close netbios ?!?

Post by io.co » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 07:04:54

Hi,

i would like Know if are some problem if i close a netbios servies and
remove a administrative share how C$ and IPC$ ...
What may happened ? It' s' possible a malfunction on the server ?
My scenario is mixed : AD 2000 , old PDC nt4 and IIS ...

Thanks in advance

close netbios ?!?

Post by Steven L Umbac » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 11:24:41

     In a pure Native Mode all W2K network you might be able to do it if you
do not have any applications that rely on netbios names and want to use
Active Directory for all locating of network shares/services, but since you
have NT4.0 you can not do that because NT4.0 and W9X rely on netbios names
to locate network resources. Of couse you may be able to disable netbios
over tcp/ip on select computers if there is a need to, but not domain
controllers.  The greatest threat from using netbios over tcp/ip, is if the
associated ports are available from the internet and other untrusted
networks. A firewall [even a very inexpensive one] if properly configured
can effectivley protect your network from nbt exploits. --- Steve

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=299977
http://scan.sygatetech.com/

Quote:> Hi,