Group Policy software distribution

Post by haroldnjo » Sat, 22 Sep 2001 03:26:24

I have a couple of questions on using Group Policy to deploy software.

1. I set up a GPO to push Service Pack 2 to the desktops.  Is there a way to
get it to recognize systems that have already installed SP2 prior to the GPO
implementation?

2. How can I create msi scripts for applications (such as IE6) which don't
include their own scripts?  Is there a way to distribute this software in
Group Policy without the use of msi scripts?

Thank you for your time,

Group Policy software distribution

Post by Mike Crabtre » Tue, 02 Oct 2001 18:39:05

On the server cd in \VALUEADD\3RDPARTY\MGMT\WINSTLE is the WINinstall LE
product from veritas that allows you to create MSI packages for any
application.

As to IE6 - the KB below might help:

Mike Crabtree  MVP

How to Deploy IE Without Local Administrator Logon [Q296702]

PSS ID Number: Q296702
Article last modified on 07-31-2001

:5.5 Service Pack 1

This article discusses a Beta release of a Microsoft product. The
information in this article is provided as-is and is subject to change
without notice.

No formal product support is available from Microsoft for this Beta
product. For information about obtaining support for a Beta release,
please see the documentation included with the Beta product files, or
check the Web location from which you downloaded the release.
-

 - Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 Public Preview for Windows 2000
- Microsoft Internet Explorer version 5.5 Service Pack 1 for Windows 2000
-

SUMMARY
=======

This article describes how to deploy Internet Explorer throughout a work
environment without the need for local administrator logon.

MORE INFORMATION
================

It can be a costly task for enterprise customers to deploy Internet Explorer
in
a large corporate environment because the setup of Internet Explorer requires
at
least one administrator logon for each client computer. However, many users
may
not be able to access their clients to perform the Internet Explorer setup if
they are denied administrator privileges because of corporate security policy.
If users are denied the administrator privilege, the administrator must
physically access each client to complete the Internet Explorer installation.
The installation costs can increase substantially as the number of clients
increases.

For administrators who use Microsoft Systems Management Server (SMS) to manage
their networks, the following two articles describe a method to use SMS to
work
around the administrator logon issue:

   Q223371 Installing Internet Explorer 5 to Windows NT 4.0 Using SMS 1.2

   Q223372 How to Install Internet Explorer 5 to Windows NT 4.0 Using Systems
  Management Server 2.0

NOTE: The methods that are described in this article requires that all of the
clients and at least one domain controller run Microsoft Windows 2000. These
methods use the User Rights Deployment (URD) feature, which is a new feature
of
Internet Explorer Administration Kit (IEAK) version 5.5.

For additional information about the User Rights Deployment feature, click the
article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

   Q260090 Users Without Administrator Privileges Can Complete Internet
Explorer
  Installation After Reboot

The following two methods demonstrate how to deploy Internet Explorer without
the
need for local administrator logon.

Method 1
--------

1. Use IEAK 5.5 to build a URD-enabled package.

2. Create a computer startup script to start the Ie5setup.exe program.

3. In the Group Policy object (GPO), assign the startup script to the clients.

An example of a sample startup script:

   on error resume next

   set wshShell=wscript.CreateObject("wscript.shell")

   bld=wshShell.RegRead("HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Build")

   if bld<>"54522.1800" then
     wshShell.run "\\xywei02\iesetup\check\flat\win32\en\ie5setup.exe /q", 1,
True
  end if

   if err.number<>0 then
    wscript.echo "Error[" & err.number & "]:" & err.description
  end if

Method 2
--------

1. Use IEAK 5.5 to build a URD-disabled package.

2. Copy the Ie55urd.exe and Ie5.msi files into the package.

3. Create a Microsoft Installer (MSI) wrapper for the Ie5setup.exe program.

4. Create a shutdown script to start the Ie55urd.exe program (the sample
  script).

5. In the GPO, assign the MSI wrapper of the Ie5setup.exe program to the
  clients.

6. In the GPO, assign the shutdown script to the clients.

An example of a sample shutdown script:

   on error resume next

   set wshShell=wscript.CreateObject("wscript.shell")

clrStub=wshShell.RegRead("HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOn
ce\BrandClearStubs")

   if err.number=0 then 'Just finished IE5setup
    wshShell.run "\\xywei02\iesetup\check\flat\win32\en\ie55urd.exe",1, True
  end if

Additional query words:

Keywords          : kbnetwork kbsetup
Technology        : kbOSWin2000 kbIEsearch kbIE600Search kbIE2000Search
kbIE550Win2000SP1 kbIE600Win2000 kbZnotKeyword7 kbIE550Search
Version           : :5.5 Service Pack 1
Issue type        : kbinfo
Copyright Microsoft Corporation 2001.

Group Policy software distribution

Post by David Pap » Thu, 11 Oct 2001 06:27:48

I attempted method one of that article, but have had a persistent
problem installing using that script. The script will start and run
for some time, but will error out with a dialog titled "Windows
Scripting Host" and a message of 'Unknown Option "-" Specified'.  I've
tried repackaging it with different options, but have not yet found a
package that works. I've also had little luck trying to install with a
WinInstall LE package.  Any ideas?

-D.

Group Policy software distribution

Post by Mike Crabtre » Fri, 12 Oct 2001 22:11:54

Presumably Veritas have a full-blown version of the product - but I guess that
could be expensive.

I've not done much with scripts myself - but I know people have successfully
used the WInstall LE product from the server CD

Mike Crabtree  MVP