How to get Advanced Server to recognize a harddrive formatted on XP

How to get Advanced Server to recognize a harddrive formatted on XP

Post by ¤¤YoYoMa¤ » Tue, 25 Mar 2003 13:17:11

I formated and filled a harddrive on my machine running XP. Now I'd
like to install that harddrive on a machine running Advanced Server
2k. When I install the drive and view it within Disk Management it
shows the disk type as unknown and there is a minus sign in a red
circle on it.

Is there anyway to get the machine running AS2k to recogonize the disk
and all its data?

thanks,

YoYoMa

Post by Jerold Schulma » Tue, 25 Mar 2003 21:36:15

>I formated and filled a harddrive on my machine running XP. Now I'd
>like to install that harddrive on a machine running Advanced Server
>2k. When I install the drive and view it within Disk Management it
>shows the disk type as unknown and there is a minus sign in a red
>circle on it.

>Is there anyway to get the machine running AS2k to recogonize the disk
>and all its data?

>thanks,

>YoYoMa

Windows XP formats "NTFS 5.1".
Windows 2000 uses "NTFS 5.0"

Jerold Schulman
Windows Server MVP / Configuration Management
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com

How to get Advanced Server to recognize a harddrive formatted on XP

Post by ¤¤YoYoMa¤ » Wed, 26 Mar 2003 12:40:51

Does that mean it can't be done?

YoYoMa

>>I formated and filled a harddrive on my machine running XP. Now I'd
>>like to install that harddrive on a machine running Advanced Server
>>2k. When I install the drive and view it within Disk Management it
>>shows the disk type as unknown and there is a minus sign in a red
>>circle on it.

>>Is there anyway to get the machine running AS2k to recogonize the disk
>>and all its data?

>>thanks,

>>YoYoMa

>Windows XP formats "NTFS 5.1".
>Windows 2000 uses "NTFS 5.0"

>Jerold Schulman
>Windows Server MVP / Configuration Management
>JSI, Inc.
>http://www.jsiinc.com

How to get Advanced Server to recognize a harddrive formatted on XP

Post by Jonathan Marti » Thu, 27 Mar 2003 03:18:19

Since you have AS, you should have a rather large server to go along with it
( High than 4 gigs or RAM). In other words, are you putting a small PC
harddrive into a monster server? It did come out of a XP machine, right? If
so, BIOS may be unhappy about something. That's the first place I would
look, assuming that I assumed correctly.

Quote:> I formated and filled a harddrive on my machine running XP. Now I'd
> like to install that harddrive on a machine running Advanced Server
> 2k. When I install the drive and view it within Disk Management it
> shows the disk type as unknown and there is a minus sign in a red
> circle on it.

> Is there anyway to get the machine running AS2k to recogonize the disk
> and all its data?

> thanks,

> YoYoMa

1. Trouble getting XP to recognize my camera

I have a Sony DSC-S75 digital cybershot camera. I have plugged it in and
turned the power on but nothing is happening. I contacted Sony and they
advised me that XP should recognize the camera automaticly, they advised me
not to install the drivers that came on the original disk as they were not
needed. I checked out the add a camera feature and I don't see any Sony
cameras listed there. I fail to see how we can install a camera the XP
obviously has not included in the list. Can anyone suggest a solution to
this problem.

--
Bruce & Brenda Flett, RR#5 Twin City Crossroad, Thunder Bay, Ont.  P7C 5M9

2. Multi-Platform Compression

3. Installing Win2000 Advanced Server on SCSI harddrive

4. Oracle Forms4.5 / Visual Basic

5. my winxp workstations gets disconnected from my win2000 advanced server

6. hardware simulation

7. Re-Formatting Hard Drive, New install of Windows 2000 Advanced Server

8. NC-Raleigh-SW QA Engineer

9. Supported media formats for Win2000 Advanced Server

10. formatting windows 2000 advanced server

11. Upgrading to Advanced server - Getting Blue screens

12. WIN2000 won't recognise whole harddrive in ASUS A7N8X DLX

13. slave harddrive not recognized