New Hard Drive in a dual-boot system

Post by Michel Gelobte » Fri, 23 Jun 2000 04:00:00

I recently installed a new maxtor 60GB hard drive to replace a small second
hard drive which is the primary w2k partition.  I let maxtor's utility copy
my d: drive partition containing W2K to the new drive.  I have a dual-boot
system, booting W2k and win98.

In win2k, the new drive is seen as G:.  I would like to remove the old D:
drive and have win2k be based on the new drive, read as D:.  How can I do
this?

Do I need to reinstall w2k, or is there a utility that allows me to have w2k
recognize this second drive as D: once I remove the old one?

Thanks!

PS:  If I need to reinstall, something tells me I will need to remove the
dual-boot before doing so.  Do I just do this by running "sys" on c: under
win98?

New Hard Drive in a dual-boot system

Post by Marko B » Fri, 23 Jun 2000 04:00:00

use Disk Image - get the demo from the net and use it - it DOES work as it
should
this is the only way i know off that you can do this with only one PC :(((

i think MS should provide some utility for this on the w2k CD...

Quote:> I recently installed a new maxtor 60GB hard drive to replace a small
second
> hard drive which is the primary w2k partition.  I let maxtor's utility
copy
> my d: drive partition containing W2K to the new drive.  I have a dual-boot
> system, booting W2k and win98.

> In win2k, the new drive is seen as G:.  I would like to remove the old D:
> drive and have win2k be based on the new drive, read as D:.  How can I do
> this?

> Do I need to reinstall w2k, or is there a utility that allows me to have
w2k
> recognize this second drive as D: once I remove the old one?

> Thanks!

> PS:  If I need to reinstall, something tells me I will need to remove the
> dual-boot before doing so.  Do I just do this by running "sys" on c: under
> win98?

New Hard Drive in a dual-boot system

Post by R. C. Whit » Sun, 25 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Hi, Michel.

Did you try simply removing the old second drive and plugging in the new one
it its place?  If the new one is formatted as only a single PRIMARY
partition, then it should become D:.  If it is an extended partition, then
any logical volumes in it should get letters after the volumes in the
extended partition on the first drive.

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Quote:> I recently installed a new maxtor 60GB hard drive to replace a small
second
> hard drive which is the primary w2k partition.  I let maxtor's utility
copy
> my d: drive partition containing W2K to the new drive.  I have a dual-boot
> system, booting W2k and win98.

> In win2k, the new drive is seen as G:.  I would like to remove the old D:
> drive and have win2k be based on the new drive, read as D:.  How can I do
> this?

> Do I need to reinstall w2k, or is there a utility that allows me to have
w2k
> recognize this second drive as D: once I remove the old one?

> Thanks!

> PS:  If I need to reinstall, something tells me I will need to remove the
> dual-boot before doing so.  Do I just do this by running "sys" on c: under
> win98?

New Hard Drive in a dual-boot system

Post by Greg Thiedeck » Mon, 26 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Actually michel you are wrong here. Dos/ win9x would arrange drive letters
as you say eg:

physical disk 1  c
physical disk 2  d
extended partition on disk 1 e
cd roms

Win 2000 doesn't force you into this.

Win2k by default adds new drives at the end of the letter tree
sort of

physical disk 1
extended partition
cdroms
physical disk 2

You can actually assign any letter you want to any drive you want with disk
management so the mapping is up to you

> Hi, Michel.

> Did you try simply removing the old second drive and plugging in the new
one
> it its place?  If the new one is formatted as only a single PRIMARY
> partition, then it should become D:.  If it is an extended partition, then
> any logical volumes in it should get letters after the volumes in the
> extended partition on the first drive.

> RC
> --
> R. C. White, CPA
> San Marcos, TX

> > I recently installed a new maxtor 60GB hard drive to replace a small
> second
> > hard drive which is the primary w2k partition.  I let maxtor's utility
> copy
> > my d: drive partition containing W2K to the new drive.  I have a
dual-boot
> > system, booting W2k and win98.

> > In win2k, the new drive is seen as G:.  I would like to remove the old
D:
> > drive and have win2k be based on the new drive, read as D:.  How can I
do
> > this?

> > Do I need to reinstall w2k, or is there a utility that allows me to have
> w2k
> > recognize this second drive as D: once I remove the old one?

> > Thanks!

> > PS:  If I need to reinstall, something tells me I will need to remove
the
> > dual-boot before doing so.  Do I just do this by running "sys" on c:
under
> > win98?

New Hard Drive in a dual-boot system

Post by Michel Gelobte » Tue, 27 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Thanks for all the answers, but the basic problem appears to be that, even
with a disk image copied, W2k won't boot to the new disk, and further
reports most of my c: drive, on which win 98 sits and my documents, as
"unallocated", even though the stuff is there!

I think that w2k security is keeping me from just swapping actual disks,
given that the new one is, in fact, different.

Any suggestions for overcoming this?

