should tell you that will shock you. I've rebooted
my computer, put the startup disk (customized with FDISK and DELPART)  in my
floppy drive. Start the installation from the CD-ROM and used the Delpart
utility to remove the partitions on my computer. I've removed the C:
Partition off my computer. Without knowing, I accidently removed the other
partition (which is my second hard drive) off my computer intentionnally
without noticing. This, in my prediction, caused the second hard drive to
assign another letter and thus move the drive designation letters up one
letter. The other day, I've completely did a clean installation of my
Windows installation. But I discovered that the secondary drive (which is my
2.5GB Hard Drive) has anothe letter assigned on it's own drive. It assigned
a E: drive and it has the exact duplicate of my drive. This does not contain
other operating system or a previous version of Windows (even with a few
tries), just only the downloads and other files.

Here's how it goes:

As shown (predicted) after the Clean installation of Windows 98SE:

3 1/2 floppy
C: Hard Drive
D: Hard Drive }
E: Hard Drive  } both in one secondary drive
F: CD-ROM
G: CD- Burner

Should be like this:

C: Hard Drive
D: Hard Drive
E: CD-ROM
F: CD-Burner

I believe that the E: is a virtual drive on my secondary drive in my
prediction, so I don't know how this is caused in my computer. It occured
maybe before the new year.

So, do you know what caused the drive letters to add in to my secondary
drive and change my other drive letter designations to go up one letter? How
do I remove it ? Should reconfigure the IDE jumpers and use a partitioning
program like FDISK and DELPART? I don't feel like putting that secondary
hard drive on my other computer because it will be the same as the Windows
98SE computer. Or even in worse cases, throw the drive away?

If you have any questions comments or suggestions to my computer problem,
please do not hesistate to do so. Thanks.

2. Was M505 Available on eBay - Test Unit Problems

3. How to change the CD ROM and CD-RW to Y drive Z Drive

4. Need CDRW help - again!

5. Drive Image 2002 does not find CD ROM drives

6. Sick of Stik

7. Drive Image won't write an image to an NTFS drive

8. Quick 130XE repair question

9. DMA on Hard Drive and CD Drive possible?

10. Hard drive and CD drive on same IDE channel?

11. Redirect cd drive access to a hard drive file.

12. Backing up hard drive using a CD-RW drive.

13. Changing drive letter of CD ROM drives.