> Actually michel you are wrong here. Dos/ win9x would arrange drive letters
> as you say eg:

> physical disk 1  c
> physical disk 2  d
> extended partition on disk 1 e
> cd roms

> Win 2000 doesn't force you into this.

> Win2k by default adds new drives at the end of the letter tree
> sort of

> physical disk 1
> extended partition
> cdroms
> physical disk 2

> You can actually assign any letter you want to any drive you want with
disk
> management so the mapping is up to you

> > Hi, Michel.

> > Did you try simply removing the old second drive and plugging in the new
> one
> > it its place?  If the new one is formatted as only a single PRIMARY
> > partition, then it should become D:.  If it is an extended partition,
then
> > any logical volumes in it should get letters after the volumes in the
> > extended partition on the first drive.

> > RC
> > --
> > R. C. White, CPA
> > San Marcos, TX

> > > I recently installed a new maxtor 60GB hard drive to replace a small
> > second
> > > hard drive which is the primary w2k partition.  I let maxtor's utility
> > copy
> > > my d: drive partition containing W2K to the new drive.  I have a
> dual-boot
> > > system, booting W2k and win98.

> > > In win2k, the new drive is seen as G:.  I would like to remove the old
> D:
> > > drive and have win2k be based on the new drive, read as D:.  How can I
> do
> > > this?

> > > Do I need to reinstall w2k, or is there a utility that allows me to
have
> > w2k
> > > recognize this second drive as D: once I remove the old one?

> > > Thanks!

> > > PS:  If I need to reinstall, something tells me I will need to remove
> the
> > > dual-boot before doing so.  Do I just do this by running "sys" on c:
> under
> > > win98?

New Hard Drive in a dual-boot system

Post by Duncan A. McRa » Tue, 27 Jun 2000 04:00:00

Yes, and no!  I've had the same problem in the past.  I think the problem is
that the new drive isn't marked as a boot drive.  I believe you can simply
rewrite the boot record in order to accomplish what you're after.  In times
past, you'd do something like "fdisk /mbr", but what the process is nowadays
I can't comment (I think the fix I mention died with NT).

Duncan A. McRae

  Visit my local (Toronto) PC hardware-dealers' page:
  http://www.mcrae.ca/hardware/

> Thanks for all the answers, but the basic problem appears to be that, even
> with a disk image copied, W2k won't boot to the new disk, and further
> reports most of my c: drive, on which win 98 sits and my documents, as
> "unallocated", even though the stuff is there!

> I think that w2k security is keeping me from just swapping actual disks,
> given that the new one is, in fact, different.

> Any suggestions for overcoming this?

> > Actually michel you are wrong here. Dos/ win9x would arrange drive
letters
> > as you say eg:

> > physical disk 1  c
> > physical disk 2  d
> > extended partition on disk 1 e
> > cd roms

> > Win 2000 doesn't force you into this.

> > Win2k by default adds new drives at the end of the letter tree
> > sort of

> > physical disk 1
> > extended partition
> > cdroms
> > physical disk 2

> > You can actually assign any letter you want to any drive you want with
> disk
> > management so the mapping is up to you

> > > Hi, Michel.

> > > Did you try simply removing the old second drive and plugging in the
new
> > one
> > > it its place?  If the new one is formatted as only a single PRIMARY
> > > partition, then it should become D:.  If it is an extended partition,
> then
> > > any logical volumes in it should get letters after the volumes in the
> > > extended partition on the first drive.

> > > RC
> > > --
> > > R. C. White, CPA
> > > San Marcos, TX

> > > second
> > > copy
> > dual-boot

> > D:
> > do

> have
> > > w2k

> > the
> > under

1. System can't see 2nd hard drive after installing dual boot...

First of all, thanks for all the help in determining partition sizes
for my dual boot setup. Everything went well and it's up and
running...well sort of. On my 20GB drive I created two 2.5GB
partitions for W98se and W2k. The remaining space I reserved for
programs and data. I also created an extended partition out of a
second 2GB drive that I have for extra space.

For some reason, the system can't see my second hard drive. In fact,
the system won't even boot with it attached. I've tried my boot disk
and even tried booting off the CD...nothing. If I disconnect the
second drive, it boots fine. What's the problem here? Any ideas?
Thanks for any help.

Deep

2. Aviano Scenery for FS98?

3. replacing a hard drive in a dual-boot configuration

4. QY70 and Mac problem.

5. Win2k in dual-boot: no 2nd hard drive

6. ATI radeon PCI

7. CD-ROM/CDRW drive letter switch on dual-boot system!

8. Missing pointer

9. inaccessible boot drive blue screen post new hard drive

10. Please help adding Win2K to a new drive (my other drive has Win98) and dual booting

11. Drive c: unknown file system after SP3 instal on dual boot system

12. How to copy system/boot partition to another drive and make the new drive c:?

13. Dual Boot Win 2000 - Dual Boot Systems.zip (0/1)